Extreme/Fundamentalist Religion

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Extreme/Fundamentalist Religion

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Like I said earlier, if actually following the religion's instructions (have fun picking which direction to go when it forks...) is what's required to be a Christian, then there is no such thing as a Christian, none have ever lived (maybe a few have gotten close over the centuries).
Hey, I was a pretty damn good one. I've got about a hundred pretty solid regrets that I won't get into now of things I didn't do and could've. :violin:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Folks, I didn't expect things to blow up like this. My bad.
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just because someone has gotten something wrong in their interpretation of a religion does not disqualify them from being members of said religion if they really believe they are right and are attempting to do the right thing as per their god's instructions.
I've gone over this twice already, and since you weren't paying attention, I'll do it again. I was wrong to say “Those people aren't Christians”. That was just my opinion and I should not have stated it as a fact. Again, in the future I'll be more careful. Maybe you'll see this the third time around. I was wrong, I was wrong, I was wrong! Are you reading this? As to your other two statements, well... I proved you wrong and that's that. I hope you can move past this... I really do. I was wrong. I was wrong, and I really hope that makes you feel well enough to let go of this, but really, I don't think you will. :roll:
Nekhrun wrote:More like your non-statement statements tell us more about you then an actual opinion might have.

Also, I'm quite certain I've read the bible (including multiple translations) many more times than you have. And you should realize that to Christians, the words of Jesus trump what Paul wrote. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the texts. Especially since, as you say, you're not a Christian. Unless you've lived in that world it would be hard to understand how they live with the cognitive dissonance of their contradictory beliefs.

Belief in Jesus as God's son=Christian. Hypocritical behavior and a screw-up here and there don't get your membership revoked.
Non-statements? You're the one blowing hot air. You say you know so much, but your writing doesn't show it. Next you'll tell me that you studied at the University of the Pacific.

Nekhrun wrote:Hey, I was a pretty damn good one.

If you say so, I'll just have to take your word for it. :roll: The balls on this guy...

