Energy

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Energy

Post by Freakzilla »

Well, the natural gas bridge is a smoldering pile of ashes in my rear view mirror. I called them just to see if they would be nice enough to work out a payment arrangement and turn my gas back on, they said they would not until they had the whole amount plus a $60 re-connection fee. SO, I said, "Fuck you".

I bought a GE 12 gallon electric tank and a 125 amp sub-panel which I plan to install tonight. So if y'all don't hear from me tomorrow I was either electrocuted or drowned.

I decided against the tankless electric for a couple of reasons; the power draw was incredible, and the more water you use the lower the temperature gets.

I may add some small tankless electric heaters for the sinks at a later date.

Now I have until winter to choose and install some kind of electric heat for air conditioning.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:Well, the natural gas bridge is a smoldering pile of ashes in my rear view mirror. I called them just to see if they would be nice enough to work out a payment arrangement and turn my gas back on, they said they would not until they had the whole amount plus a $60 re-connection fee. SO, I said, "Fuck you".

I bought a GE 12 gallon electric tank and a 125 amp sub-panel which I plan to install tonight. So if y'all don't hear from me tomorrow I was either electrocuted or drowned.

I decided against the tankless electric for a couple of reasons; the power draw was incredible, and the more water you use the lower the temperature gets.

Now I have until winter to choose and install some kind of electric heat for air conditioning.

You get winter? :shock:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Well, the natural gas bridge is a smoldering pile of ashes in my rear view mirror. I called them just to see if they would be nice enough to work out a payment arrangement and turn my gas back on, they said they would not until they had the whole amount plus a $60 re-connection fee. SO, I said, "Fuck you".

You get winter? :shock:
Not really, here in The South we have three seasons; Spring, Summer and Christmas. I guess building an igloo is out.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've been browsing the Home Depot web site... I mean working... and I discovered that they make double pole breakers that will fit in a 1 inch slot. I could replace my old 2 inch DP breakers and make room for the one I need for the water heater. Then I won't have to add a new sub-panel.

I wonder what their policy is for returning something that's been opened? I bet I could at least get store credit.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I've been browsing the Home Depot web site... I mean working... and I discovered that they make double pole breakers that will fit in a 1 inch slot. I could replace my old 2 inch DP breakers and make room for the one I need for the water heater. Then I won't have to add a new sub-panel.

I wonder what their policy is for returning something that's been opened? I bet I could at least get store credit.

I hate home depot, shitty place to work.

Buuuut, if you want a discount on something there it's easy to get. When you're ringing it through, tell the cashier you saw it for less (pick a specific amount) at Lowes, or whatever other home hardware store is in the area, and ask politely if they can do price matches. IF the difference is LESS than $45 the company policy is for the cashier to just go ahead with the pricelmatch, no questions asked.

Don't go over 45$ though, or they have to get an assistant manager involced to OK the transaction.

Not a tonne of money, but could save to 40$ or so on whatever you're buying.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:I've been browsing the Home Depot web site... I mean working... and I discovered that they make double pole breakers that will fit in a 1 inch slot. I could replace my old 2 inch DP breakers and make room for the one I need for the water heater. Then I won't have to add a new sub-panel.

I hate home depot, shitty place to work.

Buuuut, if you want a discount on something there it's easy to get. When you're ringing it through, tell the cashier you saw it for less (pick a specific amount) at Lowes, or whatever other home hardware store is in the area, and ask politely if they can do price matches. IF the difference is LESS than $45 the company policy is for the cashier to just go ahead with the pricelmatch, no questions asked.

Don't go over 45$ though, or they have to get an assistant manager involced to OK the transaction.

Not a tonne of money, but could save to 40$ or so on whatever you're buying.
$45 can buy me a good time. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Got the electric HWH installed, it draws a lot less current than I expected. Only a 15A circuit. I have it using one of the kids rooms lighting circuits and still need to replace that with the 2-15A tandem breaker I got. They sleep on the couch anyway... Water is warming up, I need to scrub my goat smelling ass with a wire brush.

I bought the HWH at Lowe's, and the install stuff at HD, BTW.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:Got the electric HWH installed, it draws a lot less current than I expected. Only a 15A circuit. I have it using one of the kids rooms lighting circuits and still need to replace that with the 2-15A tandem breaker I got. They sleep on the couch anyway... Water is warming up, I need to scrub my goat smelling ass with a wire brush.

Did you get my top-secret-discount? I wasn't making that policy up you know. :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:Got the electric HWH installed, it draws a lot less current than I expected. Only a 15A circuit. I have it using one of the kids rooms lighting circuits and still need to replace that with the 2-15A tandem breaker I got. They sleep on the couch anyway... Water is warming up, I need to scrub my goat smelling ass with a wire brush.

Did you get my top-secret-discount? I wasn't making that policy up you know. :wink:
No, I had already bought all that stuff before you mentioned that. Next home-improvement project...

I only got soaked head-to-toe once, this time. Now I know how tight "wrench-tight" is.

I need to put weatherstripping on the windows, I'd like to put key-locks on them too so the kids can't open them.
~Pink Snowman