election day (United States)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Serkanner
Administrator

Re: election day (United States)

Post by Serkanner »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:There's more I want to learn. How are the seceded states supposed to form their own military in time, especially when the only soldiers from their states are serving the government they seceded from? Are all the seceded states supposed to have their own private armies, or do they have to make a mutual army? How are they going to get their own currency in time to pay people when the can't use federal dollars? How will the ensure the value of their new currency?
Perhaps you should read some articles about the collapses of the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia ....
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Serkanner wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:There's more I want to learn. How are the seceded states supposed to form their own military in time, especially when the only soldiers from their states are serving the government they seceded from? Are all the seceded states supposed to have their own private armies, or do they have to make a mutual army? How are they going to get their own currency in time to pay people when the can't use federal dollars? How will the ensure the value of their new currency?
Perhaps you should read some articles about the collapses of the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia ....
Or on the breakup of the Federated States of Micronesia into island nations that were in compacts with the US. People in those island nations are mostly the same people, which would be closer to this idea.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

The history of the U.S. is not quite as miserable or anguished as that of the Balkans or the Soviet Union. The states wishing to secede out of fear of political persecution or a totalitarian dictorship have never endured the craziness of Eastern Europe throughout the 20th Century or before. My father had recently been telling me of the history of the Balkans from World War I to the Societ Union days (he likes to give historical lessons when the occasion requires it, because he's so well read and knowledgeable), and even talked about the breakup of Yugoslavia. Considering what they've went through, we Americans are predominantly ignorant as to what its like to experience their level of dispair. That's why the effort to split up the states is just so superficial.

Speaking of which, anyone here live in any of the states which is trying to secede? I don't live in anyone of the listed wannabe rebel states, so I'm not a part of the excitement.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:The history of the U.S. is not quite as miserable or anguished as that of the Balkans or the Soviet Union.
You do know what happened last time when US stated tried to secede? And I will not go into a number of other atrocities that happened since the Europeans came to North America in the 16th century.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Speaking of which, anyone here live in any of the states which is trying to secede? I don't live in anyone of the listed wannabe rebel states, so I'm not a part of the excitement.
Yes, I live in Georgia. (She's seceded before.)

These secession petitions are just bullship posturing. It happenes after every election, it seems.

I would like to see stronger state powers and a weaker federal government but I don't think it will ever come to that again.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Out here in CA we've decided to let the rest of the country benefit from our continued presence.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Out here in CA we've decided to let the rest of the country benefit from our continued presence.
LOL, if anywhere should be it's own country...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Serkanner wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:The history of the U.S. is not quite as miserable or anguished as that of the Balkans or the Soviet Union.
You do know what happened last time when US stated tried to secede? And I will not go into a number of other atrocities that happened since the Europeans came to North America in the 16th century.
I know. I know. I should have mentioned the Civil War. (It's another favorite topic of my Dad's, has all kinds of books on that war). Reconstruction was miserable and nasty as well. I was just trying to see we've forgotten all of that in the current century, and haven't had frequent events of instability like the CW or Reconstruction to help us understand the situation in the Balkans. Although, Reconstruction still had its lingering effects a good part of the 20th century (such as the Jim Crowe laws and public lynchings), and we had moments of near totalitarianism with the McCarthyist period and 70s shootings of flower wearing protesters. The social upheavals of the 60s, 70s, and 80s were impactive, but not everyone remembers how crazy those decades were. We Americans are usually too insulated to remember or understand actual instability. We're even insulated from the atrocities committed in 16th Century North America by our predecessors, and are even insulated to the lingering repercussions of the U.S.'s own colonial actions in the current state of the Native American reservations.

In any case, the secession petition is a bit of a joke.
I would like to see stronger state powers and a weaker federal government but I don't think it will ever come to that again.
But what if the state governments become too powerful, and the towns start petitioning the state governments to secede into tiny principalities? :?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Two full weeks after the election and we, my state, still don't know the outcome of one of our representative runs. :crazy:

The person who is losing by around 700 votes have until the 27th to either request,in writing, a re-count or to concede the election to his opponent.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Eyes High wrote:Two full weeks after the election and we, my state, still don't know the outcome of one of our representative runs. :crazy:

The person who is losing by around 700 votes have until the 27th to either request,in writing, a re-count or to concede the election to his opponent.
Would that be Mr. West by any chance?
ImageImageImage
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Visigoth wrote:
Eyes High wrote:Two full weeks after the election and we, my state, still don't know the outcome of one of our representative runs. :crazy:

Nope. McIntyre v. Rouizer. (Or was it Rouzier?)
McIntyre is in the lead the last I heard.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Eyes High wrote:
Visigoth wrote:

Nope. McIntyre v. Rouizer. (Or was it Rouzier?)
McIntyre is in the lead the last I heard.
OK.
ImageImageImage