civil unions discriminate against straight people

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Schu

civil unions discriminate against straight people

Post by Schu »

I thought this was a clever take on the issue of gay marriage.

Basically, couple wants to get a civil union because they don't want anything that discriminates against gay people. Council refuses to let them get one because they're not same sex.
Mr Freeman and Miss Doyle, both 25, from Islington, have been in a relationship for four years.

Mr Freeman said: "It would be lovely to formalise our relationship but we are completely turned off by the whole institution of marriage because it discriminates against gay people."
Their bid was supported by human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell.

Mr Tatchell said: "The ban on heterosexual civil partnerships is heterophobic. It is disciminatory and offensive."
A Thing of Eternity

Re: civil unions discriminate against straight people

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:lol:

That's why legalizing gay marriage is so much better! Plus, it really pisses the Xians off. :wink:
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

You can register your relationship in Australia - I guess this is like a civil union?? My partner and I are considering this to ensure all legal rights are transferred to the other if one of us kicks the bucket - especially regarding our son.

The only problem is that it costs ~$250, whereas a marriage license is more like $40!! Why - cos it isn't a religious ceremony???
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK, I changed my mind: I hope the 2012 Doomsdayers are right. We're basically too stupid to deserve to exist.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SimonH wrote:You can register your relationship in Australia - I guess this is like a civil union?? My partner and I are considering this to ensure all legal rights are transferred to the other if one of us kicks the bucket - especially regarding our son.
That is just so simple and makes so much sense.

That's why it will never fly in the States.

God I hate people.

Happy Thanksgiving! :D
lotek

Post by lotek »

how's that for a laugh:
http://www.newser.com/story/74400/texas ... riage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

well done guys!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

Fools. They call themselves Christians? The Jesus that I'm aware of did not judge or discriminate. Does "let he who hath no sin among you cast the first stone" ring a bell?

I think Aaron Sorkin said it best:
[How] is my marriage, your marriage, or anyone else's marriage even marginally affected by the gay couple two doors down from them also getting married, and if it does, how is that their problem?
President Bartlet: I like how you call homosexuality an abombination.
Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President, the Bible does.
President Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.
Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.
President Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophmore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? "Think about that, will you? Oh, and one last thing. You may have mistaken this for your meeting of the ignorant tight-asses club but in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.
If Frank Herbert were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what they've done to his legacy.

I bought the very first prequel on Amazon as soon as it was available. God! I wouldn't wipe me arse with that trash! Never again, says I. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The_Preacher wrote:
President Bartlet: I like how you call homosexuality an abombination.
Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President, the Bible does.
President Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.
Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.
President Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophmore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? "Think about that, will you? Oh, and one last thing. You may have mistaken this for your meeting of the ignorant tight-asses club but in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.
One of my all-time favorite scenes from ANY TV show. Defines "bitch-slap". :D
A Thing of Eternity

I was reading it thinking, man, when did the US have a president that intelligent... then I realized it was from a TV show. :(
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The contrast between Bartlett (realistic) and Bush (make-believe) was always too painful to entertain for too long. :(
lotek

Post by lotek »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I was reading it thinking, man, when did the US have a president that intelligent... then I realized it was from a TV show. :(
well us French don't even have a good TV show president, we're only left with that living joke called sarkozy...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
A Thing of Eternity

lotek wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I was reading it thinking, man, when did the US have a president that intelligent... then I realized it was from a TV show. :(
well us French don't even have a good TV show president, we're only left with that living joke called sarkozy...
We had Trudeau, but that was a long time ago, and half the country hates his guts. Right now we have either a robot or motorized corpse running things, the jury is out on which exactly.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Schu wrote:I thought this was a clever take on the issue of gay marriage.

Basically, couple wants to get a civil union because they don't want anything that discriminates against gay people. Council refuses to let them get one because they're not same sex.
Mr Freeman and Miss Doyle, both 25, from Islington, have been in a relationship for four years.

Mr Freeman said: "It would be lovely to formalise our relationship but we are completely turned off by the whole institution of marriage because it discriminates against gay people."
Their bid was supported by human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell.

Mr Tatchell said: "The ban on heterosexual civil partnerships is heterophobic. It is disciminatory and offensive."
Peter Tatchell. :puke: Since when has that demented clapped out old circuit queen started calling himself a human rights campaigner?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.