Saggy pants ban is paying off for Georgia town

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Saggy pants ban is paying off for Georgia town

Post by Freakzilla »

Saggy pants ban has been profitable for Albany, Georgia. Over one hundred citations have been written to people in violation of the saggy pants ban.

By Associated Press / September 29, 2011

Officials in Albany, Ga., say the city's ban on saggy pants has generated nearly $4,000 in fines in less than a year.

City Attorney Nathan Davis says 187 citations have been issued and $3,916 in fines collected since the ordinance went into effect Nov. 23, according to the Albany Herald.

Officials say the ordinance bans anyone from wearing pants or skirts more than three inches below the top of the hips, exposing the skin or undergarments. First-time offenders face a $25 fine. On further offenses, the fine can rise to $200.

The ordinance also allows 40 hours of community service to be completed in lieu of fines.

Albany is about 170 miles south of Atlanta.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Saggy pants ban is paying off for Georgia town

Post by Freakzilla »

How can you run from the police in pants like that?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Freakzilla wrote:How can you run from the police in pants like that?
I think they probably pull their pants up and hold on to them while they're running. I've always wondered what a fight between two of them would look like.
I bring nothing to the table.
trang

Post by trang »

Funny how municipalities will make money:). I have always thought the style was ignorant. What a women see's with a man dressed like that, I have no clue.

as for a fight, it makes it easier to snuggie them, and if ya punch them in the throat and hands automatically come up, there pants fall down, one kick and they fall backwards.....ummm I think that's how it goes.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I think the style is silly/ugly, not sure what it would be ignorant of exactly. :wink:
trang

Post by trang »

ignorant of any style or class (I'm conservative, and is my opinion, people do what the do).

A Thing of Eternity

trang wrote:ignorant of any style or class (I'm conservative, and is my opinion, people do what the do).
:lol: Fair enough! Thought I had you for a second there!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I think the style is silly/ugly, not sure what it would be ignorant of exactly. :wink:
I can't argue with that but thought that anyones appearance was a protected right of expression. Wasn't there a recent court decision that says it's ok for girls to go topless because boys can? Anyway, if you'd like an example of fashion taking a left turn then I submit the following;
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that - the fact that they put a ban on a style of clothing is pathetic and definitely a violation of those peoples' rights - there are people out there I'm sure that would like to see my tattoos covered in public, or don't want me having a beard, you name it and I'm sure they're out there.

Whoever put the ban into effect is obviously some kind of complete wingnut.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think, that if the officials think it's indecent or improper, why do they need ANOTHER law?

Just arrest them for that.

:?
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

probably because it's not indecent, and I've never heard of this "improper" thing, must not be something we have up here. Up here you can look however the hell you want as long as it's not nudity and in some places even that is fine to some extent). Land of the Free!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That's the only real objection I can think of, that their underwear shows.

It's just the Man trying to hold the brothers down, that's all.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

we have a new entertainment district here (I think five or six years now forget) called the Power and Light district. They instituted a dress code down there and I think the baggie pants was part of it.
I know it upset a lot of people, and a lot of folks got turned away from the bars, restaurants and so forth. (its also no smoking too)

In the court of "we should and can be able to do and look the way we want" I understand. I have already given you my personal opinion, I dont think it shows any style at all, infact a lack of it, but thats my tastes.

In the court of "public saftey and common law" well , you can stuff weapons in your baggie pants and be used to cause others harm, and i'm sure there is some other good reasons I cant think of right now.

Fine and arrest, doesn't bother me really.

as a smoker I have to deal with similar issue, I cant go here and smoke, you cant smoke over here, smoking isnt allowed, etc. Why because the second hand smoke kills people (bullshit) and its nasty, and it costs money to clean up after etc etc. Not really that big a difference.

personal choice=deal with consequences.

A Thing of Eternity

The law isn't against baggy pants though, it's against wearing them low - there's really no logical or sane reason to ban them, it's just silly. And showing underwear... well if THAT is considered indecent then wherever considers that indecent is probably in some sort of time-loop and stuck back in the 50s. :roll: There's no law that I'm aware of that says you have to be wearing two layers of clothes over certain parts of your body, so there's no technical difference between underwear and outerwear at all.

As a smoker as well I actually think that one is completely different, second hand smoke DOES kill people when they're exposed to a lot of it (non debatable - when people say it's MORE dangerous than smoking, THAT is bullshit for sure, but it absolutely does kill people/make them sick), and us smokers generally do make a disgusting mess of butts on the ground. I definitely think the laws we have in my city about not smoking close to doors of buildings are bullshit, that amount of second hand smoke won't hurt a fly - but no smoking inside buildings makes total sense, I was happy to see the laws go into place for that.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's an AMENDMENT to the city public decency ordinance:
AN ORDINANCE
ENTITLED
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ARTICLE IV CHARTER 38 OF THE CITY CODE
BY REPEALING THE PRESENT SECTION 38-147; CREATING A NEW SECTION
38-147 "PUBLIC INDECENCY PROHIBITED"; REPEALING PRIOR
ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.

WHEREAS, the laws of the State of Georgia prohibit public indecency and authorize
municipalities to enact similar legislation, all so as to protect and preserve the health, safety, and
welfare of the citizens of the City; and

WHEREAS, the City of Albany finds exposure of an individual's buttocks, genital area
or undergarments is lewd and indecent; and

WHEREAS, the City of Albany desires to respond to the adverse effects of such
lewdness so as to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizenry; and

WHEREAS, the City of Albany recognizes that wearing saggy pants is injurious to
public health, safety and welfare; and

WHEREAS, with the passage of any ordinance, the City of Albany accepts as binding
the applicability of general principles of criminal and civil law and procedure and the rights and
obligations under the United States and Georgia Constitutions, Georgia Code, and the Georgia
Rules of Civil and Criminal Procedure; and

WHEREAS, it is not the intent of this ordinance to suppress any speech activities
protected by the U.S. Constitution or the Georgia Constitution, but to enact this legislation to
combat the effects of indecency/lewdness.

Purpose. It is the purpose of this ordinance to respond to certain acts of lewdness and
indecency in order to promote the health, safety, morals, and general welfare of the citizens of
the City of Albany. The provisions of this Ordinance have neither the purpose nor effect of
imposing a limitation or restriction on any rights protected by the United States Constitution or
the Constitution of the State of Georgia.

Findings and Rationale. Based on evidence of the adverse effects of public indecency and
lewdness, including the wearing of saggy pants as defined in Section 2 (7) below, and public
indecency being a rational basis upon which to enact the instant ordinance, see e.g. the plurality
opinion in Barnes v. Glen Theatre, Inc. 501 U.S. 560,567-72 (1991).

NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Board of Commissioners of the City of
Albany, Georgia and it is hereby ordained by authority of same:

SECTION 1. Section 38-147 of the City Code entitled "Defecation In public" IS
repealed.

SECTION 2. Hereafter, Section 38-147 of the City Code shall read "Public Indecency
Prohibited"

(a) A person commits the offense of public indecency when he or she performs any
of the following acts in a place where a person should reasonably expect to be in view of
the public:

(1) An actual or simulated act of sexual intercourse or masturbation;
(2) Exposure ofthe genitals;
(3) A lewd appearance in a state of partial or complete nudity;
(4) A lewd caress or indecent fondling of the body of another person;
(5) A lewd caress or indecent fondling of the sexual organs of any person, including
oneself;
(6) Urination or defecation; or
(7) Appears wearing pants or skirts more than three inches below the top of the hips
(crest of the ilium) exposing the skin or undergarments.

(b) Fines and penalties - A citation shall be issued to the offender and the person
shall be subject to a penalty of not less than twenty five dollars on the first offense
and not more than two hundred dollars for each subsequent offense. In addition
to or in lieu of a fine, the court may order such person to participate in up to forty
hours of court approved community service activities. Violators shall not be
subject to arrest or imprisonment for violation of the section, however, the
municipal court shall have the same authority as the superior court to enforce
obedience to its orders, judgments and sentences.

(c) Defenses- It is a defense under the subchapter if it is determined, after a hearing
or trial, that the person was exercising rights protected by the Federal or State
Constitution. Any defense under this subsection must be asserted prior to any
hearing or trial in the matter.

SECTI ON 3. If any provision or item of this ordinance or the application thereof is held
invalid, such invalidity shall not affect other provisions, items, or applications of this ordinance
which can be given effect without the invalid provisions, items or applications, and to this end
the provisions ofthis ordinance are hereby declared severable.

SECTION 4. All ordinances and parts of ordinances in conflict herewith are expressly
repealed.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Notice this law REPEALS the "Defication In Public Act". :?
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

So if a girl's bra strap is showing they'd get a ticket?! Oh man, maybe everyone should just wear a burka and get it over with. :roll:

And this one:
WHEREAS, the City of Albany recognizes that wearing saggy pants is injurious to
public health, safety and welfare; and
RIiiiiiiight. Wow, I'm put Albany on the list of places I'm not visiting, I might get tossed in jail for saying "darn" or missing church. :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:It's an AMENDMENT to the city public decency ordinance:
(7) Appears wearing pants or skirts more than three inches below the top of the hips
Notice, they're not banning sagging pants, just pants that sag more than three inches. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It's an AMENDMENT to the city public decency ordinance:
Notice, they're not banning sagging pants, just pants that sag more than three inches. :wink:
:lol: What a weird place...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:Notice this law REPEALS the "Defication In Public Act". :?
No worshipping, regarding, or treating someone or something as a god?

No, wait, that's deification... :think:

:naughty:

:lol: