Jessica's mother

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SimonH

Jessica's mother

Post by SimonH »

I've just been re-reading the series. This paraphraph jumped out at me
FH in Children of Dune wrote:"The Lady Jessica plans to breed those twins together!" he rasped. "That's
what the Sisterhood wants. Incest!"
She blinked. "Idle rumor." She swallowed, "The Bene Gesserits will not let
such a rumor run wild in the Imperium. We still have some influence. Remember
that."
"Rumor? What rumor? You've certainly held your options open on interbreeding
us." He shook his head as she started to speak. "Don't deny it. Let us pass
puberty still living in the same household and you in that household, and your
influence will be no more than a rag waved in the face of a sandworm."
"Do you believe us to be such utter fools?" Jessica asked.
"Indeed I do. Your Sisterhood is nothing but a bunch of damn fool old women
who haven't thought beyond their precious breeding program! Ghani and I know the
leverage they have. Do you think us fools?"
"Leverage?"
"They know you're a Harkonnen! It'll be in their breeding records: Jessica out of Tanidia Nerus by the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. That record accidentally made public would pull your teeth to --"
is Tanidia Nerus Jessica's mother?? has this already been discussed? Is this another nail in the coffin for the Mohiam argument?
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Jessica's mother

Post by SandChigger »

Yes.
Yes.
And ... yes. :)

At least until Leto the Tard of Dune retcons it. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SimonH wrote:Is this another nail in the coffin for the Mohiam argument?
It is _the_ nail, as far as I am concerned. Another interesting one is that the Dune Encyclopedia article is written with intentional errors, such as claiming that Leto II was immature, or did not have his full OM, or was trying to spare Jessica at the time (he is obviously rattling her).

Mohiam as the mother of Jessica is a cheap "wow"-gimmick. No wonder it appeals to a certain Dynamic Duo...
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

:shock: but....but..KJA and BH say that they pulled the plot about Mohiam out of Franks notes... if they say so it must be true, why would they lie?
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Because they are liars?

Because they have no discernment, and probably can't tell what FH would have eventually used or had already discarded in his mind?

Because the Bahr bela Ma is deep and wide?
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

I’m actually happy that I stopped reading KJA/BH 50 or so pages into Butlerian Jihad, and I’ve vowed never to read any of their books again.

KJA and BH should receive the same punishment as the historians Leto execute – only Kevin and Bwian shouldn’t be doped first…

Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Baraka fi s-Sani wa-mauh... ;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Because they have no discernment, and probably can't tell what FH would have eventually used or had already discarded in his mind?
I've always wondered about this aspect of the alleged "notes." Are all of the notes dated? My strong hunch would be "no, not even close."

So, in theory, Keith and Bobo are free to pillage wherever and whatever they like, not caring that they might be using old, outdated notes that FH clearly didn't intend to actually use (or else discarded completely when the story went in another direction). Then, following the inevitable criticism, the Idiots Squared can always smirk and say, "we got it from the notes."

What a farce.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What a shame if no attempt was made to organize or at least record what was where before they started pillaging.

I mean, I ask you, does BoBo impress you as a serious archivist? :roll:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

SandChigger wrote:I mean, I ask you, does BoBo impress you as a serious archivist? :roll:
A serious bullshiter maybe, and even at that he's not convincing.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote: I mean, I ask you, does BoBo impress you as a serious archivist? :roll:
Only in his wine cellar.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:I mean, I ask you, does BoBo impress you as a serious archivist?
I wouldn't give him a vote of confidence in being able to organize a sock drawer.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

TheDukester wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Because they have no discernment, and probably can't tell what FH would have eventually used or had already discarded in his mind?
I've always wondered about this aspect of the alleged "notes." Are all of the notes dated? My strong hunch would be "no, not even close."

So, in theory, Keith and Bobo are free to pillage wherever and whatever they like, not caring that they might be using old, outdated notes that FH clearly didn't intend to actually use (or else discarded completely when the story went in another direction). Then, following the inevitable criticism, the Idiots Squared can always smirk and say, "we got it from the notes."

What a farce.

They actaully did try to use the "notes" excuse for some scene in one of their House books that FH wrote and discarded - but he didn't even write and discard it for the book, he wrote and discarded it for the MOVIE.

They hve no shame at all.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
TheDukester wrote:

What a farce.

They actaully did try to use the "notes" excuse for some scene in one of their House books that FH wrote and discarded - but he didn't even write and discard it for the book, he wrote and discarded it for the MOVIE.

Wasn't that the Duke's buyers going to the BG school and picking Jessica out?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
TheDukester wrote:

What a farce.

Wasn't that the Duke's buyers going to the BG school and picking Jessica out?
I think that was it, yess.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

nampigai wrote::shock: but....but..KJA and BH say that they pulled the plot about Mohiam out of Franks notes... if they say so it must be true, why would they lie?
Don't they say that it's just a fake name for the breeding records?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Nekhrun wrote:
nampigai wrote::shock: but....but..KJA and BH say that they pulled the plot about Mohiam out of Franks notes... if they say so it must be true, why would they lie?
are they that stupid? wouldn't Ghanima know via OM? :P, sorry I'm trying to introduce too much logic into their arguments :P
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SimonH wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
are they that stupid? wouldn't Ghanima know via OM? :P, sorry I'm trying to introduce too much logic into their arguments :P
I'm not so sure. It seems like FH waffled between people just knowing, and needing to get the info from the memory ego of the person with the knowledge. Sometimes they "talk to these other persona's, and sometimes they seem to just "remember"

I am still struggling with what the answer really is.

Post by SimonH »

redbugpest wrote:
SimonH wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
I'm not so sure. It seems like FH waffled between people just knowing, and needing to get the info from the memory ego of the person with the knowledge. Sometimes they "talk to these other persona's, and sometimes they seem to just "remember"

sorry, but you are a clown. re-read the books. I'm up to my third time and I'm still picking up new stuff.

how do you think Ghanima knew that the Baron was her grandfather? Do you think she would really search out this information in her OM and not find out who her grandmother was - an equally interesting fact...
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Great-grand...
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Redstar wrote:Great-grand...
thank you :oops:
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SimonH wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
SimonH wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

sorry, but you are a clown. re-read the books. I'm up to my third time and I'm still picking up new stuff.

how do you think Ghanima knew that the Baron was her grandfather? Do you think she would really search out this information in her OM and not find out who her grandmother was - an equally interesting fact...
Like I said, there is no consistency as far as I can see. I am continuing to look into it, since OM interests me.

BTW, I have read the books more than three times and am still looking for answers to things I find in them, so I don't think you are an more and expert than I am..

Post by Idahopotato »

redbugpest wrote:
SimonH wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
SimonH wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

Like I said, there is no consistency as far as I can see. I am continuing to look into it, since OM interests me.

BTW, I have read the books more than three times and am still looking for answers to things I find in them, so I don't think you are an more and expert than I am..

Ok so now you are assuming that a reference about Ghanima's grand parents, that can't be misinterpreted by context since the names are used together in the exact same sentence, is somehow inconsistent? So Ghani would reach back for a memory of her grand dad, the Baron, and then forget how to do it for her grand mother, and instead have to refer to some fake name inserted for secrecy purposes? Wow! I think I would rather argue with a Christian fundamentalist than this clown.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Idahopotato wrote:
Ok so now you are assuming that a reference about Ghanima's grand parents, that can't be misinterpreted by context since the names are used together in the exact same sentence, is somehow inconsistent? So Ghani would reach back for a memory of her grand dad, the Baron, and then forget how to do it for her grand mother, and instead have to refer to some fake name inserted for secrecy purposes? Wow! I think I would rather argue with a Christian fundamentalist than this clown.
Funny, but I thought I said I was still looking into OM, and how this could or could not be the case. Where do you get the "forget how to" crap from what I said?

Never mind - I don't think I really want to see the logic train wreck you would have for it.

Post by Serkanner »

redbugpest wrote:
Idahopotato wrote:
Funny, but I thought I said I was still looking into OM, and how this could or could not be the case. Where do you get the "forget how to" crap from what I said?

Never mind - I don't think I really want to see the logic train wreck you would have for it.
You have been drinking to much from your "ignorance" bottle today haven't you. Or are you truly just THAT stupid?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."