FCC: "Net Neutrality" rules...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

E. LeGuille

FCC: "Net Neutrality" rules...

Post by E. LeGuille »

On 9/21, the FCC's Chairman, Julius Genachowski will announce a proposed set of the rules on Net Neutrality, as endorsed by the FCC.

The major portion, is of course, the free flow of information, and that the FCC will bar actions taken by ISPs to prevent this same free flow of information. This is the original article, My Way News -- Official: FCC to propose "net neutrality" rules

It's interesting that Obama has taken to charge this particular issue, considering it has been a major topic, but not very well known. The now former Alaska senator, Ted Stevens, had been a big proponent of limitations on the net, considering it's potential for copyright infringement, and possible intellectual theft. Of course, we all remember this because Ted Stevens described the internet as a Series of Tubes... yep, that guy was against a Telecomm bill's amendment, S.2686 -- a bill which he had authored -- of a net neutrality clause that had been added. He gave an 11-minute speech on his interpretation of the internet. During his term from '06 to '09, he vehemently had taken the issue to heart, and had several times disclosed his displeasure in net neutrality.

There are several reasons as to why information should be free.
Ted Stevens' internet memes are one of them.
Long Live the Fighters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: FCC: "Net Neutrality" rules...

Post by SandChigger »

POLITICS forum?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Oops :P
Long Live the Fighters.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

The article involves politics.

I'm glad to see the prez taking a stance against those who want to privatize the internet. The benefits of the web as it currently is, far outweigh the problems such as piracy and cyber crime (which would probably continue regardless). Back when radio was first booming, a move was made so that no one could broadcast without a license. That's what AT&T wants to do with the internet, and I'd probably off myself if they ever succeeded.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

They're prety thick if they think they can regulate and limite the use of the internet, it's just going to slip from their grasp. And who the hell buys into the piracy and cyber crime bullshit excuse anymore?
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

They can't regulate the current incarnation of the internet, but they'll (try and) find a way of regulating whatever comes next - using new super-fast stuff and ting to get people to sign up willingly.

By regulate... I mean monetize...
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

This is a Profit-motive.
There are Many like it, but this One is Mine.

Without me, my Profit-motive is Useless.
Without my Profit-motive, I am Useless.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:
This is a Profit-motive.
There are Many like it, but this One is Mine.

Without me, my Profit-motive is Useless.
Without my Profit-motive, I am Useless.
:lol:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

okay, how bout this scenario :

some huge meglomonopoly news & entertainment corporate conglomerate
buys up hundreds and hundreds of small, local ISPs, (like mine) and maybe
one or two of the big-ass portals like NetZero and whatever the hell they have ....

somewhere in bowels of the offices of this mindless corporate monster sits a little
guy in a cubicle, in charge of banning or allowing URLs thru all these ISPs, now a
solid majority of all ISPs available in America ... he gets a call from another cubicle
monkey in some other, separate division of this mammoth company,
a division that publishes trash novels for the preteen/YA market - this guy
has gotten a call from some shitbag lawyer representing some obscure little group
called the "HLP", who in turn have been getting all these bitchy emails from some
hack named "Keith" ....

Jacurutu is banned with the click of a mouse ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008