KWISATZ HADERACH

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

merkin muffley

Re: KWISATZ HADERACH

Post by merkin muffley »

Sorry, I was distracted by this picture.
insidiom wrote:Image

3=====D

She also played the "D-Girl" in that Sopranos episode. It'd be pretty slick to cast her as Jessica, the secret Harkonnen, as she's a redhead. (EDIT: says Captain Obvious)
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

DragEgusku wrote:I do not understand a thing about the Kwisatz Haderach. If you could create a KH tleilaxu as Scytale said, would prevent nature to do the same?
Well, *theoretically* a KH could evolve naturally, but it would take much, much longer than a KH born from the BG breeding program.

Given that the BG breeding program took centuries (read: generations) of directed gene manipulation, a naturally-evolving KH would take orders of magnitude longer through random mutations. And only then if each successive mutation on the way to "KH-ness" yielded a survival advantage that outweighed the cost of the mutation.

So if a naturally-occuring KH were possible, I don't think it would emerge within the same timeframe as the BG were able to achieve with their breeding program.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

That could have been an interesting plot point in the real Dune 7, especially since the Golden Path was set up in part to counter another KH-like being. And it wouldn't necessarily be far fetched considering Scytale's talk of KHs to the fellow co-conspirators:
Frank Herbert, in Dune Messiah wrote:"We've dabbled in various pure essences," Scytale said. "Pure good and pure evil. A pure villain who delights only in creating pain and terror can be quite educational."

"The old Baron Harkonnen, our Emperor's grandfather, was he a Tleilaxu creation?" Irulan asked.

"Not one of ours. We merely produce them under conditions where we can study them."
Of course, what role such a KH would play I have no idea.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Tleszer wrote:That could have been an interesting plot point in the real Dune 7, especially since the Golden Path was set up in part to counter another KH-like being. And it wouldn't necessarily be far fetched considering Scytale's talk of KHs to the fellow co-conspirators:
Frank Herbert, in Dune Messiah wrote:"We've dabbled in various pure essences," Scytale said. "Pure good and pure evil. A pure villain who delights only in creating pain and terror can be quite educational."

"The old Baron Harkonnen, our Emperor's grandfather, was he a Tleilaxu creation?" Irulan asked.

"Not one of ours. We merely produce them under conditions where we can study them."
Of course, what role such a KH would play I have no idea.

That would be an interesting subject, I've always been intrigued by that part of Dune Messiah. The idea that Baron Harkonnen was somehow engineered bothers me, though. The more I think about the idea that the Baron was created by humans, but not even the Tleilaxu, the more I dislike the idea. :? I really like Dune Messiah, but there are some weird things in it.

A "naturally-occurring" KH could be really interesting in a story, but KJA and BH must never get their hands on it. I haven't read their version of Dune 7, but my understanding is that there are gholas of the original characters popping up all over the place. If KJA tried to write about Kwisatz Haderachs it would end up like a crap version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Maybe one day this Image will happen and they'll bring in a real writer to deal with that subject.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I don't think the Baron was ever implied to be a Tleilaxu creation, but in Dune he was if not the ultimate super being at least the epitome of evil.
So when someone mentions "pure evil" in conversation, it would only be natural his name would come up, especially from someone such as Irulan who would know more about the Baron's tastes than the average Duniverse punter.
mm wrote:The more I think about the idea that the Baron was created by humans, but not even the Tleilaxu
so at least from my pov you don't need to worry about that :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:I don't think the Baron was ever implied to be a Tleilaxu creation, but in Dune he was if not the ultimate super being at least the epitome of evil.
So when someone mentions "pure evil" in conversation, it would only be natural his name would come up, especially from someone such as Irulan who would know more about the Baron's tastes than the average Duniverse punter.
Frank Herbert, in Dune Messiah wrote wrote::
"We've dabbled in various pure essences," Scytale said. "Pure good and pure evil. A pure villain who delights only in creating pain and terror can be quite educational."

To me, they're talking about Tleilaxu creations. Scytale says that the Baron was "Not one of ours." Maybe I'm getting thrown off by that line, because to me it implies that the Baron was created by someone else.

I want to understand this if I've misread it:
Is Irulan being facetious when she asks that question?
If Scytale means that the Baron isn't a creation of the Tleilaxu, why does he say "Not one of ours." In that context, the line "Not one of ours" suggests that the Baron was the creation of someone else. He doesn't mean that the Baron is a product of the breeding program(?)
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

merkin muffley wrote:
lotek wrote:I don't think the Baron was ever implied to be a Tleilaxu creation, but in Dune he was if not the ultimate super being at least the epitome of evil.
Frank Herbert, in Dune Messiah wrote wrote::
"We've dabbled in various pure essences," Scytale said. "Pure good and pure evil. A pure villain who delights only in creating pain and terror can be quite educational."

To me, they're talking about Tleilaxu creations. Scytale says that the Baron was "Not one of ours." Maybe I'm getting thrown off by that line, because to me it implies that the Baron was created by someone else.

I want to understand this if I've misread it:
Is Irulan being facetious when she asks that question?
If Scytale means that the Baron isn't a creation of the Tleilaxu, why does he say "Not one of ours." In that context, the line "Not one of ours" suggests that the Baron was the creation of someone else. He doesn't mean that the Baron is a product of the breeding program(?)
The Baron IS a product of the breeding program as far as I see it. Only two ( three according to the BG ) generations away from the KH he is the result of 87(?) generations of planned breeding. I feel that Scytale is accusing the BG of "creating" the Baron; especially considering who he is talking to.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Serkanner wrote:I feel that Scytale is accusing the BG of "creating" the Baron; especially considering who he is talking to.
My thoughts, too, although it's been a while since I've read the passage carefully.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Serkanner wrote: The Baron IS a product of the breeding program as far as I see it. Only two ( three according to the BG ) generations away from the KH he is the result of 87(?) generations of planned breeding. I feel that Scytale is accusing the BG of "creating" the Baron; especially considering who he is talking to.
I definitely agree that the Baron is a product of the BG breeding program. I'm unclear about whether or not Scytale is referring to the breeding program in that conversation. It makes sense, if that's what Scytale means, but I would have expected FH to have Mohiam react, or to give us more to make it clear that Scytale is referring to the breeding program.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

merkin muffley wrote:
Serkanner wrote: The Baron IS a product of the breeding program as far as I see it. Only two ( three according to the BG ) generations away from the KH he is the result of 87(?) generations of planned breeding. I feel that Scytale is accusing the BG of "creating" the Baron; especially considering who he is talking to.
I definitely agree that the Baron is a product of the BG breeding program. I'm unclear about whether or not Scytale is referring to the breeding program in that conversation. It makes sense, if that's what Scytale means, but I would have expected FH to have Mohiam react, or to give us more to make it clear that Scytale is referring to the breeding program.
Homework for tomorrow: re-read the passage. It is way to long ago since I have read it. Interesting topic though.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

you know what i was so focused on the BT creating or not the Baron that I completely forgot that good old Vladimir is Paul's grandfather (at least until KJABH try to say otherwise).
Another reason to love Dune and discussing it with people who like it like I do!

It does shed a completely different light on that line from Scytale,
Not one of ours. We merely produce them under conditions where we can study them.
A direct jab to the BG chin and a good one!
Basically taking the mick out of the breeding plan and its failure, reminding them where the fault lies that they meet as conspirators.

But are we talking KHs here or just an experimentation with the human nature?
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Sorry everyone. In my haste to insert that quote I accidentally left out a line that Scytale says. I knew I should have used the PDFs rather than the novel for this. :doh:
"Not one of ours," Scytale said. "But then nature often produces creations as deadly as ours. We merely produce them under conditions where we can study them."
I've bolded the section I left out. And, of course, it's the bold section that I actually wanted to include since we were on the topic of a naturally-occurring KH.

Perhaps there's a jab at Mohiam and the BG, but I don't think that's necessarily what Scytale was implying, since there's no reaction from her.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
lotek

Post by lotek »

Tleszer wrote:Sorry everyone. In my haste to insert that quote I accidentally left out a line that Scytale says. I knew I should have used the PDFs rather than the novel for this. :doh:
"Not one of ours," Scytale said. "But then nature often produces creations as deadly as ours. We merely produce them under conditions where we can study them."
I've bolded the section I left out. And, of course, it's the bold section that I actually wanted to include since we were on the topic of a naturally-occurring KH.

Perhaps there's a jab at Mohiam and the BG, but I don't think that's necessarily what Scytale was implying, since there's no reaction from her.
yes definitely; got it all wrong didn't I? :lol:
well it was your fault mr blue and green(wouldn't that make it turquoise?), but even more mine for not doing proper checks before embarking on some crazy theory :)

So now I'll reread that chapter and try to make sense out of all this, since now I am confused as to what kind of "creations" Scytale is talking about; just extreme in good/evil or specifically a wild KH.

So for now good night or whatever passes for it in your timezone!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Serkanner wrote: Homework for tomorrow: re-read the passage. It is way to long ago since I have read it. Interesting topic though.
should have taken that sound advice :whistle:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Tleszer wrote:"Not one of ours," Scytale said. "But then nature often produces creations as deadly as ours. We merely produce them under conditions where we can study them."
Ahhhhhh...

So I guess when I said...
merkin muffley wrote:I've always been intrigued by that part of Dune Messiah.
...I was talking out of my buttocks a little bit. :doh:

I still can't find my copy of Dune Messiah, and at this point I'm about to just buy another one. :oops: I keep getting myself into trouble.

Still very interesting, though. Always been fascinated by the politics in that book.

EDIT: redundancy
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:I still can't find my copy of Dune Messiah, and at this point I'm about to just buy another one. :oops: I keep getting myself into trouble.
You know there are PDFs available, right? :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:I still can't find my copy of Dune Messiah, and at this point I'm about to just buy another one. :oops: I keep getting myself into trouble.
Internets? What is this internet you speak of?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(One point about Mohiam not responding, if the Scytale comment was a jibe at the BG, is that Edric breaks in whining immediately after Scytale says that. ;) )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Internets? What is this internet you speak of?
Hey, if you don't want them I won't push them on you.

Print is dead.
~Egon Spengler
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote: Hey, if you don't want them I won't push them on you.

Print is dead.
~Egon Spengler
Downloading it now.
DragEgusku

Post by DragEgusku »

So the nature may produce a Kwisatz Haderach, if a tleilaxu (who are experts in genetic manipulations) recognizes that nature can achieve the same results as tleilaxu. That was my idea.

It is interesting that the discussion, said Scytale tleilaxu managed to create a Kwisatz Haderach.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

DragEgusku wrote:So the nature may produce a Kwisatz Haderach
Hmm, this seems correct. That which the Bene Gesserit hoped to achieve by selective breeding could also occur by chance... but the probability of this happening would be close to zero I suppose.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

MrFlibble wrote:
DragEgusku wrote:So the nature may produce a Kwisatz Haderach
Hmm, this seems correct. That which the Bene Gesserit hoped to achieve by selective breeding could also occur by chance... but the probability of this happening would be close to zero I suppose.
Exactly, given the extremeness of the KH's abilities, I think it would be more likely to evolve laser shooting sharkheads for hands.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

:lol:

That would be awesome!

(Oh, shit ... one of TheJacket's spies is going to forward that idea to him ...)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A natural KH would be impotent without being born into a position of some power.
~Pink Snowman