Occupy Protests

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Occupy Protests

Post by Nekhrun »

I love that the piece of shit who did that will forever go down in history as an internet joke. Couldn't have happened to a nicer fascist.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I agree that most of the protesters probably don't have a clear idea what they're protesting about, or what they would want to change.

But I think that's beside the point. They still have a right to assemble peacefully, regardless of the reason, subject to the usual provisos of not inciting violence, etc.

The only cause I could see for police intervention is if a crime were being committed inside the camp. Even then, the police should should only address that issue, not disband the camp.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:The only cause I could see for police intervention is if a crime were being committed inside the camp. Even then, the police should should only address that issue, not disband the camp.

HBJ
True but they also have to consider their own safety and that of non-protesters. I've heard all kinds of stories about what's going on in these camps. Drugs, rape, filth, etc...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:I love that the piece of shit who did that will forever go down in history as an internet joke. Couldn't have happened to a nicer fascist.
Yep, he's famous now: http://peppersprayingcop.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's lots more...
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Occupy protester hands President Obama a note

By Holly Bailey | The Ticket – 1 hr 59 mins ago

The Occupy movement trailed President Obama to New Hampshire today, where protestors briefly interrupted his jobs speech at a Manchester high school.

Using the so-called "human microphone" method, protestors shouted Obama down just minutes into his speech, calling attention to the arrest of peaceful protestors at Occupy movements around the country.

They were quickly countered by students, who began chanting, "Obama! Obama!"

But after the speech, a member of the movement got close enough to Obama as the president was shaking hands with members of the audience pass him a note, which was photographed by the Associated Press' Charles Dharapak:

Mr. President: Over 4000 peaceful protesters have been arrested. While bankers continue to destroy the American economy. You must stop the assault on our 1st amendment rights. Your silence sends a message that police brutality is acceptable. Banks got bailed out. We got sold out.
President Obama isn't the first politician to be targeted by the Occupy movement. Two weeks ago, Michele Bachmann was briefly interrupted by Occupy Charleston protesters at speech in South Carolina.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

He'll speak out about police abuse in other countries when they assault peaceful demonstrators but not here.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Freakzilla wrote:Image
Does this mean that the people who camped outside of movie theaters in wait for the Star Wars prequels were breaking the law? Does this mean that countless other protests which involved camping were breaking the law? Anarchy, I say! Anarchy!
Freakzilla wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:The only cause I could see for police intervention is if a crime were being committed inside the camp. Even then, the police should should only address that issue, not disband the camp.

HBJ
True but they also have to consider their own safety and that of non-protesters. I've heard all kinds of stories about what's going on in these camps. Drugs, rape, filth, etc...
Show me the facts, Mentat Freakzilla! Show me the facts! Not your facts, or hearsay facts, but outside reliable facts! Or just links with solid and definite evidence, visual and text, which proves that one or some of the protestors committed rape in the camp.
SadisticCynic wrote:[/quote

Just like in the film RIDICULE, wit is the best offense and defense against those who think they are witty and intelligent!
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Well said, Adam. :clap:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

them tough-guys there will sing a different tune when they get home
and discover the fourteen ways they're going to get fucked out
recruiter-promised "benefits" and the only job they can get comes
with a paper hat ...

that is, if they make it home with all their arms & legs ... or at all ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandRider wrote:them tough-guys there will sing a different tune when they get home
and discover the fourteen ways they're going to get fucked out
recruiter-promised "benefits" and the only job they can get comes
with a paper hat ...

that is, if they make it home with all their arms & legs ... or at all ...
Or they will join the occupy protests and get shot and beaten while being accused of PTSD because they do not support the the power brokers.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ImageImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SandRider wrote:Image

The people's microphone wasn't even necessary.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Tough guys... shut the fuck up, please? Or not- it's all good, I guess.
I bring nothing to the table.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Tough guys... shut the fuck up, please? Or not- it's all good, I guess.
That's a sentiment I can get behind. Or not, I guess. Whatever.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Seriously though, those protestors are just a bunch of kids and old hippies marching around with drums!

Minus the bayonets, of course. Leave that kind of thing for the Tea Party...

Funny how law enforcement respects you when you're within your rights, so long as your movement suits the needs of the e$tablishment.

Not to say the Tea Party wasn't populated by real people with real concerns. I think they have a lot in common with "Occupy" in fact. Just seems to me they weren't quick enough to realize they had been hijacked. Besides, the left/right democrat/republican paradigm is pretty much useless at this point. Constituents on both sides end up jaded and betrayed by leaders they supported, be it the Deficit-Increasing Republicans like Bush or the Closet Patriot Act Lover Democrats like Obama. Most importantly though, both sides are easily bought. And that's something occupiers have been saying since day one.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

"There is no Honor in this shit."
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So six days ago... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Not to mention:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/garyshapiro ... inst-sopa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forbes wrote:Save the Internet: Take Action Against SOPA

It isn’t often that a single issue has the power to unite people from every shade of the political spectrum. In fact, as the head of an association representing more than 2,000 distinct companies, I’m regularly challenged to find consensus among all members.

Yet that’s exactly what we’re seeing with the fight against an effort in Congress to radically reform the Internet. The effort springs from the very real fear on behalf of the content creators in America – the television, movie and music industries – of the threat posed by online piracy. Every time someone illegally downloads a movie or a song, these industries lose money.

We all can agree that government has a role in limiting this practice by snuffing out the sites that engage in it. Where differences – vast differences, as it turns out – arise is in the means. The content creators, in collusion with their Washington allies, chose to forgo the democratic process in drafting a solution that all sides can agree on. Instead, they worked behind closed doors, horse traded, and produced a bill that certainly benefits them, but significantly harms everyone else.

It’s time to go back to the drawing board. With a markup scheduled one week from tomorrow (Dec. 15), it’s time to take action against the House’s sinister Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).

Under SOPA, a foreign or domestic Internet site that has broken no U.S. law can nevertheless have its economic lifeblood cut off upon a single notice from a copyright or trademark owner who alleges that a single page of the site “enables or facilitates” illegal activity by third parties.

Moreover, a court can second-guess whether an Internet advertising network is taking all technically feasible and reasonable measures to prevent the placement of ads on a site that has not been found to infringe an existing intellectual property right.

As currently drafted, SOPA is an alarming step backwards in Internet policy, creating a thicket of Internet regulations containing 16 new legal definitions for evolving Internet technology (including a definition for the word “including”). Further, the definition of “dedicated to theft of U.S. property” is so broad it would unduly ensnare legitimate companies’ websites, products and services.

In short, SOPA does not target “rogue foreign sites.” Rather, it allows movie studios, foreign luxury goods manufacturers, patent and copyright trolls, and any holder of any intellectual property right to target lawful U.S. websites and technology companies.

What this means for you, dear reader, is that, if allowed to pass, SOPA would fundamentally alter the way in which the Internet operates by killing the very innovations, wealth and jobs that have made it the indispensable tool of the our era.

As for the bipartisan effort to stop SOPA I mentioned earlier, it is opposed by individuals as diverse as Republican Representatives Michelle Bachmann, Darrell Issa and Ron Paul, as well as Democratic Representative Zoe Lofgren and Democratic Senators Ron Wyden and Maria Cantwell. Groups as diverse as the Business Software Alliance and MoveOn.org oppose it. Media outlets across the ideological spectrum oppose it as well.

It’s time to let your Members of Congress know that you don’t want a bunch of Hollywood and music industry lobbyists destroying the Internet. Please, call or write your Members of Congress and tell them to oppose the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Gary Shapiro is president and CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the U.S. trade association representing more than 2,000 consumer electronics companies, and author of the New York Times bestselling book, “The Comeback: How Innovation Will Restore the American Dream.”
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Wow... Just wow.
Family Guy writer describes his arrest at Occupy L.A.

http://myoccupylaarrest.blogspot.com/20 ... html?spref
Patrick Meighan wrote:TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2011

My Occupy LA Arrest, by Patrick Meighan

My name is Patrick Meighan, and I’m a husband, a father, a writer on the Fox animated sitcom “Family Guy”, and a member of the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica.

I was arrested at about 1 a.m. Wednesday morning with 291 other people at Occupy LA. I was sitting in City Hall Park with a pillow, a blanket, and a copy of Thich Nhat Hanh’s “Being Peace” when 1,400 heavily-armed LAPD officers in paramilitary SWAT gear streamed in. I was in a group of about 50 peaceful protestors who sat Indian-style, arms interlocked, around a tent (the symbolic image of the Occupy movement). The LAPD officers encircled us, weapons drawn, while we chanted “We Are Peaceful” and “We Are Nonviolent” and “Join Us.”

As we sat there, encircled, a separate team of LAPD officers used knives to slice open every personal tent in the park. They forcibly removed anyone sleeping inside, and then yanked out and destroyed any personal property inside those tents, scattering the contents across the park. They then did the same with the communal property of the Occupy LA movement. For example, I watched as the LAPD destroyed a pop-up canopy tent that, until that moment, had been serving as Occupy LA’s First Aid and Wellness tent, in which volunteer health professionals gave free medical care to absolutely anyone who requested it. As it happens, my family had personally contributed that exact canopy tent to Occupy LA, at a cost of several hundred of my family’s dollars. As I watched, the LAPD sliced that canopy tent to shreds, broke the telescoping poles into pieces and scattered the detritus across the park. Note that these were the objects described in subsequent mainstream press reports as “30 tons of garbage” that was “abandoned” by Occupy LA: personal property forcibly stolen from us, destroyed in front of our eyes and then left for maintenance workers to dispose of while we were sent to prison.

When the LAPD finally began arresting those of us interlocked around the symbolic tent, we were all ordered by the LAPD to unlink from each other (in order to facilitate the arrests). Each seated, nonviolent protester beside me who refused to cooperate by unlinking his arms had the following done to him: an LAPD officer would forcibly extend the protestor’s legs, grab his left foot, twist it all the way around and then stomp his boot on the insole, pinning the protestor’s left foot to the pavement, twisted backwards. Then the LAPD officer would grab the protestor’s right foot and twist it all the way the other direction until the non-violent protestor, in incredible agony, would shriek in pain and unlink from his neighbor.

It was horrible to watch, and apparently designed to terrorize the rest of us. At least I was sufficiently terrorized. I unlinked my arms voluntarily and informed the LAPD officers that I would go peacefully and cooperatively. I stood as instructed, and then I had my arms wrenched behind my back, and an officer hyperextended my wrists into my inner arms. It was super violent, it hurt really really bad, and he was doing it on purpose. When I involuntarily recoiled from the pain, the LAPD officer threw me face-first to the pavement. He had my hands behind my back, so I landed right on my face. The officer dropped with his knee on my back and ground my face into the pavement. It really, really hurt and my face started bleeding and I was very scared. I begged for mercy and I promised that I was honestly not resisting and would not resist.

My hands were then zipcuffed very tightly behind my back, where they turned blue. I am now suffering nerve damage in my right thumb and palm.

I was put on a paddywagon with other nonviolent protestors and taken to a parking garage in Parker Center. They forced us to kneel on the hard pavement of that parking garage for seven straight hours with our hands still tightly zipcuffed behind our backs. Some began to pass out. One man rolled to the ground and vomited for a long, long time before falling unconscious. The LAPD officers watched and did nothing.

At 9 a.m. we were finally taken from the pavement into the station to be processed. The charge was sitting in the park after the police said not to. It’s a misdemeanor. Almost always, for a misdemeanor, the police just give you a ticket and let you go. It costs you a couple hundred dollars. Apparently, that’s what happened with most every other misdemeanor arrest in LA that day.

With us Occupy LA protestors, however, they set bail at $5,000 and booked us into jail. Almost none of the protesters could afford to bail themselves out. I’m lucky and I could afford it, except the LAPD spent all day refusing to actually *accept* the bail they set. If you were an accused murderer or a rapist in LAPD custody that day, you could bail yourself right out and be back on the street, no problem. But if you were a nonviolent Occupy LA protestor with bail money in hand, you were held long into the following morning, with absolutely no access to a lawyer.

I spent most of my day and night crammed into an eight-man jail cell, along with sixteen other Occupy LA protesters. My sleeping spot was on the floor next to the toilet.

Finally, at 2:30 the next morning, after twenty-five hours in custody, I was released on bail. But there were at least 200 Occupy LA protestors who couldn’t afford the bail. The LAPD chose to keep those peaceful, non-violent protesters in prison for two full days… the absolute legal maximum that the LAPD is allowed to detain someone on misdemeanor charges.

As a reminder, Antonio Villaraigosa has referred to all of this as “the LAPD’s finest hour.”

So that’s what happened to the 292 women and men were arrested last Wednesday. Now let’s talk about a man who was not arrested last Wednesday. He is former Citigroup CEO Charles Prince. Under Charles Prince, Citigroup was guilty of massive, coordinated securities fraud.

Citigroup spent years intentionally buying up every bad mortgage loan it could find, creating bad securities out of those bad loans and then selling shares in those bad securities to duped investors. And then they sometimes secretly bet *against* their *own* bad securities to make even more money. For one such bad Citigroup security, Citigroup executives were internally calling it, quote, “a collection of dogshit”. To investors, however, they called it, quote, “an attractive investment rigorously selected by an independent investment adviser”.

This is fraud, and it’s a felony, and the Charles Princes of the world spent several years doing it again and again: knowingly writing bad mortgages, and then packaging them into fraudulent securities which they then sold to suckers and then repeating the process. This is a big part of why your property values went up so fast. But then the bubble burst, and that’s why our economy is now shattered for a generation, and it’s also why your home is now underwater. Or at least mine is.

Anyway, if your retirement fund lost a decade’s-worth of gains overnight, this is why.

If your son’s middle school has added furlough days because the school district can’t afford to keep its doors open for a full school year, this is why.

If your daughter has come out of college with a degree only to discover that there are no jobs for her, this is why.

But back to Charles Prince. For his four years of in charge of massive, repeated fraud at Citigroup, he received fifty-three million dollars in salary and also received another ninety-four million dollars in stock holdings. What Charles Prince has *not* received is a pair of zipcuffs. The nerves in his thumb are fine. No cop has thrown Charles Prince into the pavement, face-first. Each and every peaceful, nonviolent Occupy LA protester arrested last week has has spent more time sleeping on a jail floor than every single Charles Prince on Wall Street, combined.

The more I think about that, the madder I get. What does it say about our country that nonviolent protesters are given the bottom of a police boot while those who steal hundreds of billions, do trillions worth of damage to our economy and shatter our social fabric for a generation are not only spared the zipcuffs but showered with rewards?

In any event, believe it or not, I’m really not angry that I got arrested. I chose to get arrested. And I’m not even angry that the mayor and the LAPD decided to give non-violent protestors like me a little extra shiv in jail (although I’m not especially grateful for it either).

I’m just really angry that every single Charles Prince wasn’t in jail with me.

Thank you for letting me share that anger with you today.

Patrick Meighan