Obama Drops the ‘Bedroom Slippers’ Bomb

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Obama Drops the ‘Bedroom Slippers’ Bomb

Post by Freakzilla »

By Anthony Ventre | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 17 hrs ago..

..COMMENTARY | President Barack Obama called up fire and brimstone on blacks unwilling to "take off your bedroom slippers" and "put on your marching shoes."

The "marching shoes" reference intended to capture the civil rights spirit and seemed a matter of political desperation, according to Washington Post columnist Courtland Milloy.

But the "bedroom slippers" allusion was baffling. Was the "bedroom slippers" allusion supposed to be a metaphor for laziness or complacency?

Hadn't black communities that supported Obama in 2008 demonstrated considerable patience for a segment of the population experiencing 16.7 percent unemployment?

In college, I shared an apartment for a couple of years with two black students, one from Bristol, Pa., and the other from Westfield, N.J. I'd never known either one to wear bedroom slippers, but both were hard-working and made something of themselves.

Years later, I shared an apartment with another black man. He was one of the most ambitious guys I've ever met, was ultimately successful and didn't own a pair of bedroom slippers.

Around that same time period, I dated a black woman for a few months. I don't know if she became successful or not but she worked hard when I knew her and I never saw her in bedroom slippers.

For several years, I was an amateur boxing coach. The majority of our kids were black or Hispanic, as were most of the coaches.

People who don't like to work hard never show up twice in a boxing gym. When amateur boxers have extra money, they buy boxing shoes, not bedroom slippers.

I'm not an expert on minority culture, but allow that I don't fit so well into the media stereotype of a television Republican conservative.

From my observations, I believe many blacks are instinctually conservative in most areas except politics, where they have been persuaded by the magic fairy dust of politicians that they are Democrats.

President Obama's suggestion of laziness or complacency at the Congressional Black Caucus was something I'd never observed through my own admittedly narrow cultural window.

The only black I've ever seen wearing bedroom slippers was comedian Bill Cosby in a portrayal of a black middle-class television family. Yet, everyone knows that the real-life Cosby is not a bedroom slipper kind of guy.

Cosby's early year struggles make even Horatio Alger's characters look like slackers. For his well-intended exhortations to the black community, Cosby has been characterized by some blacks as a "race traitor."

Yet, there are signs Cosby's message has gotten through, with Philadelphia Democratic Mayor Michael Nutter recently telling minority youth to "pull your pants up and buy a belt."

Nutter's fulminations are graphic but do not singularly apply to minority youth.

The truly wondrous thing is that Nutter was not accused of being a "race traitor." Moreover, Whyatt Mondesire, head of the Philadelphia NAACP, even said it "took courage" for Nutter to deliver the message.

I would expect President Obama has had considerably more exposure to the black community than I have had. Yet, it's clear Obama's exhortations had more to do with capturing the black vote than on solving 16.7 percent unemployment among black adults and 25 percent among black youth.

"Stop complaining, stop grumbling, stop crying, we are going to press on, we've got work to do," President Obama told the CBC audience.

Seems like harsh advice from a president who spends so much time blaming his administration's frustrations and failures on a president who is nearly three years gone.

Anthony Ventre is a freelance writer who has written for weekly and daily newspapers and several online publications. He is a frequent Yahoo contributor, concentrating in news and financial writing.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-drops-bedro ... 00093.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Re: Obama Drops the ‘Bedroom Slippers’ Bomb

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I like wearing slippers around the house.
I bring nothing to the table.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Are you black?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I got some black in me. I'cn feel it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was thinking about turning black, but that's so 2008.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My wife is Sicilian, and you know what they say about Sicilians...
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

That's politically incorrect. :wink:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, it makes me feel better. :?
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Freakzilla wrote:Are you black?
I'm brown and beautiful, but not "black." Maybe somewhere down the line... Who knows?
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

My slippers are black, and beautiful.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Are you black?
I'm brown and beautiful, but not "black." Maybe somewhere down the line... Who knows?
I guess Obama was talking to YOU, then! :P

Get your marching boots on!

(So do you take any offense at what he said?)
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Why would I take offense?
I don't really care what any of those people have to say. They can't make things better, and, probably, can only make things worse. I don't know and I don't really care.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

If Obama managed to say something offensive I'd probably just like him more...