Again folks, I was wrong to say those people aren't Christians- around people like you (not all of you, many of you were smart enough to stay out of this. I should have kept my mouth shut. Do you see where stating your opinions will get you?). I was wrong, and I'm sorry that I offended you (some of you). I mean, I am really sorry. I didn't mean to get on your shit list, but such is life. I hope I can move past this. It's going to be awkward in the other threads...
I bring nothing to the table.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Non-statements? You're the one blowing hot air.
Let's see...
JustSomeGuy wrote:I could reply...but I'm not sure where it would lead...
JustSomeGuy wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Oh yes they are, they're just crazy ones. Being Christian doesn't require that you be GOOD at it, just that you believe in it...
Wrong.
A Thing of Eternity wrote:IF SOMEONE BELIEVES IN JESUS CHRIST (AS SAVIOUR) THEN THEY ARE CHRISTIAN, END OF STORY.
Wrong.
JustSomeGuy wrote:I'll be lurking, and I'm sure you will respond. I just don't want to get into a huge argument about this, but we'll see what happens.
I'm sorry, it looks like you actually had a lot of substance there.
JustSomeGuy wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:Hey, I was a pretty damn good one.
If you say so, I'll just have to take your word for it. :roll: The balls on this guy...
You want my mom to write you a fucking letter :roll: You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish when you leave all that shit behind.
JustSomeGuy wrote:I should have kept my mouth shut.
What do you know? We agree!
JustSomeGuy wrote:I didn't mean to get on your shit list, but such is life. I hope I can move past this. It's going to be awkward in the other threads...
You really give a shit what we think? Awkward in other threads is you posting shit over and over for no fucking reason. Dune asreal? ring a bell?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Folks, I didn't expect things to blow up like this. My bad.
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just because someone has gotten something wrong in their interpretation of a religion does not disqualify them from being members of said religion if they really believe they are right and are attempting to do the right thing as per their god's instructions.
I've gone over this twice already, and since you weren't paying attention, I'll do it again. I was wrong to say “Those people aren't Christians”. That was just my opinion and I should not have stated it as a fact. Again, in the future I'll be more careful. Maybe you'll see this the third time around. I was wrong, I was wrong, I was wrong! Are you reading this? As to your other two statements, well... I proved you wrong and that's that. I hope you can move past this... I really do. I was wrong. I was wrong, and I really hope that makes you feel well enough to let go of this, but really, I don't think you will. :roll:
No, I got that :roll: , but then you kept arguing so I was pretty perplexed and felt the urge to argue back! I don't think you offended anyone, I just have to argue with statements I think are incorrect, what else am I going to do with my time?
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:No, I got that :roll: , but then you kept arguing so I was pretty perplexed and felt the urge to argue back! I don't think you offended anyone, I just have to argue with statements I think are incorrect, what else am I going to do with my time?
Well, I can respect that. I just hope this never,ever, happens again. Like I said, I'll have to be more careful about writing my well-informed opinions as if they were facts. (I just had to throw the well-informed part in, it's the troll in me.) See ya.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Nekhrun! Not one to take the high road, are you? You're childish mind continues to lash out, and there is nothing I can do for you. You are a slave to your emotions, and your writing is filled with potty-mouth language. You don't even pay attention to what you're reading.
Nekhrun wrote:
That wasn't me! A cheap shot, I know. I could go on, but I see no point. Good luck to you, as you sit there making faces, unable to control your building anger. :lol:
Anyway, I'm through with this thread.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Nekhrun! Not one to take the high road, are you? You're childish mind continues to lash out, and there is nothing I can do for you. You are a slave to your emotions, and your writing is filled with potty-mouth language. You don't even pay attention to what you're reading.
Nekhrun wrote:
That wasn't me! A cheap shot, I know. I could go on, but I see no point. Good luck to you, as you sit there making faces, unable to control your building anger. :lol:
Anyway, I'm through with this thread.
It is "your childish mind," not you're. Don't you hate it when a non-native speaker has to correct such blatent stupidity? It shows how "thorough" your mind works. I am not as elaborate as Nekhrun and AtoE when 'discussing' your 'well-formed' opnions ... mine: you're a just loudmouth ass hole.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Nekhrun! Not one to take the high road, are you?
Guess not. You are so "well-informed" that my emotions just get so out of control when I see a post from you. Here they go again, fuck you.

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:snooty:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Luke 23:44, Matthew 27:52-53
It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died rose up. Having come out of their tombs after Jesus’ resurrection, they went into the Holy City and appeared to many people.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Anyway, I'm through with this thread.

others have uttered the same words, and even came back from the dead to do just what they said they wouldn't.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Zombie preeks are the worst.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Definitely would be good to get some good moderate practicers (hey, I think we know one or two of those ) opinions on this.
I am tempted, but since I gave up on all that in March, I don't think I have the willpower. :wink:

I also don't know if I counted as a moderate practicer. :?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Me and my parents were born-again on a Oujia board back in the '70s.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Image

Luke 23:44, Matthew 27:52-53
It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died rose up. Having come out of their tombs after Jesus’ resurrection, they went into the Holy City and appeared to many people.
ZOMBIE JEWS IN DOWNTOWN JERUSALEM!!! Yessssss!!!

This is one they don't dwell on a lot. :lol:

(I liked the bit about the gospels trumping Paul. Considering that Paul wrote his letters before the gospels were written. :P )
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

In God We Trust - a documentary on Youtube. It's pretty long, but definitely interesting enough to recommend :)

It's based around a war memorial is a small American town where one of the locals has the audacity to point out that they shouldn't really by flying a Christian flag... The documentary itself is actually feels incredibly fair and even handed - there's a lot of just giving these people space to speak, you get the sense the maker is trying to understand, rather than prove. There are a fair portion of nutjobs, well meaning people who come to some mental conclusions in places... but then you have that Rev. Barry Lynn chap and the old Baptist guy just being totally reasonable and fair and intelligent - makes you wonder where all the crazy dumb so-called-christians come from..?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

watching it now.
I'm curious as to what a Christian flag is ^^
JustSomeGuy wrote:I would tell you both to suck on that (and I guess I just did) but I want us all to get along. If we can't be friends, then my hope is that we can be cordial.
sucking on it is a good way to break the ice.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:watching it now.
I'm curious as to what a Christian flag is ^^
JustSomeGuy wrote:I would tell you both to suck on that (and I guess I just did) but I want us all to get along. If we can't be friends, then my hope is that we can be cordial.
sucking on it is a good way to break the ice.

Works for me.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

We could call that an ice-melter even.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I remember the first time we met. You were a simple Broadway actor afraid to get in my limo because you thought I wanted you to perform oral sex on me. Do you remember that?

Yeah

And now the tables are turned, and I don't know if I can trust you. All right, I'll trust you. But only if you...will perform oral sex on me.

- What? You can't be serious.

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

- What will that prove?

It will prove that you are truly ready to lay everything on the line. To throw away all your inhibitions
and give 100 percent. We must go back to that first night we met, that first issue of trust. Don't you see?

- No. I thought you weren't gay.

This isn't about sex, Gary, it's about trust, It's the eye of the needle, Gary, and we must both pass through it.
Last edited by D Pope on 31 Jan 2012 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Let me explain to you the kind of man Gary is. He's a man who knows that when you put another man's cock in your mouth, you make a pact. A bond that cannot be broken. He's a man so dedicated that he will get down on his knees and put that cock right in his mouth.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Um... right.

There's even a Pledge of Allegiance to the Christian flag.

I know this because we used to say it at vacation Bible school.

:doh:

(Fond memories of the cookies & Kool-Aid, though. :dance: )
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I'll pledge allegiance to this towel.

It's got the same cotton content.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

(Btw, loved the moon squid reference in the other thread. :lol: )
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

How did this thread first begin anyway? From what I understand from the first post, it started with Nekhrun getting angry with something JustSomeGuy thread. So, was this entire topic a reply to something Guy said on another topic?

Based on the title, I expected originally that this topic would discuss extreme religious fundamentalism in all forms, like Cthulu fundamentalism or Bene Gesserit fundamentalism. However, I liked what I saw in that documentary video about American Christian fundamentalism. I do find it unnerving to hear Christian Fundamentalists cry "religious persecution" and argue for religious freedom (for their own sect of Christianity, or for Christianity soley, anyway), when they have no qualms about restricting the religious practices of on non-Christians, or the persecution of them. Christians have been the majority in government for over 200 years now, and even if the government was under the command of someone who disliked fundamentalism, it would be unconstitutional to persecute them anyway.

It seems like ever since 2001 and Middle-Eastern/South Asian wars, the word "Muslim" has become a killing word to American fundamentalists (not in all cases, just those I've been exposed to in the media), like "Mua'dib" has become a killing word. Even though the Middle-Eastern terrorists our culture has been politically exposed to are self-proclaimed "holy warriors", they're more like cast-out water stealers than crusaders: petty radicals who are manipulative hypocrites in the manner of Elmer Gantry and Tartuffe (except they're more violent than either of those literary bigots). We know that they've corrputed their religion for personal benefits, but the our fundamentalists are convinced that they are literal representations of that faith. The anti-Muslim hysteria on the Right is likened to the Elizabethan fear that the Catholics taking over the country and forcing us to Popery and Papism (bloody Inquisitors). It's like a repeat of the Popish Plots during the English Restoration. Islam is the religious offspring of Judaism and Christianity, and misguided villification of this faith is like a parent persecuting its child. If it wasn't for the scholarly Muslims, we wouldn't have rediscovered the Greek and Roman classics, or used numbers instead of Roman numerals! Why are proclaimers of religious freedom desire no freedom for them at all?

I'm sorry for ranting. I think I overdid it. I know that others here can write better than I can, with more information to back them up. I just worry that something akin to a Herbertarian Jihad might brew up in the minds among the nutzos in this country. It's dumb, but boy do people get riled up. :crazy:
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky