Scottish Independence

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuneFishUK

Re: Scottish Independence

Post by DuneFishUK »

Thanks - Most informative :)

Another thing I didn't realise is that the Jocks are offering free University tuition (arguably with English taxes) to any student from anywhere in the EU... except anyone from England, Wales or NI, who they charge up to £9 grand.

:?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I knew very little of the content of that video, thanks Apjak.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Dang! Thery're bigger than I thought. :scared-whoa: I forgot about all those territories.

:flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada: :flags-australia:

(Hey Freak and Rag, we need more flags)

:flags-waveusa:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

... a black flag, no quarter.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Freakzilla wrote:... a black flag, no quarter.
...non given, non asked ... :P
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

2 very good videos.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:o
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:clap:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

Can't find it on youtube, but I just saw a LOTR documentary on Netflix that compared Aragorn at the Battle of Helm's Deep, to Braveheart at the Battle near Sterling Castle. Seems a bit far-fetched.
NotOnasander

Post by NotOnasander »

If you ring back the catholic dynasty.... all those oversea territories and shit go free.... cause they are not true lands of the legitimate English dynasty. We'll throw in Scotland amongst the refuge if you welcome the true lords back in under the crown and accept the Papacy as your bishopric. Be just like Black Adder.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Ian's blahg is back up ....

http://www.ianhamiltonqc.com/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Vislor Turlough

Post by Vislor Turlough »

OK, I’m English, so I’m not exactly impartial here – y’know, full of nostalgia for the lost glories of Empire – and I have no time for the sandal-wearing, tree-hugging, statist, tax-loving, Guardian-reading Left . . . in short, I am biased . . . but now that Alec Salmond has released the SNP’s White Paper for Scottish Independence, my low-level sense of disquiet at the prospect of a successful “Yes” vote has hardened into outright fear . . . because the flippin’ SNP wants to keep the £ . . . this would be a disaster for all concerned: Scottish, English, Welsh, Northern Irish – because the only example of a currency union we can refer to for a rough idea of how things might work out is the Euro. Yeah, that powerhouse of economic strength & stability, that towering examplar of fiscal rectitude, that paragon of coinage! All sorts of different sovereign polities sharing the same currency without sharing the same fiscal & monetary policies is a recipe for recession, mass unemployment & sharply reduced living standards. Fine, be independent, watch your fragile economy tank like a bitch without huge subsidies from Westminster, but if you think you can keep the £ so you can drag us down with you – think again, sunshine. It’d be worth letting them keep their share of the assets without taking their share of the debts just to avoid a shared currency.

To put my comments in context: if I were an American, I’d vote for Ron Paul.
Cynicism is an idealists' word for realism
lotek

Post by lotek »

I vote for Darth Vader with bagpipes on a unicyle.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Slow day at work...
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I find your lack of pants disturbing.
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

Mark my words, when alien scum attacks earth the only way to survive is unite and fight together or be destroyed alone.
Remember the alamo!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Vislor Turlough wrote:OK, I’m English, so I’m not exactly impartial here – y’know, full of nostalgia for the lost glories of Empire –
The English Empire back then may have seemed glorious, but in order to keep it, you had to take care of a whole countries of people who you don't know, and come up with more practical strategies to make sure they're happy so they won't find an excuse to kill more filthy English (Excuse the "filthy" part. My inner Highlander likes to come out now and again to sound like a Braveheart Scott on the matters of the English, though I love English culture). Of course, there's the argument that when the English was in control of India and others, the hatred for English distracted the colonial subjects from their religious and cultural feuds. Still, as Orwell pointed out in his essay "Shooting an Elephant," English colonialists, as well other European colonialists, were trapping themselves as colonial powers by constantly having to show their colonial subjects why they are supreme. I don't think I can handle kind of responsibility. Some nations still try to maintain control over others, and some still use brute force in order to maintain it.
and I have no time for the sandal-wearing, tree-hugging, statist, tax-loving, Guardian-reading Left
What kind of Left-wing people have you met? The "sandal-wearing" part sounds like something Mr. Burns' father used to say about the Japanese, or "Those sandal-wearing goldfish tenders."

I don't know about the "statist" part, either. Liberal progressives tend to be more anarchic and defiant of the state. Do you think they would defy the status quo if they were statist.

The "tax-loving" part even makes less sense. Left-wingers are more concerned with protecting the rights of individuals and the marginalized than with taxes. Raising of taxes is more a financial-economic thing than a Left-wing thing. No one loves taxes, but having a competent tax system is necessary for a nation's wellbeing. The tax system is so unbalanced in the U.S., that there's a lot of disparity between the heavy-duty wealthy and the rest. We don't have an infinite reserve, as some people like to think. I'm not suggesting that we go with the impractical tax system which the new French president has employed (which ended up scaring away a lot of wealthy French citizens, including Gerard Depardieu), but at least have it be 30% taxes on the super wealthy. That's only fair, and it won't scare them off.

I never read the Guardian either (me being a bloody Yank), but I'm sure it had good articles... I guess.
. . . in short, I am biased . . . but now that Alec Salmond has released the SNP’s White Paper for Scottish Independence, my low-level sense of disquiet at the prospect of a successful “Yes” vote has hardened into outright fear . . . because the flippin’ SNP wants to keep the £ . . . this would be a disaster for all concerned: Scottish, English, Welsh, Northern Irish – because the only example of a currency union we can refer to for a rough idea of how things might work out is the Euro. Yeah, that powerhouse of economic strength & stability, that towering examplar of fiscal rectitude, that paragon of coinage! All sorts of different sovereign polities sharing the same currency without sharing the same fiscal & monetary policies is a recipe for recession, mass unemployment & sharply reduced living standards. Fine, be independent, watch your fragile economy tank like a bitch without huge subsidies from Westminster, but if you think you can keep the £ so you can drag us down with you – think again, sunshine. It’d be worth letting them keep their share of the assets without taking their share of the debts just to avoid a shared currency.
Maybe haggis could be the new currency? Nah, I kidd. I'd have to look into this some more to understand the whole currency thing.
To put my comments in context: if I were an American, I’d vote for Ron Paul.
He seems mild in comparison to his colleagues, but he's not that much different. He's in favor of the gold standard, which would be catastrophic for the U.S. or any country to go on. There's not enough gold to back up all the currency we have. And even though some people debate this point, the gold standard helped bring about the Great Depression. Don't look to some of our U.S. politicians as examples of model leaders. They are often very ignorant about finance and history, and their ideas on what the country should be like are based on assumptions and idealizations. We're a little more Harkonnen than we are Atreides at varying intervals.
ErasOmnius wrote:Can't find it on youtube, but I just saw a LOTR documentary on Netflix that compared Aragorn at the Battle of Helm's Deep, to Braveheart at the Battle near Sterling Castle. Seems a bit far-fetched.
The Battle of Helm's Deep is more a what-if scenario if the early English, the Anglo-Saxons under King Harold II, were able to effectively fight back against the Normans during the Battle of Hastings. Tolkien believed if the Anglo-Saxons had horses like the Normans, they would have won. Granted, most of the Battle of Helm's Deep involves keeping the attackers at bay behind fortification without much horse use, but I recall Sarumaun's Orcs get flanked by Gandalf and the rest of the Rohirrim cavalry.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ok boys I got about another five minutes here
"The candidate will address the campaign at 9pmCST"
means what it says, & that's copypasta communication anyway
I knew it would End Ugly™, of course but I had hoped for Riots
at the Convention™ .....

years later they are going to say that Facebook was Her Box #13
but that's covering up the phonebanking but that's covering up the
pressure being put on the State Democratic Party County Chairmans
and precinct election committees. (all that is code for "ballot box stuffing")™
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008