Occupy Protests

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Occupy Protests

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

See this is why I should avoid events like this - I'd react violently, very violently. Behavior like that deserves violent retribution.

As always I reserve judgement for more evidence as it wouldn't be fair for me to just go by one person's account as truth. But I have a hunch it's not a lie.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Not to mention:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/garyshapiro ... inst-sopa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Might be worth starting another thread for that kettle of fish - you guys in Canada have got your own battles in that little war: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Yup, douchebags know no borders.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

I see the occupy movement as a kind of metaphor for the scattering following the Tyranny of the God Emperor. SInce the dawn of known history, humanity has been dominated largely by both the leader and the cult of personality, centralized power, dogmatic religion(and sometimes science)and a dominant cultural vision one has felt compelled to confrom to in order the fit in, succeed, and have a high, self affirming sense of self. People often seek out, pursue and become, not what their true inner self desires, but what popular "wisdom", popular culture, and group conformity pressures have dictated. I think it's safe to say homophobia and closeted gay or bisexual desires are intimately related to the aforementioned dominate paradigm. WIth the events of post 9/11, the patriot act and the concentration of power in the corporate world, media and politics, these pressures to conform finally reached a destructive and intolerable peak, which sparked an inner and then outer rebellion(largely starting in nonconformist media such as blogs and alternative media, as a kind of reaction and rebellion against the monolithic norm)which has expanded from its rather far left origins, and has begun to ecompass many and even divergant points of view, all united in rebellion against what has become a destructive, even malignant and stifiling Empire of Conformity and pretenders. This will hopefully lead to an age of diversity and multipolarity, where no one cultural, religious or political point of view dominates the world and leads it to a destructive end by virtue of its monolithic entrapment of the worlds consciousness.
The play of words can lead to certain expectations which life is unable to match. This is a source of much insanity and other forms of unhappiness...-Wreave Saying: Whipping Star
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

No, not at all well said Adam, actually your an ignorant hairy ape...but that explains your popularity, appearence and smell.
The play of words can lead to certain expectations which life is unable to match. This is a source of much insanity and other forms of unhappiness...-Wreave Saying: Whipping Star
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9qZZVqS ... ideo_title[/youtube] Here's some words from a person who doesn't appeal to the lowest of the low and has both decency and an education that doesn't involve beer, back hair and making woman puke in their minds while they smile weakly.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

And here's the people that pathetic rat loser is supporting Fascism for. I'm sure they pay him well in government kickback cheese.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Adam Corrolla's good pals and tough guys.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Language is a kind of code dependant upon the life rythms of the species which originated the language. Unless you learn those rythms, the code remains unintelligible. Whipping Star
Last edited by MetaCugel8262 on 09 Dec 2011 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qn5nDv9 ... ideo_title[/youtube] Is this what tough guy Adam Corrolla wants for us all while he collects his cheese?
Last edited by MetaCugel8262 on 09 Dec 2011 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Come on Adam and "tough" guys, get to it!!!
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

A Bureau is a life form and the Bureaucrat one of its cells. This anaolgy teaches us which are the more important cells, which in greatest peril, which most easily replaced, and how easy it is to be mediocre. Later Writings of Bildoon IV, Whipping Star
Last edited by MetaCugel8262 on 09 Dec 2011 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Body jargon and hormone squirts, these begin to get at communication. Whipping Star
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Please don't just post quotes without comment.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Yeah, and please don't spam the thread. Give people time to discuss & time to breathe.

But, if people are going to watch just one of MetaCugel's 1000 vids, PLEASE watch this one:
MetaCugel8262 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9qZZVqS ... ideo_title[/youtube]
You can even just let it play in the background if you're at work or something.

Bernie Sanders is a hero. Longest-serving Independent in the senate and he's often brilliantly right, as he is in this video ^

Campaign finance reform is so fucking important. Basically, the whole world is screwed if the US doesn't correct the way campaigns are funded. Sanders nails it when he says that with every decision, senators & congressmen are going to think twice because if they go against something like the financial sector, big oil, big pharma, military-industrial complex, they could see themselves defeated by their opponents who suddenly receive more money from those interests. The result is increased dependencies on this cashflow, which is unlimited and undisclosed to the public.

And again, I emphasize that Occupy has been about this since day one. If people would turn off CNN for a moment, and spend 15 minutes on the internet learning the many important reasons protestors are on the streets, then there would be a LOT less "What do they even want? No one knows!" Sanders knows. Ron Paul knows. I imagine Obama knows because his entire '08 campaign was based on many of those same ideas. Well guess what, Barack. The majority who got you elected are here for their Change, with you or without you.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

...Oh look! Here's an article about it by Sanders himself:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-berni ... o&ir=Yahoo
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) wrote:The Constitution of this country has served us well, but when the Supreme Court says that attempts by the federal government and states to impose reasonable restrictions on campaign ads are unconstitutional, our democracy is in grave danger. That is why I have introduced a resolution in the Senate calling for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

I did not do this lightly. In fact, I had never done it before. The U.S. constitution is an extraordinary document. In my view, it should not be amended often. In light of the Supreme Court's infamous 5-to-4 decision in the Citizens United case, however, I saw no alternative.

I strongly disagree with the ruling. In my view, a corporation is not a person. A corporation does not have First Amendment rights to spend as much money as it wants, without disclosure, on a political campaign.
Corporations should not be able to go into their treasuries and spend millions and millions of dollars on a campaign in order to buy elections.

The ruling has radically changed the nature of our democracy. It has further tilted the balance of the power toward the rich and the powerful at a time when the wealthiest people in this country already never had it so good. History will record that the Citizens United decision is one of the worst in the history of our country.

At a time when corporations have more than $2 trillion in cash in their bank accounts and are making record-breaking profits, the American people should be concerned when the Supreme Court says that these corporations have a constitutionally-protected right to spend shareholders' money to dominate an election as if they were real, live persons. If we do not reverse this decision, there will be no end to the impact that corporate interests can have on our campaigns and our democracy.

According to an Oct. 10, 2011, article in Politico, "the billionaire industrialist brothers David and Charles Koch plan to steer more than $200 million -- potentially much more -- to conservative groups ahead of Election Day 2012." Others are doing the same thing.

Does anybody really believe that that is what American democracy is supposed to be about?

Think about the consequences in Congress. When an issue comes up that impacts Wall Street, like breaking up huge banks, what will senators be thinking about when they decide how to vote? Every member of the Senate, every member of the House, in the back of their minds will be asking this: If I cast a vote this way, if I take on some big-money interest, am I going to be punished? Will a huge amount of money be unleashed in my state?

It's not just taking on Wall Street. Maybe it's taking on the drug companies. Maybe it's taking on the private insurance companies. Maybe it's taking on the military-industrial complex. Whatever powerful and wealthy special interests members of Congress are prepared to take on -- on behalf of the interest of the middle class and working families of this country -- they will know in the back of their mind that there may be a flood of money coming in to their state. They're going to think twice about how to cast that vote.

When the Supreme Court says that for purposes of the First Amendment, corporations are people, that writing checks from the company's bank account is constitutionally-protected speech and that attempts by the federal government and states to impose reasonable restrictions on campaign ads are unconstitutional, when that occurs, our democracy is in grave danger.

I am a proud sponsor of a number of bills that would respond to Citizens United and begin to get a handle on the problem. But more needs to be done, something more fundamental and indisputable, something that cannot be turned on its head by a Supreme Court decision. That is why I proposed the constitutional amendment in the Senate as a companion measure to an amendment proposed in the House of Representatives by Congressman Ted Deutch.

We have got to send a constitutional amendment to the states that says simply and straightforwardly what everyone - except five members of the United States Supreme Court - understands: Corporations are not people with equal constitutional rights. Corporations are subject to regulation by the people. Corporations may not make campaign contributions -- the law of the land for the last century. And Congress and states have the power to regulate campaign finances.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Spam definiton:Unsolicited Email is normal email
(examples: first contact enquiries, job enquiries, sales enquiries) All my videos were totally relevant to the topic at hand.

It seems to me words like spam and "troll" are used in much the same way heretic, pagan, heathen or non believer was in the past. It's a way for people to attack others whose ideas or mere presence they don't like, and to encourage like minded people to mindlessly attack them.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Spam in this case refers to post flooding. No one was attacking you.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

Yeah, whatever. Deny the obvious and purposefully ignore the inherent meaning and in no way spam like nature of the videos. They are all intimately related to the topic at hand, Dune, politics and Occupy Wallstreet. Oh, so now your complaining about too much information? Ok, should I come back with some chalk and a blackboard? Or how about a stick and rock?
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

You seem angry.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
A Thing of Eternity

You could mellow out a bit - are you always this angry? Seriously, nobody here was attacking you.