GA IMMIGRATION BILL

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

GA IMMIGRATION BILL

Post by Freakzilla »

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Georgia Governor Nathan Deal signed into law on Friday an immigration bill giving police authority to question suspects about their immigration status which is similar to a controversial measure passed in Arizona.

The law also requires many private employers to check the immigration status of newly hired workers on a federal database called E-Verify.

"Today is a dark day for Georgia," said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials, or Galeo.

"Our concern stems from the very serious economic repercussions that will be felt against our state on numerous fronts and the very serious civil and human rights abuses that will also likely follow..."

Opponents predicted costly and drawn-out litigation similar to what has happened following Arizona and Utah laws.

In the absence of federal immigration reform, several states have followed Arizona in enacting or considering immigration laws of their own.

But last month, a U.S. appeals court agreed with an earlier court ruling that blocked parts of Arizona's law from going into effect, including the provision that would require police to determine the immigration status of a person they have detained and suspect is in the country illegally.

Arizona's Republican Governor Jan Brewer said she would petition the U.S. Supreme Court to lift the injunction.

On Tuesday, a federal judge temporarily blocked a milder immigration law in Utah. The ruling by District Judge Clark Waddoups came on the same day the Utah law, passed earlier this year, went into effect.

During a speech in Atlanta on Saturday, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, the former governor of Arizona, said state laws cracking down on immigration are "based on a falsity" that the federal effort is ineffective.

"The falsity is that there has been nothing done, that the border somehow is out of control. That is incorrect," she said.

(Additional reporting by Tim Gaynor; Edited by Colleen Jenkins and Greg McCune)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/1 ... 61652.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: GA IMMIGRATION BILL

Post by Freakzilla »

Carlos Santana uses Phillies-Braves ceremony to criticize immigration law

Posted at 02:42 PM ET, 05/16/2011

By Cindy Boren

Carlos Santana was given the Beaconof Change award before the Atlanta Braves' fifth annual Civil Rights Game on Sunday against the Philadelphia Phillies and he used the opportunity to criticize Arizona and Georgia for their new immigration laws.

Saying he represented immigrants, the Grammy winner said at Turner field, “The people of Arizona, and the people of Atlanta, Georgia, you should be ashamed of yourselves.”

On Friday, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed a bill that requires many employers to check the immigration status of new hires and authorizes law enforcement officers to check the status of some suspects. The law, one of the toughest in the nation, is similar in some respects to one enacted last year in Arizona.

“This law is not correct. It's a cruel law, actually,” Santana, who emigrated to San Francisco in the 1960s, said after the ceremony. “This is about fear. Stop shucking and jiving. People are afraid we're going to steal your job. No, we aren't. You're not going to change sheets and clean toilets. ...

“This is the United States. This is the land of the free. If people want the immigration laws to keep passing, then everybody should get out and leave the American Indians here.”

Chicago Cubs Hall of Famer was presented with the Beacon of Life award to Cubs Hall of Famer Ernie Banks and actor Morgan Freeman was given the Beacon of Hope award. “Today” co-host Al Roker was the moderator and the ceremony featured a tribute to Hank Aaron. Commissioner Bud Selig attended the ceremony.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... _blog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

For this one I don't even need to make a post, my sig line works just fine. :wink: (I don't actually have much of an opinion on this issue, I just find this cartoon too on the nose to not post it here!)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Here is one more place I wont be bringing my little brown, beautiful family.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

When is all this shit going to stop? It's fucking depressing how reactionary and scared people are from having a black president.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:When is all this shit going to stop? It's fucking depressing how reactionary and scared people are from having a black president.
This shit is cyclical. It keep going back and forth.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:When is all this shit going to stop? It's fucking depressing how reactionary and scared people are from having a black president.
When does my part of the cycle get here? Or do I only get to enjoy "less bad" every so often?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
When does my part of the cycle get here? Or do I only get to enjoy "less bad" every so often?
Yep, that's about it.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What does this have to do with having a black president?
~Pink Snowman
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Freakzilla wrote:
Because it's how racists draw conclusions. They see immigration law, they assume black people are still from Africa.

Sorry, but this whole harping over a law that's in almost every state already is ridiculous. Becoming a law 'again' is to get attention on a stance. GA wants attention and national security. Gonzalez also wants attention, but also Money.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

If the federal government doesn't want to enforce its own laws then the states have to do something on their own.
~Pink Snowman
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Freakzilla wrote:If the federal government doesn't want to enforce its own laws then the states have to do something on their own.
That's what it has come to. I mean, in this day and age, returning the Federal Gov't to its original intent and purpose, and holding State Sovereignty above Federal seems to me very impossible. But at the same time, I cannot deny States the right to determine what happens within the state. Immigration is something that needs to be reformed. And needs to be taken care of. My girlfriend is South African, and her sister has told me several times that if you hold dual citizenship from a country that has a terrorist under watch, the Federal Gov't has the right to invade your private life in any way they seem fit, as well as revoke your citizenship status for the reason of having dual citizenship.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

If the laws we already have were just enforced it would help a lot but I'm sure reform isn't a bad idea, either.

I seriously doubt this law was passed in Georgia out of racism or because we have a black president. :roll:

We don't have a problem with people who want to work. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Freakzilla wrote:If the laws we already have were just enforced it would help a lot but I'm sure reform isn't a bad idea, either.

I seriously doubt this law was passed in Georgia out of racism or because we have a black president. :roll:

We don't have a problem with people who want to work. :wink:
I coined the term "Welfairies" a long time ago. You're welcome to use it.
Long Live the Fighters.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:If the federal government doesn't want to enforce its own laws then the states have to do something on their own.
Freak, there has actually been MORE enforcement and deportments under Obama than Bush. You just never hear about it. The sections of the Arizona law that have been struck down have been done so because they violate the constitution AND the rights of US citizens who are not white. In fact, in Arizona, employers are already suppose to use a state database to check citizenship, but most of the companies refuse to use it. How the fuck is that the Fed's fault?

Yes, there is still an illegal immigration problem, but these immigration laws do nothing to address the problem, instead they are used as ways to marginalize and harass those who are not white, even if they are legal citizens.

Rob
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
That's what I want to know.

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

meh.

nobody called'em illegal immigrants until this guy showed up,
talking about Fair Wages & Occupational Safety & Basic MotherFucking Human Rights ...

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

US farms at risk as workers flee immigration law

by Ray Glier Ray Glier – Thu Jun 23, 9:48 am ET
ATLANTA, Georgia (AFP) – A controversial immigration law in the US state of Georgia has brought unintended results, forcing farmers to reluctantly turn to ex-convicts as Latin American manual workers flee.

Low-skilled, undocumented workers, who for years have formed the backbone of this southern state's farming economy, have bolted in the lead-up to the law taking effect on July 1, fearing deportation if caught working here.

The measure's mainly Republican supporters argue that the state needs to enforce immigration laws in the absence of effective federal action, saying schools, jails and hospitals are overburdened by illegal aliens.

But as the full cost of the immigration reform emerges in the form of an estimated millions of dollars worth of crops rotting in fields, it could alarm other states that have passed or are considering similar strict measures.

Georgia labor officials estimate a shortage of some 11,000 workers in the agriculture sector, and the state has enacted a program where people on probation, who often have difficulty finding jobs, are sent into the fields.

Melinda James, of Osage Farms in Rabun Gap, admits the "probationers" are not her first choice for the jobs, which often involve long hours working in fields under the punishing southern heat.

But with the gaping hole in their normal workforce, many reluctant farmers have little choice.

"We're going to have to train them -- that's a cost we're going to have to absorb," James told AFP.

"If they pass a drug test and they're drug free, we'll use them if we have to," she added, pointing out that many workers they used to employ "are scared to come to Georgia."

Other farmers, such as Dan King of Five Brothers Produce in Rebecca, refuse to hire people on probation despite the shortage in laborers.

"I don't need to make it easy for someone to case my place and come back and steal from me after hours," he said.

The new law's impact is being closely watched in neighboring South Carolina, where opponents have slammed a proposed immigration measure as a "Draconian racial profiling bill" that would take a similar toll on the economy.

The American Civil Liberties Union has said it will join a coalition of other rights groups in filing a lawsuit against it if Governor Nikki Haley signs the measure -- already approved by the legislature -- into law.

The ACLU said the law would invite police and employers to racially profile Latinos and demand to see documents proving citizenship.

Marielena Hincapie, head of the National Immigration Law Center, said similar bills passed in Arizona, Indiana, and Utah are "unconstitutional" and betray "American values."

In Georgia, the effects of the law have been felt far beyond farms.

Of the estimated 11.2 million illegal immigrants in the United States, 425,000 live in Georgia, making it the state with the seventh largest number of illegal immigrants, the Pew Hispanic Center said in a February report.

A provision in the law targeting transport used by illegal immigrants has sown fear among taxi drivers in Atlanta and other cities, who fear they could be held responsible for unknowingly picking up undocumented workers.

Quinton Washington, an Atlanta attorney representing cab and limousine drivers, said they could be arrested and face a $1,000 fine, a court date and an impounded car if one of their passengers turns out to be an illegal alien.

That has yet to happen, but Washington warned that it was unclear how such a situation would be dealt with.

"There has to be a provision protecting the common carrier," he said, adding that his group may choose to file a lawsuit but was waiting for word from law enforcement agencies on how they will apply the new law.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Judge blocks parts of Ga. immigration law

By KATE BRUMBACK and GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press
Mon Jun 27, 5:27 pm ET

ATLANTA – A federal judge on Monday temporarily blocked parts of Georgia's strict new law targeting illegal immigration from taking effect, including a provision that authorizes police to check the immigration status of suspects without proper identification and to detain illegal immigrants.

Georgia's became the latest in a string of state laws that have been at least temporarily stopped by legal challenges. All or parts of similar laws in Arizona, Utah and Indiana also have been blocked by federal judges.

Judge Thomas Thrash also granted a request from civil liberties groups to block a part of Georgia's law that penalizes people who knowingly and willingly transport or harbor illegal immigrants while committing another crime.

"The defendants wildly exaggerate the scope of the federal crime of harboring under (the law) when they claim that the Plaintiffs are violating federal immigration law by giving rides to their friends and neighbors who are illegal aliens," he said.

The judge was especially critical of that provision, blasting the state's assertion that federal immigration enforcement is "passive." Thrash noted that federal immigration officers remove more than 900 foreign citizens from the country on an average day.

He also wrote that the state measure would overstep the enforcement boundaries established by federal law. Thrash noted that there are thousands of illegal immigrants in Georgia because of the "insatiable demand in decades gone by for cheap labor" in the agriculture and construction industries. But he said the federal government gives priority to prosecuting and removing illegal immigrants who have committed crimes.

The civil liberties groups had sued to have those and other provisions blocked before they took effect Friday, though Thrash did toss parts of that lawsuit. The groups had argued that the law allows unreasonable seizures; blocks a constitutional right to travel; and restricts access to government services on the basis of national origin. The judge dismissed those claims, along with allegations the measure violates property rights and the state constitution.

Nonetheless, the groups hailed the ruling.

"This is a victory that matches the trend nationally. It should send a really strong signal to other states considering such laws," said Karen Tumlin, a lawyer for the National Immigration Law Center.

Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens said in a statement his office plans to appeal the court's ruling. He said he was pleased that parts of the lawsuit were dismissed.

The law's main sponsor, Republican state Rep. Matt Ramsey, called the judge's ruling a temporary setback.

The judge also was concerned about the wider implications of the law on trade and diplomatic relations, which were laid out by Mexican officials in court documents.

"The conflict is not a purely speculative and indirect impact on immigration. It is direct and immediate," he wrote.

The federal judge also accused the state of "gross hypocrisy" in its argument that Georgia's crackdown would prevent the exploitation of illegal immigrants.

"The apparent legislative intent is to create such a climate of hostility, fear, mistrust and insecurity that all illegal aliens will leave Georgia," he said.

"Curiously, the court writes `all illegal aliens will leave Georgia' if the law is enforced, as if it is appalled at the thought of people attaining visas before coming to our nation," said Brian Robinson, a spokesman for Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal.

Similar laws elsewhere have met similar fates. A federal judge has blocked the most controversial parts of the law in Arizona, where Gov. Jan Brewer has said she plans to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In Utah, a federal judge temporarily blocked that state's law last month. A hearing is set for mid-July to determine if the law can go into effect. And on Friday, a federal judge blocked parts of Indiana's law.

On Friday, many parts of the law will take effect. Among them is one that makes it a felony with hefty penalties to use false information or documentation when applying for a job. Another creates an immigration review board to investigate complaints about government officials not complying with state laws related to illegal immigration.

Starting Jan. 1, businesses with 500 or more employees will have to use a federal database to check the immigration status of new hires, a requirement that will be phased in for all businesses with more than 10 employees by July 2013. Also starting Jan. 1, applicants for public benefits will have to provide at least one state or federally issued "secure and verifiable" document.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Not surprised. All of these laws do not address people who are here legally and gives immunity to law enforcement for violating the rights of people who are legal citizens. In Arizona Hispanics who were US citizens were detained and forced to produce birth certificates to prove they were citizens.

Here is another tidbit, one of the teachers I worked with, her husband is a supervisor for the Border Patrol, he told me they've Done more deportations and crackdowns on illegal immigration during Obama's term than under Bush. You don't hear anything because they do not want to advertise what they are doing.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

6 young illegal immigrants arrested in Ga. protest

By KATE BRUMBACK - Associated Press | AP – Wed, Jun 29, 2011

.ATLANTA (AP) — Six young illegal immigrants were arrested Tuesday after they sat down and blocked traffic near the Georgia state Capitol to publicly declare their status and to protest state policies targeting people who are in the U.S. illegally, the latest in a string of such "coming out" events in Georgia and other parts of the country.

The young people were protesting a policy that bars Georgia's most competitive state colleges and universities from accepting illegal immigrants and they were opposing strict new state legislation. A federal judge on Monday blocked two key provisions of that law. The young people, who decided to risk arrest and deportation for their protest, say that's not enough.

Federal judges have now blocked parts of similar laws in Arizona, Utah, Indiana and Georgia from taking effect. Civil liberties groups have pledged to sue to block others in Alabama and South Carolina.

"It's time to stand up and let the world know that we need to fight for what we believe in," said Nataly Ibarra, a 16-year-old high school student.

Four of the young people arrested are high school students, one is a recent high school graduate and one is a 24-year-old college graduate. All six face charges of reckless conduct, obstructing law enforcement and obstructing the street. The three who are under 18 were to be released to their parents. Two 18-year-olds and the 24-year-old were set to be taken to the Fulton County Jail.

Barbara Gonzalez, press secretary for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, issued a statement after the arrests: "ICE takes enforcement action on a case by case basis — prioritizing those who present the most significant threats to public safety as determined by their criminal history and taking into consideration the specific facts of each case, including immigration history."

Last year, four young people were arrested during a sit-in at U.S. Sen. John McCain's office in Arizona. Students at several suburban Atlanta high schools staged walkouts last month, and a group of seven illegal immigrant young people were arrested in April after they sat down in a downtown Atlanta street and blocked traffic to call attention to their situation. Five others were arrested in May at the Indiana office of Gov. Mitch Daniels after a protest grew confrontational.

Many of the activists hold out hope for the DREAM Act, legislation that would provide a path to legalization for certain young people brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents. The bill has been introduced several times in Congress without success. A Senate subcommittee held a hearing on the legislation Tuesday.

Several dozen students in their caps and gowns attended the hearing, despite their status as illegal immigrants. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., introduced several who had demonstrated excellence in many facets of life but were unable to get jobs in their chosen fields.

"They want to serve the country they love," Durbin said. "All they want is a chance."

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said lawmakers from both parties have compassion for the students who would be helped by the legislation, but he said the details are important. He pointed to changes that he believes are necessary for the bill before it can gain more Republican support.

Opponents of the DREAM Act often agree that young people brought here when they're young have compelling stories. But giving them a path to legalization could create increased competition for young Americans who already are having trouble finding jobs, they say.

The Georgia university system last fall adopted a policy barring state colleges and universities that have rejected academically qualified students in the prior two years from accepting illegal immigrants.

Judge Thomas Thrash on Monday ruled on a request by civil liberties groups to block Georgia's new illegal immigration law from taking effect until a lawsuit challenging its constitutionality is resolved. Thrash temporarily blocked a provision that authorizes police to check the immigration status of suspects without proper identification and to detain illegal immigrants and another that penalizes people who knowingly and willingly transport or harbor illegal immigrants while committing another crime.

The law's author, state Rep. Matt Ramsey, R-Peachtree City, has said it's needed to keep illegal immigrants from draining the state's resources.

Many parts of the law will take effect Friday. One of them makes it a felony to use false information or documentation when applying for a job. Another creates an immigration review board to investigate complaints about government officials not complying with state laws related to illegal immigration.

Starting Jan. 1, businesses with 500 or more employees must use a federal database to check the immigration status of new hires. That requirement will be phased in for all businesses with more than 10 employees by July 2013. Also starting Jan. 1, applicants for public benefits must provide at least one state or federally issued "secure and verifiable" document.

Also on Tuesday, the Birmingham, Ala., City Council unanimously approved a resolution seeking the repeal of Alabama's new law targeting illegal immigration, with members calling it a hateful reminder of the state's not-too-distant past as a bastion of legalized racial segregation.

___

Associated Press Writer Kevin Freking in Washington, D.C., contributed to this story.
~Pink Snowman
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

These laws seem blatantly unconstitutional, as in a state cannot set new immigration laws or enforcement procedures unless the Federal government passes a law specifically authorizing it. America was explicitly established to have a Federal Government with supremacy over all the state governments on issues like this.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Right, we already have federal immigration laws that need to be enforced.
~Pink Snowman