The purpose of the jews in chapterhouse.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Kojiro

Re: The purpose of the jews in chapterhouse.

Post by Kojiro »

Kensai wrote:
Superdog wrote:One of the things we definitely see in Dune is the moral degeneracy that comes with victory. When the Fremen conquer Shaddam, they flip their lids and kill billions of people. Fremen lose their culture, become dug addicts, criminals, corrupt priests, dishonest etc. Things you would never have seen before they achieved their ascendancy.
Well thats what the Fish Speaker wern't supposed to be, but I think in reality they wouldn't be that exempt from all that (and banning men from the military doesn't solve the problem it just puts it away put of sight.

Maybe in Dune 7, where Frank Herbert would have revealed the identiy of the Great Enamy that had driven back the Honored Matres back to the Old Empire, the Great Enamy would have been revealed to be a race of Nazi Zombies.
In Dune, they're called gholas, not zombies.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Kensai wrote:
Superdog wrote:One of the things we definitely see in Dune is the moral degeneracy that comes with victory. When the Fremen conquer Shaddam, they flip their lids and kill billions of people. Fremen lose their culture, become dug addicts, criminals, corrupt priests, dishonest etc. Things you would never have seen before they achieved their ascendancy.
Well thats what the Fish Speaker wern't supposed to be, but I think in reality they wouldn't be that exempt from all that (and banning men from the military doesn't solve the problem it just puts it away put of sight.

Maybe in Dune 7, where Frank Herbert would have revealed the identiy of the Great Enamy that had driven back the Honored Matres back to the Old Empire, the Great Enamy would have been revealed to be a race of Nazi Zombies.
The Fishspeakers were exempt from it just because Leto II held a stern hand over them I suppose. But after he was gone they morphed into HM, so that didn't turn out well.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm not so sure the Honored Matres were "driven back" to the Old Empire. They were there looking for ways to fight the Enemy but I had the reeling they were just part of a much larger force still out in The Scattering.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm not so sure the Honored Matres were "driven back" to the Old Empire. They were there looking for ways to fight the Enemy but I had the reeling they were just part of a much larger force still out in The Scattering.
Too lazy to look for quotes now, but I think somewhere the BGs speculate that the HMs must be running away from a powerful adversary, which is either supported by a conversation between Logno and the Spider Queen, or inner thoughts of one of them, or Odrade suggests this during her imprisonment, and the Spider Queen does not deny it.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

MrFlibble wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I'm not so sure the Honored Matres were "driven back" to the Old Empire. They were there looking for ways to fight the Enemy but I had the reeling they were just part of a much larger force still out in The Scattering.
Too lazy to look for quotes now, but I think somewhere the BGs speculate that the HMs must be running away from a powerful adversary, which is either supported by a conversation between Logno and the Spider Queen, or inner thoughts of one of them, or Odrade suggests this during her imprisonment, and the Spider Queen does not deny it.
You mean Lucilla's imprisonment I suppose.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So you're saying that there are NO HM still out in The Scattering and ALL of them have retreated to the Old Empire?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"These are people from the Scattering. Their offer of alliance is an opening
into places where Honored Matres originate."

Note the use of the word "originate". If it had said "originated" I might believe they had all been chased back to the Old Empire. However, this leads me to believe they are still coming from there.
~Pink Snowman
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Freakzilla wrote:So you're saying that there are NO HM still out in The Scattering and ALL of them have retreated to the Old Empire?
Nope, I didn't say or imply that. It is my understanding that the only thing that can be said for sure from the information provided in the books is that the HMs who came to the Old Empire are not merely conquerors, but they were looking for more resources to counter the attacks of the unknown Enemy. I've no idea if they were a scouting party, or a large portion of the HM army, or they were making their own Scattering (remember the Face Dancers who infiltrated the HMs in Heretics say that each "cell" splits from the rest of the group, erasing all data about their origins from their ships?). In any case, it is suggested that the HMs have become desperate and are losing to the unknown Enemy.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OK, I can agree with that.
~Pink Snowman
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks :lol: Now I'm not sure about this, but I think that what little information is there in the books does not allow to make any clear statements about the HMs, except that there were lots of them compared to the population of the Old Empire - which should not be very surprising since the Old Empire constituted only a small fraction of human-colonized space. I am also not sure if the command structure of the HMs was centralized - that the Spider Queen's title of the Great Honored Matre gave her authority of all HMs everywhere in the Universe, or she was just a local warlord, and the political situation in the HM-conquered space was that of feudal division :think:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, as you noted previously, the HM seem to cut themselves off and form a new cell each time they expand. I would assume that each cell would have its own GHM.
~Pink Snowman
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

lotek wrote:Frank was always one for hidden symbolism and messages, so it is a safe bet to think the Jews had a potential role to play, but the beauty of his writing(to me anyway)lies in the fact that it is not necessary.
For most not too uneducated people(we know what they represent for some...) they are the embodiment of scattering for survival, and their presence gives that extra thing just by that "simple" fact.

Adding the wild RM card to that is a way of giving them more importance than just making a point...

I haven't read Chapterhouse in a while so I'd not want to come up with theories based on partial memories though.
As always your insight wins.

Frank taught me the difference between education and understanding. Because in the end, I am finding, they are not the same - education is useless without understanding.
hannabaal

Post by hannabaal »

Jessica saw the slave cribs on Bela Tegeuse down that inner corridor, saw the weeding out and the selecting that spread men to Rossak and Harmonthep. Scenes of brutal ferocity opened to her like the petals of a terrible flower. And she saw the thread of the past carried by Sayyadina after Sayyadina - first by word of mouth, hidden in the sand chanteys, then refined through their own Reverend Mothers with the discovery of the poison drug on Rossak . . . and now developed to subtle strengthen Arrakis in the discovery of the Water of Life.

Far down the inner corridor, another voice screamed: "Never to forgive! Never to forget!"

The purpose of the jews in chapterhouse may be linked to the first book through the above quote, which i always associate with the Holocaust. Just a little context here, this thread is well done.
Laws to suppress tend to strengthen what they would prohibit. This is the fine point on which all the legal professions of history have based their job security.
Bene Gesserit Coda

We got to protect our phony baloney jobs, gentlemen!
Mel Brooks as the governor in Blazing Saddles
distrans

Post by distrans »

racheal really stuck it to the rabbi over the abject horror of past attrocities committed by The jews which their faith had ignored and forgotten,

but frank wrote it as if she hadnt had access to these memories until sharing with lucilla... which doesnt makes sense if she was already a reverend mother.

id say he included them to call bullshit on their modern states manifestations

"our god should mature as we do" racheal put it
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't remember it that way but maybe she had no mohalata (sp?) to help her collate her memories until she received the Lampadas hoard.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

distrans wrote:racheal really stuck it to the rabbi over the abject horror of past attrocities committed by The jews which their faith had ignored and forgotten,

but frank wrote it as if she hadnt had access to these memories until sharing with lucilla... which doesnt makes sense if she was already a reverend mother.

Your assumption here is that Rachels ancestors had the memories in the 1st place. Which of course may or may not have been the case, Perhaps she just didn't look.
distrans

Post by distrans »

frank did go out of his way to make them seem as though they had been cloistered and underground since old terra,
my earlier takes honestly was that the sharing brought these memories to here, rather than revealed them

mabe it was just the sharing and the bene gesserit understanding she recieved
allowed her to understand the memories she had already
well enough to use them in dealing with the rabbi

any discussions of wild reverend mothers here?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

distrans wrote:any discussions of wild reverend mothers here?
You're referring to the Freman Reverend Mothers?

After a quick look this is all I turned up. Do you have a theory or question?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=961

edit: add url
distrans

Post by distrans »

thinking of the fremen and jewish wild ones,

id always thought that bene gesserit training was essential to surviving the ordeal
so it was implied that all wild reverend mothers were decended from BG trained at the very least
sometime back

i dont think that anymore

but i do think that without the training
the wild RM would emerge from the ordeal
quite different than what bene gesserits do
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

inhuien wrote:
distrans wrote:racheal really stuck it to the rabbi over the abject horror of past attrocities committed by The jews which their faith had ignored and forgotten,

Your assumption here is that Rachels ancestors had the memories in the 1st place. Which of course may or may not have been the case, Perhaps she just didn't look.
This seems more likely to me. After seeing the same events from multiple points-of-view she was much more likely to put everything into perspective. Indeed, she probably didn't even look because for what reason would she have needed to?

It's my guess that Frank included them because of the similarities they share with the Museum Fremen and in our current time they're one of the groups that reaches for that unbroken chain to the past.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
kindjal

Post by kindjal »

I like the jews in Dune.
They are a twist in the story.
Their culture unchanged for millennias, they are able to remember from that older days.
I think that they are the counterparts of the Bg.
Umma tamut wa-umma tanbut - one nation dies and another is born
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

They're contemporariness not counterparts of the BG. Like the Van Gogh, Thatched Cottages at Cordeville in Mother Superior's anti chamber. Remnants of old earth.

pathjumper

Post by pathjumper »

Superdog wrote:
Kensai wrote:

The Fishspeakers were exempt from it just because Leto II held a stern hand over them I suppose. But after he was gone they morphed into HM, so that didn't turn out well.
You're correct. The lesson here is, a group of women working together are so formidable that they can conquer almost anything with no additional help. But to fully realize their potential they need a benevolent male leader to guide them. The same is true for humans today, and bonobo society functions similarly, sort of like the chimps, but more benevolently, with more love, and more sex.
Last edited by pathjumper on 02 Aug 2013 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
pathjumper

Post by pathjumper »

But to get back to the topic of jews in chapterhouse. I think what Herbert was trying to say is that, no matter what happens, they are such a strongly cohesive group that they will weather anything and last through it. Einstein's writings on anti-semitism echo this if you can find them.

If nothing else, the Jews are survivors. I mean, he did express it rather eloquently. It is implicit that they are the same Jews that we know today, I contend. They made a brief appearance only at the very end directly that I remember (it's been too long since I reread the canonical-6), but the fact they were still around, after ~50K years before Dune, survived Paul's rise to power, survived Paul's insane sister's brief reign, survived Leto II's 3500 year reign, survived the lean years that the guild nearly didn't survive, survied the rise of the Tlielaxu, and Ixians, survived the wars with the HM with Teg, and were still fucking there after the proliferation of no-ships. At this point, I'm not sure a galactic-wide extinction event could kill them.

The lesson I gleaned from all of that is this: It is far worse than a waste of time to anything but be their uneasy allies because they will simply outlive you to death. If that is the case, might as well make friends with them, but accept that they look after themselves first. To each their own, eh?

edit: Paul's sister, not Leto's.
Last edited by pathjumper on 26 Sep 2013 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Aquila ka Hecate

Post by Aquila ka Hecate »

pathjumper wrote:.. Leto's insane sister's brief reign,..
Just to nitpick, that'd be Paul's insane sister, yes?