Religion

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Religion

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I'd settle for just one good woman.
Good luck. :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

GamePlayer wrote:I'd settle for just one good woman.
the riddle of life
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Yeah, you think that but you'll be lucky if you find one that can tolerate just living with you.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I already have one good woman, so i'll settle for that volcano beer thingy that Freak spoke... :text-givemebeer:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Rakis wrote:I already have one good woman, so i'll settle for that volcano beer thingy that Freak spoke... :text-givemebeer:
My first conversion! Please don't tell anyone I wasn't wearing full pirate regalia.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I think world religion courses should be manditory EVERY year in EVERY school. It should be illigal to raise a child ignorant of any religion but their own, it's a very serious form of child abuse and I think the state should step in and force it.

It's in no way a violation of anyone's rights, no one is being told they aren't allowed to tell their kid what religion they think is right, they're just being stopped from spreading lies and ignorance about other religions.

As far as taking anything in the Bible (new or old testament) literally - only a fool would do this, regardless of how strong their faith in god is.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

And Aberham said "Im sorry Im not hearing you, can you turn up the gain on your microphone?"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SadisticCynic wrote:Edit: I suppose you could just shorten it to Cynic or whatever...
Or how about we just call you SadCynic? :sad:
Freakzilla wrote:My first conversion! Please don't tell anyone I wasn't wearing full pirate regalia.
FOUL! Image

I agree that children should be exposed to different religions, either through courses or assemblies (for the young'uns), while growing up. At the very least it's an exposure to differing ideas and beliefs. I didn't take a World Religions course until college. Wish I'd done so sooner. Maybe then I wouldn't be a heathen! As it is, I only celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah for the presents. :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You have a Jewish and a Christian parent? Interesting...
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

If a given religion offers so little that one must indoctrinate children to sustain it, then that religion should cease to be followed.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Freakzilla wrote:You have a Jewish and a Christian parent? Interesting...
:crazy: , right?

Neither of them are that religious, though I grew up celebrating more Jewish holidays. The only thing regarding religion that would piss them off would be if I told them that I don't believe in God. Though I know that there are benefits to religion, I only see it as a way to control the masses. Dune probably only reinforced that idea since I was already in college by the time I read them proper (the originals).
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Funny link here - a kid tells his mom he does not belive in god, she has a very christian reaction to his new found understanding

http://www.buzzfeed.com/reddit/youre-an ... me-a-f-bre

I think you will all enjoy the ending.
A Thing of Eternity

GamePlayer wrote:If a given religion offers so little that one must indoctrinate children to sustain it, then that religion should cease to be followed.
Exactly, any religion that could survive the process of actually having it's young educated about the facts deserves to continue, if it cannot survive then it is a poison and should be stamped out.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Tleszer wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:Edit: I suppose you could just shorten it to Cynic or whatever...

Sad as in pitiful or sad as in depressed?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Great video. Good thing Keyboard Cat was there to save the day!
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Does anyone not like keyboard cat?

I have an orange cat just like that one, it makes me giggle everytime.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: Iraq Veterans are terrorists - Janet Napolitano

Post by Eyes High »

SadisticCynic wrote:First of all, the killing of Abraham's son was a test of Abraham's faith (and his son's incidentily) and God clearly did not mean for him to kill him as he provided the ram and stopped Abraham from killing his son. This event was also a foreshadowing of God's sacrifice of Jesus. Also elsewhere in the Bible God explicitly expresses his extreme disapproval of child sacrifice etc. Some knowledge of the full story is evidently required here.

Second, I assume you mean this Freak:
18 “In case a man happens to have a son who is stubborn and rebellious, he not listening to the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and they have corrected him but he will not listen to them, 19 his father and his mother must also take hold of him and bring him out to the older men of his city and to the gate of his place, 20 and they must say to the older men of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he is not listening to our voice, being a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 Then all the men of his city must pelt him with stones, and he must die. So you must clear away what is bad from your midst, and all Israel will hear and indeed become afraid. - Deuteronomy 21: 18-21
In this case it would seem to make sense to me to punish rebellious children that were going this drastically astray. (Reminds me of many stupid young people actually).

In any case, this obviously is not followed exactly anymore as the Law no longer applies - Jesus replaced the Law with something better: principles. The idea of the Law was to instill values in people until the Messiah came, which people ignored, focusing on technicalities instead. Now the principles are:
Children, be obedient to YOUR parents in union with [the] Lord, for this is righteous: 2 “Honor your father and [your] mother”; which is the first command with a promise: 3 “That it may go well with you and you may endure a long time on the earth.” 4 And YOU, fathers, do not be irritating YOUR children, but go on bringing them up in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah. - Ephesians 6: 1-4
CF: Proverbs 22:6

Phew! At least, thats what I think :)
I like the way you put that Cynic. Well many of you already know my view on religion and Jesus.

I do not support violence against others for not believing the way you do. Violence solves nothing. Those who promote murders of abortion doctors or homosexuals or members of certain groups whether they race, ethnic, or books clubs are guilty of murder. Those extremists are hurting their cause. Which with some extreamists IMO their causes are stupid to begin with i.e. the KKKK.

Well. sorry to have gotten in on the discussion so late. But glad that y'all are willing to talk about such topics as this. No matter if we agree with each other or not, at leat we treat each other with due respect.

:clap: :pray:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:If a given religion offers so little that one must indoctrinate children to sustain it, then that religion should cease to be followed.
Exactly, any religion that could survive the process of actually having it's young educated about the facts deserves to continue, if it cannot survive then it is a poison and should be stamped out.
So...all religions should be stamped out, since they're all worthless and false.

We're in agreement!
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SwordMaster wrote:east vs. west

Jesus vs. Buddha

Try to list the differences between these two
Buddha: middle ground, focuses on ending personal suffering by ending personal desires.

Jesus: "Because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.” Lots of personal suffering for the good of others. Strict moral code involving complex system of punishments and rewards for various actions.

It's like the difference between black and white. And they're both wrong!
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Tleszer wrote:

Sad as in pitiful or sad as in depressed?
How about Sad-C ?

or SaCy?

What about Bob? :lol:
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Phaedrus wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:east vs. west

Jesus vs. Buddha

Try to list the differences between these two
Buddha: middle ground, focuses on ending personal suffering by ending personal desires.

Jesus: "Because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.” Lots of personal suffering for the good of others. Strict moral code involving complex system of punishments and rewards for various actions.

It's like the difference between black and white. And they're both wrong!
Im sorry dude but you do not really know your Jebus!

The whole last half "Strict moral code involving complex system of punishments and rewards for various actions." is not Jesus, that is the church making themself somehow important when Jesus said "you do not need the help of church or priest to connect to god"

Most people confuss the church with Jesus message. The same with Buddha, Mohammed, even Moses.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Phaedrus wrote:
So...all religions should be stamped out, since they're all worthless and false.

We're in agreement!
Religion isn't going to go away. History has shown that people will simply replace one religion with another.
We're in the midst of a religious shift right now. The younger generations are increasingly replacing christianity with environmentalism; save the planet, not your soul.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

Phaedrus wrote:

We're in agreement!
Should be but won't be. Right now we seculars can acomplish much more by fighting hard against extremism alongside moderate religious people than we can fighting both full on. We should start by stamping out the religions that rely primarily on keeping the young in the dark about science and other religions, then we can move towards agnosticism from there.

I wouldn't say they're all worthless, that's vastly oversimplified, they all have lots to offer - but I think we agree that the damage and danger and simple rejection of reality far outweigh the good that comes from them. I think the myths themselves do have great value, both as works of art and for their themes - but they should be regarded as valuable myths, not as real history.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Religion (emulation of adults by the child) encysts past mythologies: guesses,
hidden assumptions of trust in the universe, pronouncements made in search of
personal power, all mingled with shreds of enlightenment. And always an
unspoken commandment: Thou shalt not question! We break that commandment daily
in the harnessing of human imagination to our deepest creativity.

-Bene Gesserit Credo
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

When I first read that, especially about not questioning, it brought into new light for me the Scriptures:
Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine. - 1 Thessalonians 5: 21

and,
Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world. - 1 John 4: 1
Blindly following what others tell you is not a good idea. Deciding for yourself and taking responsibility for your own thoughts, decisions and actions seems to me a common theme in the Bible. You cannot believe God's Word just because someone charismatic tells you so (heroes again). And this I think applies everywhere, not just in terms of religion. Doubt can be very helpful at times.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity