Occupy Protests

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Crysknife

Re: Occupy Protests

Post by Crysknife »

Freakzilla wrote:I think you're exaggerating a bit there. I'm not trying to say the system is perfect, I know it has problems. But protesting against rich people just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't protest rich people. I've always said I'd like to join their ranks. I work damn hard for everything I've got but sometimes that isn't enough. One of my biggest clients was the third largest printing company in the world named Banta. We made enough money to be very comftorable and grateful. Well, around 2008, the CEO decides she wants out and sellds the company to the largest printer in the world. A whole lot of people got laid off, people I know and like and care for, factories were shut down all across the nation, my shop lost all of that work.....the CEO got paid 65 million in the deal. They are not the only customer of mine that did stuff like that.

I don't hate the rich, but that bitch CEO can be taxed a bit more so my kids have a decent teacher without 55 kids in the class. Or so my country's deficit can be a little reduced. she won't be hurting.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I understand that, but how is hippies camping in the park going to change that?

It's Capitol Hill and the White House they need to occupy if they want to change the rules.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I understand that, but how is hippies camping in the park going to change that?
if you don't see that the "high hippies" (btw, look in Time magazine; I saw a bunch of unemployed regular folk) have actually got a LOT of people talking about exactly this issue, then you're not only missing the point, but being pretty obtuse.
Freakzilla wrote:It's Capitol Hill and the White House they need to occupy if they want to change the rules
:?: Occupy the White House but not parks? Da Hell?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What is it they want from the people on Wall Street, money?

Do they think that if they squat in park long enough that the Wall Street bankers are just going to give them money?

That is what I don't understand.
~Pink Snowman
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Freakzilla wrote:What is it they want from the people on Wall Street, money?

Do they think that if they squat in park long enough that the Wall Street bankers are just going to give them money?

That is what I don't understand.
I really do not think that is their hope, idea or goal.

It is a protest. They are sending a signal, they are threatening violence (all protests are about telling the system, that it's monopoly on violence is being reconsidered by its constituents). These people believe Wall Street, aka the underlying system, is the problem, and they are protesting that.

For a number of reasons that make more or less sense depending on how French your brand of political philosophy is, they have not stated any particular goals. They are not saying "do A to fix X", they are saying "X is not good enough, we want to be a part of coming up with an A, B or C". They are saying a system which allows the housing scandal to happen is not good enough. They are saying Wall Street holds too much power.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So they don't know what they want, just what they don't want.

I can understand that, sounds like my children.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Maybe I am being obtuse but I don't see this protest as being very effective. They seem unorganized and can't even clearly articulate what they're protesting. It's difficult for me to take them seriously, from the videos I've seen of them online and in the media.
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I guess it really doesn't matter if you think the protests are effective, it only matters if you agree that there is a problem. And if you agree, why would you ever vote Republican? Cain calls himself a leader not a reader.....you know, KJA can lead the HLP straight to hell, but we all know he can't read worth shit.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You think the Democrats are going to give people jobs?

Welfare is not a job.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The House of Representative is voting on a balanced budget amendment today... lets see how many Democrats vote for it...

http://news.yahoo.com/house-prepares-vo ... 11575.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Republican majority wants to enshrine in the Constitution a permanent hostage crisis for our economy," Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla., said.

:lol:
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

It's a stupid vote and a ploy. Republivans know it won't pass and they don't want it to pass. Let's not forget who started deficit spending. Republicans have never been about fiscal responsability. But now they can point to the American people and say see, look at those democrats. They are the bad ones! Why do you think cutting govt. In half will be good for the economy right now? There is plenty of money in this country. It's just being boarded and not getting to where it should. But that's trickle down economics for you.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So you think we should just point fingers and go on spending more than we make?

The brakes are out, no point in steering!
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

If I'm pointing fingers so be it. I just don't know why.anyone would listen to republicans when it comes to running a country. What track record are you looking at?
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Like I said, this country makes enough. It just goes to the top 2% and no where else.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Crysknife wrote:If I'm pointing fingers so be it. I just don't know why.anyone would listen to republicans when it comes to running a country. What track record are you looking at?
No one is innocent, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

The definition of insanity comes to mind.....
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Do you think the US government should spend within its means?

Whatever happened in the past is no reason not to put it to a vote.

I guess camping in the park is a better way. :?
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Crysknife wrote:It's a stupid vote and a ploy. Republivans know it won't pass and they don't want it to pass. Let's not forget who started deficit spending. Republicans have never been about fiscal responsability. But now they can point to the American people and say see, look at those democrats. They are the bad ones! Why do you think cutting govt. In half will be good for the economy right now? There is plenty of money in this country. It's just being boarded and not getting to where it should. But that's trickle down economics for you.
It all started with $75 million in loans made to the new United States of America during the Revolutionary War, and thus began the first American budget deficit. We managed to pay it back rather quickly and enjoyed several years of budget surpluses but the War of 1812 forced borrowing and once again we were back in debt—big wars tied to big deficits would be a recurring theme over the next 200 years. There’s a lot of blame thrown around these days, as Congressional leaders and President Obama struggle to reach a deal on raising the debt ceiling, to enable more borrowing, and chip away at a annual budget deficit that is over $14.5 trillion. But the tough truth is that deficits and debt are bipartisan phenomena to which almost every president, no matter their party or ideological affiliation, has contributed. The Civil War pushed the national debt into the unheard of $3 billion range; after World War I public debt was up to $25.5 billion; the New Deal and World War II resulted in one of the first sizable explosions in debt, up to $260 billion by 1950. Throw in LBJ’s Grand Society, the Vietnam War, the defense build up against the Soviet Union, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, sweeping tax cuts and a brutal recession, and we find ourselves mired in this current mess.

