Iranian Elections

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Iranian Elections

Post by Freakzilla »

I suppose most of you have read about the recent re-election of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the Iranian public's massive protests calling the election a fraud. One person has been shot to death by the Revolutionary Guard, that we know of and Journalists are being kicked out of the country. Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei directed the Guardian Council to examine the election claims.

What do y'all think, could this be the start of a reform revolution in Iran?

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Iranian Elections

Post by Omphalos »

The start of a crackdown, it seems. We won't know if it will turn into a revolution for some time. I get the feeling that this is largely student run? Which is funny since it was the students that started that whole mess there.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

My bet is that it will turn ugly very quickly. I really feel for those poor people living under that physcopath.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

i have a feeling its going to be put down quickly and harshly and wont really have a chance to get rolling. But we shall see.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hmm ... reminds me of this time of year twenty years ago....
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Hmm ... reminds me of this time of year twenty years ago....
Keeping an eye out for the tanks in the public square, are you?

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hmmm ... more like for brains spilled on the bricks and concrete. (The pic they showed on CNNj a little while ago of the one(?) reported fatality thus far got pretty close. :( )

The media warfling about revolution and blah blah blah and stroking its own dick feels really familiar, too. Who will be our virtually clueless Dan Rather waxing poetic about "Chinamen Square" in this new summer of discontent? :roll:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Now is the time to strike with all our might!

:Adolf:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That didn't take long. :roll:

(And I'm sure there are high-ranked idiots actually considering it. Let's see, why was humanity dying out such a tragedy again?)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:That didn't take long. :roll:

(And I'm sure there are high-ranked idiots actually considering it. Let's see, why was humanity dying out such a tragedy again?)
I have no doubt the generals in Iraq and Afghanastan are on high alert already.

IMO, people who use a line of children to clear mine fields deserve to die out. In fact, I'll help.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Yeah, what good does re-counting the votes in a rigged election do?
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Bender probably went back in time and destroyed the votes.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Who knew they were paying attention and actually learned something from Dubya. :shock:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Who knew they were paying attention and actually learned something from Dubya. :shock:
I wish we could say the same for Obama, at least GW stood up to N. Korea. Obama's going to wait until they nuke California.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Who knew they were paying attention and actually learned something from Dubya. :shock:
I wish we could say the same for Obama, at least GW stood up to N. Korea. Obama's going to wait until they nuke California.
And you care about California why? :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Obama should be doing more. he should be, at the very least, asking them to aim for Alabama. :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You never did like Phaedrus, did you? :(
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Obama should be doing more. he should be, at the very least, asking them to aim for Alabama. :wink:
NO! Not for Alabama, That's a little too close for comfort.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Love how the Neo-cons are saying the election wasn't rigged and is legitimate, they sure do have a hard on for nuclear armageddon.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

When's the next flight to Mars? :?
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

Sorry, but how much do any of us know about Iranian politics?

I can't say with great conviction that the election was rigged, how the fuck would I know? In fact (not aimed at anybody in this thread) how can anybody know unless we're somehow involved? Anybody here from Iran? or in the Iranian government?

The reason why I point this out is not because I like the guy, to be honest I'd rather have seen him out of there. But I'm not going to go stating that its rigged because I heard it on the news or because people who obviously didn't vote for him are protesting against him right now (or because I just don't like him). I'm yet to see any conclusive proof of fraud, granted it COULD have been rigged without any proof of it, but if thats the case why rage against it? theres nothing that can be done. If conclusive evidence can be found then there'd be an international reaction, he's not exactly a popular guy. Despite all this, I don't have a clue about the other guy, is he better or worse? I barely know his name.

Sometimes democracy delivers you something you don't like. By the way, I'm not saying that Iranians don't have a right to protest, they definitely do, but thats because they live there and know more about whats happening than all of us combined.

As for cracking down on the protests and foreign media that, is far more damning than the suspicion of rigging the elections. My opinion is that it stems from the fact that Ahmadinejad has no compassion for the western media, and really couldn't care less about international opinion of him rather than as a means to cover up rigging the election. He is using his control of the media as a means of restoring peace and consolidating his power (which is something that many leaders around the world are guilty of doing; hint-hint). Just my opinion on the matter and I welcome someone who knows more about it to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry to rant, I've just read so many threads about this all over the net and it annoys me to see so many people argue about something they think they know a lot about.The one Iranian person I know certainly doesn't like Ahmadinejad, but from what he's said there are far worse problems there than who the president is.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

NotAbout wrote:Despite all this, I don't have a clue about the other guy, is he better or worse? I barely know his name.
Mir-Hossein Mousavi Khameneh (میرحسین موسوی خامنه; born 29 September 1941) is an Iranian reformist politician, painter and architect who served as the fifth and last Prime Minister of the Islamic republic of Iran from 1981 to 1989. Mousavi is currently the president of the Iranian Academy of Arts and was a candidate for the 2009 presidential election.

He was the last Prime Minister in Iran before the constitutional changes which removed the post of prime minister. Before that, he was the Minister of Foreign Affairs. He is also a member of the Expediency Discernment Council and the High Council of Cultural Revolution. However, as of 2009, he has not participated in their meetings for a long time which is interpreted by political analysts and commentators as a sign of his disapproval. Mousavi holds a Masters degree in Architecture from Shahid Beheshti University. In the early years of the revolution, Mousavi was the Editor-in-Chief of the official newspaper of the Islamic Republic Party, the Jomhouri-e Eslami (Islamic Republic) newspaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir-Hossein_Mousavi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I think the suspicion of election tampering comes from the fact that a winner was declared an hour after the polls closed. Millions of people voted, and a lot of them with paper ballots, there's no way they counted them that fast.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:
Well, I'm not sure what Bush said about North Korea to stand up to them, but whatever it was, clearly it didn't do much good. NK poses a real threat to the US, but Iraq didn't, and I say actions speak louder than words. My guess is the reason neither president has acted because the situation is so damned risky. They could FIRE ZE MISSILES as soon as they spot the first sign of military action, which would suck.

But hopefully Obama takes action using his super powers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ZUwokkmeU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Wait for it...

wait for it...

Iran accuses US of meddling after disputed vote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090617/ap_ ... n_election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman