Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

othaderak

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Post by othaderak »

SandRider wrote:What's the rules on that for a sitting president ? (I think Wilson was the
only sitting president who won, yeah ? Seems like Carter was already
out of office, but maybe not.)
Teddy Roosevelt got one 1906 for mediating the Treaty of Portsmouth to end the Russo-Japanese War and he was still president until 1909.

Wilson's was awarded in 1919 for founding the League of Nations and his term ended in 1921.

Carter's was in 2002 for, well, everything he did after he stopped being president, and his term ended in 1981.
Arrrmanda

Post by Arrrmanda »

Nekhrun wrote:So everyone who doesn't like it can suck on Obama's Peace (piece?) :dance:
Aww gross. But I won't deny that like all white women, I may have once or twice thought he was cute.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Yeah, whatever. MADtv actually gets people that look like people they want to make fun of, and the jokes are better/true.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:Yeah, whatever. MADtv actually gets people that look like people they want to make fun of
Typical liberal attack. At least you didn't say it's because he's black.
and the jokes are better/true.
Which parts aren't true?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

If you mean my "whatever" was the typical liberal attack (though I'm not a liberal), that statement directed towards SNL, not the skit. I don't find SNL funny and never really did.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the president just can't do things. Bills need to go through Congress first, and only when they have does the president get to have some say on it. (Then, of course, Congress can go ahead and say no anyways with 3/4) I don't believe much has actually gone through to him for him to be able to get anything done anyways.

What I find annoying, however, is the skit supposing that Obama hasn't got anything done despite him having "the power"... There's a thing called compromise, which our government is supposedly based on, and even if the president could do everything he sets out to do I wouldn't think that very democratic in the first place. Basically, it's a bad joke.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So it is true.

This is not unique to Obama, it's all politicians. I don't think they should get Noboel Prizes for broken promises.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Crysknife wrote:God damn it AToF, when you gonna come down here for a beer, dude? You think just like me. I think we would be friends man.....Just had a killer jam session with my band tonight and I'm stoked. Had a few too mahny as well, but hey its all freking good right?\\

fuicking love you guys! My dune friwends are fuckign great. Got a kilelr weekend palnned with the wife. Life isn't too bad.
You do seem like you'd be awesome to have a drink with... but you live in the north american version of Iran. :wink: Scary place ye be in, scary.

I will seriously have to try to make it down sometime.

Or - you could just move up here to sane-land. It sounds like you're in pretty much the worst possible place on the continent for your beliefs and political views.
:D
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Freakzilla wrote:This is not unique to Obama, it's all politicians. I don't think they should get Noboel Prizes for broken promises.
Well I think he "deserves" it, but really... He could become either the next greatest president ever in the next four years or just be a total loser that's only remembered for being black. I think nominating him, let alone awarding him, the thing is just grounds for him to say "You know what? No compromise. I'm right."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:I think nominating him, let alone awarding him, the thing is just grounds for him to say "You know what? No compromise. I'm right."
Come on, he can't even get his OWN PARTY to back him on health care.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Did he write it himself?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:Did he write it himself?
Nope, he gave Congress no guidance whatsoever. I doubt he'll read it, either.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

He probably won't. The conservatives should realize they're wasting time and money with all this, so the liberals should just say "Look. You know we're not backing down... What changes do we need to make to get it passed?" Does anyone bother to compromise anymore, instead of bitching and moaning until an even shittier draft comes up because they didn't mutually work on it?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:He probably won't. The conservatives should realize they're wasting time and money with all this, so the liberals should just say "Look. You know we're not backing down... What changes do we need to make to get it passed?" Does anyone bother to compromise anymore, instead of bitching and moaning until an even shittier draft comes up because they didn't mutually work on it?
You seem to be under the illusion that politicians are in this for us. The way they vote is based ONLY on improving their chances of re-election.

I think the majority (last poll was like 75%, I think) of people would like to fire the whole damned Congress and start over.

There is going to be a major turnover next year, watch...
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

llusion? Maybe I am liberal. Damn youthful idealism...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:llusion? Maybe I am liberal. Damn youthful idealism...
You'll grow out of it, I promise. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And still it's da bestest damned gobment around, right?

:roll:

Edit: I'm feeling old & cynical. :D
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Crysknife wrote:God damn it AToF, when you gonna come down here for a beer, dude? You think just like me. I think we would be friends man.....Just had a killer jam session with my band tonight and I'm stoked. Had a few too mahny as well, but hey its all freking good right?\\

fuicking love you guys! My dune friwends are fuckign great. Got a kilelr weekend palnned with the wife. Life isn't too bad.
You do seem like you'd be awesome to have a drink with... but you live in the north american version of Iran. :wink: Scary place ye be in, scary.

I will seriously have to try to make it down sometime.

Or - you could just move up here to sane-land. It sounds like you're in pretty much the worst possible place on the continent for your beliefs and political views.
:D
We need a damn Dune Convention.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:We need a damn Dune Convention.
Now THAT's the first thing in this thread I've seen make any sense at all. :D

LET'S DO IT. If we wait for the Herbert Leech Parade to get off their asses (=finish figuring out how they can milk the most money out of it), it ain't ever gonna happen or it'll be years and years and years.

What's that Nike motto again? :P
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

:oops: Hehe...

Yeah, a convention or some kind of get together sounds like a blast. This idea has been talked about for years and years.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The economic situation at present doesn't help matters, of course. (Omph's noted a decrease in cons over on T(A)U.) :(
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Make it a pot-luck and I'm game.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I can barely afford to get to work. :(
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I can barely afford to get to work. :(
We're goin' to Atlanta!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I can barely afford to get to work. :(
We're goin' to Atlanta!
Can we do it at my house? :P
~Pink Snowman