So break out the calculators and the history books as we trace the growth of American debt, which has its roots in the very birth of the country. As Obama and Boehner, Democrats and Republicans level blame at each other for getting us into deep deficits and not doing enough to get us out, the truth is there’s 235 years worth of blame to pass around to everyone.
and for the hoarding fallacy... First:

Second:
Where are they hoarding it, in mattresses? No, they keep it in in Banks and other investments, who are loaning it, to make money.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I got arrested last night for Public Intox at an Occupy a Willie Nelson concert ... :dance:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:I got arrested last night for Public Intox at an Occupy a Willie Nelson concert ... :dance:
:clap: :lol:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Apjak wrote:
Crysknife wrote:It's a stupid vote and a ploy. Republivans know it won't pass and they don't want it to pass. Let's not forget who started deficit spending. Republicans have never been about fiscal responsability. But now they can point to the American people and say see, look at those democrats. They are the bad ones! Why do you think cutting govt. In half will be good for the economy right now? There is plenty of money in this country. It's just being boarded and not getting to where it should. But that's trickle down economics for you.
It all started with $75 million in loans made to the new United States of America during the Revolutionary War, and thus began the first American budget deficit. We managed to pay it back rather quickly and enjoyed several years of budget surpluses but the War of 1812 forced borrowing and once again we were back in debt—big wars tied to big deficits would be a recurring theme over the next 200 years. There’s a lot of blame thrown around these days, as Congressional leaders and President Obama struggle to reach a deal on raising the debt ceiling, to enable more borrowing, and chip away at a annual budget deficit that is over $14.5 trillion. But the tough truth is that deficits and debt are bipartisan phenomena to which almost every president, no matter their party or ideological affiliation, has contributed. The Civil War pushed the national debt into the unheard of $3 billion range; after World War I public debt was up to $25.5 billion; the New Deal and World War II resulted in one of the first sizable explosions in debt, up to $260 billion by 1950. Throw in LBJ’s Grand Society, the Vietnam War, the defense build up against the Soviet Union, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, sweeping tax cuts and a brutal recession, and we find ourselves mired in this current mess.

So break out the calculators and the history books as we trace the growth of American debt, which has its roots in the very birth of the country. As Obama and Boehner, Democrats and Republicans level blame at each other for getting us into deep deficits and not doing enough to get us out, the truth is there’s 235 years worth of blame to pass around to everyone.
and for the hoarding fallacy... First:

Second:
Where are they hoarding it, in mattresses? No, they keep it in in Banks and other investments, who are loaning it, to make money.
I read an article the other day about how most corporations actually owe more than they are holding onto so I don't hold that against them.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Occupy Wall Street finally gets a face–and it’s bloody

By Dylan Stableford | The Cutline – 3 hrs ago

Since the Occupy Wall Street movement began, protesters, armed with their intentionally vague demands, have lacked a defining moment or iconic image to help propel media coverage. This week, they got both.

First, police clashed with protesters during Tuesday's early morning raid on Zuccotti Park, and arrested several journalists. Then on Thursday, the Occupy movement got its face--albeit a bloody one.

During a demonstration in Lower Manhattan, 20-year-old Brandon Watts of Philadelphia grabbed a police officer's hat and was subsequently tackled and arrested, sustaining a gash to his forehead. Watts' bloody face appeared on the cover of the Daily News and Metro newspapers on Friday. (Interestingly, the New York Post went with the Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore for its Friday front page; the New York Times featured an A1 photo of the protests above the fold, but no blood.)

Before grabbing the hat, Watts allegedly threw an AAA battery at officers who had set up a barricade. According to the Daily News, he was charged with assault and grand larceny after receiving medical treatment at Bellevue Hospital.

According to the paper, it was Watts' fourth arrest since the protests began in September.

Thursday also saw more police clashes with journalists. Michelle Fields and Direna Cousins, a pair reporters from the Daily Caller claim they were attacked by the NYPD.

The conservative publication has been critical of Occupy Wall Street, but protesters reportedly came the aid of Fields and Cousins.

After Fields was knocked to the ground, several Occupy Wall Streeters "came up to me right away and asked if I needed any medical assistance," she wrote. "They were actually very kind and helpful. It was the police officers who were very aggressive."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/occ ... 43148.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Democrats vote overwhelmingly against balancing the budget because of fears that they would have to cut social programs.

:snooty:
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:Democrats vote overwhelmingly against balancing the budget because of fears that they would have to cut social programs.

:snooty:
Actually we are against a balanced budget because we are smart enough to know that a balanced federal budget is a stupid idea.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!