Why United States is the most hated country in the world....

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:Hey, if you don't like out policies, our politicians, like our land, bussinesses and goods, are for sale.

You'll have to see what China has in the pot before raising.
thanks for the history lesson FZ, I had not known how big the hemp factor was, very interesting.

But generally speaking, Canadians think of Americans as "our brothers and sisters to the south"

We love America in many ways, just desire some respect from your side as well.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

There may be a percieved lack of respect, but you have to remember that our politicians don't really represent the average American, they represent lobbyists, who represent corporations or activist groups. We may joke about Canada but I don't think there's any lack of respect between our people.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

SandRider wrote:say Freak, you can take that "hemp is beautiful" hippie bullshit elsewhere.

I know you dopeheads, yeah, hemp is a wonderful, amazing fiber,
with hundreds of uses and applications - bullshit, you'll be out back
of the barn smoking all the rope ......

fucking pothead hippie liberals ....
Yea! :evil:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:There may be a percieved lack of respect, but you have to remember that our politicians don't really represent the average American, they represent lobbyists, who represent corporations or activist groups. We may joke about Canada but I don't think there's any lack of respect between our people.
I would like to say "thanks brother" to THAT!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Well, I can offer some opinions on Canadian-American relations as I see them. I agree with Freak-Z that there is little if any ill will between Canada and the US as a whole. But sadly you don't hear the voice of nations, you hear the voice of the media, of the pundits, of the politicians and so forth. But more important than all those narrow opinions or the general good will between our nations, there is much to be said about the simple reality of being Canadian in the age of the American.

I've always felt the American people are at their best when they have someone to fight. Not necessarily in a literal sense (though that works too) but in a competitive sense. Americans derive a lot of focus and pride from being good at what they do; being the best in fact. Now that they are the only remaining Superpower, they don't have the Russians to challenge them anymore. Without challenge, the Americans have a tendency to become listless, aberrant, and unfocused. If we Canadians as a people want the best from our American neighbours, we would do well to encourage the best in them by helping to fill that gap.

As a rule, Canadians are...how shall we say, "less adept" at taking risks, betting big and self-promotion. An unfortunate side effect of this mindset is our propensity to avoid innovating and spending big on risk. We buy most of our technology from other nations, our entertainment from other cultures, our pride from being nothing more than different. This is not to say we don't research ourselves, that we aren't talented, and that we don't have pride in doing well. We are all those things, but we are very rarely the ones to make the breakthrough, to hit it big, to find notice among the world at large and as such, we evolved a society of limited pioneering vision. This leads to the often lamented "brain drain", in which the best and brightest of our nation are hindered by a self-imposed, risk-averse culture and a cost-effective "buy-not-build" national policy. As a result, those Canadians that excel are limited in their own country and are forced to seek high end opportunity in nations where there is an outlet for top-of-their-field performance. As most are no doubt aware, the United States is one of the foremost countries in the world for innovation, culture and success.

More than anything else, I think that's what is lacking in my nation as a global player; a desire to play in the global game and play hard. We've become comfortable with our prosperous nation and it's extensive wealth. We've become too used to having others do for us and living well off that high standard of living. It's too easy for us to simply buy rather than build, so we don't even try. But there is more to be gained than money in the struggle to achieve. Canada has more to offer than building the best nuclear reactors in the world or whatever token "first" that most of the rest of the world only cares about when "first" means "cheap" through trade with us.

As such, I have always personally felt America would be better off if Canada were more aggressive, more proactive, more engaging. If Canada heightened its will to achieve, our own high standards for achievement can bring out the best in American achievements. But if Canadians (and other nations) don't present competition for the Americans, the Americans have less and less incentive to achieve for themselves. If America becomes the "best of the worst", that's not really much of a prize now is it?

All this talk of building international relations and healing wounds is great, but the political reality of being Canadian in this current geopolitical world is that the we need to act as the incentive that drives America. Sandbox politics work on a global level as much as they do in the school yard. Respect and understanding between Canada and the U.S. would come much easier if the U.S. had more reasons to stand up and take notice of Canada. And as our successful expatriates in the U.S. and abroad have shown us, we should be more of an outlet for our home grown talent. We can do better by them and in turn, be done better by the U.S. and our other allies and trade nations around the world.

So anyway, rant over :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

good rant.

I give it an 85.

It's got a beat & you can dance to it ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I've always felt the American people are at their best when they have someone to fight. Not necessarily in a literal sense (though that works too) but in a competitive sense. Americans derive a lot of focus and pride from being good at what they do; being the best in fact. Now that they are the only remaining Superpower, they don't have the Russians to challenge them anymore. Without challenge, the Americans have a tendency to become listless, aberrant, and unfocused. If we Canadians as a people want the best from our American neighbours, we would do well to encourage the best in them by helping to fill that gap.
You're absolutely right. I've said it before, just not so eloquently.

Gen. G. S. Patton said it well. This is from his speach to his troops on June 5th, 1944, one day before the allied invasion of Europe:

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle. You are here today for three reasons. First, because you are here to defend your homes and your loved ones. Second, you are here for your own self respect, because you would not want to be anywhere else. Third, you are here because you are real men and all real men like to fight. When you, here, everyone of you, were kids, you all admired the champion marble player, the fastest runner, the toughest boxer, the big league ball players, and the All-American football players. Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American."

I know you didn't mean fighting in a litteral sense and I don't think Patton did either.

Maybe that's the quality about us other countries don't like, our agressiveness. Hell, when we get bored we fight each other.

But you're right, we need a constant challenge or we get fat and lazy.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

GamePlayer wrote:Well, I can offer some opinions on Canadian-American relations as I see them. I agree with Freak-Z that there is little if any ill will between Canada and the US as a whole. But sadly you don't hear the voice of nations, you hear the voice of the media, of the pundits, of the politicians and so forth. But more important than all those narrow opinions or the general good will between our nations, there is much to be said about the simple reality of being Canadian in the age of the American.

I've always felt the American people are at their best when they have someone to fight. Not necessarily in a literal sense (though that works too) but in a competitive sense. Americans derive a lot of focus and pride from being good at what they do; being the best in fact. Now that they are the only remaining Superpower, they don't have the Russians to challenge them anymore. Without challenge, the Americans have a tendency to become listless, aberrant, and unfocused. If we Canadians as a people want the best from our American neighbours, we would do well to encourage the best in them by helping to fill that gap.

As a rule, Canadians are...how shall we say, "less adept" at taking risks, betting big and self-promotion. An unfortunate side effect of this mindset is our propensity to avoid innovating and spending big on risk. We buy most of our technology from other nations, our entertainment from other cultures, our pride from being nothing more than different. This is not to say we don't research ourselves, that we aren't talented, and that we don't have pride in doing well. We are all those things, but we are very rarely the ones to make the breakthrough, to hit it big, to find notice among the world at large and as such, we evolved a society of limited pioneering vision. This leads to the often lamented "brain drain", in which the best and brightest of our nation are hindered by a self-imposed, risk-averse culture and a cost-effective "buy-not-build" national policy. As a result, those Canadians that excel are limited in their own country and are forced to seek high end opportunity in nations where there is an outlet for top-of-their-field performance. As most are no doubt aware, the United States is one of the foremost countries in the world for innovation, culture and success.

More than anything else, I think that's what is lacking in my nation as a global player; a desire to play in the global game and play hard. We've become comfortable with our prosperous nation and it's extensive wealth. We've become too used to having others do for us and living well off that high standard of living. It's too easy for us to simply buy rather than build, so we don't even try. But there is more to be gained than money in the struggle to achieve. Canada has more to offer than building the best nuclear reactors in the world or whatever token "first" that most of the rest of the world only cares about when "first" means "cheap" through trade with us.

As such, I have always personally felt America would be better off if Canada were more aggressive, more proactive, more engaging. If Canada heightened its will to achieve, our own high standards for achievement can bring out the best in American achievements. But if Canadians (and other nations) don't present competition for the Americans, the Americans have less and less incentive to achieve for themselves. If America becomes the "best of the worst", that's not really much of a prize now is it?

All this talk of building international relations and healing wounds is great, but the political reality of being Canadian in this current geopolitical world is that the we need to act as the incentive that drives America. Sandbox politics work on a global level as much as they do in the school yard. Respect and understanding between Canada and the U.S. would come much easier if the U.S. had more reasons to stand up and take notice of Canada. And as our successful expatriates in the U.S. and abroad have shown us, we should be more of an outlet for our home grown talent. We can do better by them and in turn, be done better by the U.S. and our other allies and trade nations around the world.

So anyway, rant over :)
Great rant, you could give Rick Mercer a run for his money!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Excellent rant, I agree that our politicians (and people in general) need to much more activley compete with the US and give them something to take notice of/worry about. It'll better both places in the end, and it's not like the US is going to invade us or stop buying our resources just because we start being agressive.
A Thing of Eternity

Drunken Idaho wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Purge wrote:
Purge wrote:
Eyes High wrote::roll:
You don't think there is any validity to Freak's statement?
There probably is a lot of truth to it for many countries...

... but not this one. :wink:
I thought we were talking about countries that actually hate America. I didn't think Canada hated America.
Nope, we don't, and this thread really is about Canada so I don't think I was wandering off topic as I so often do.

:wink:
SandChigger wrote: Nearly posted before, though, when I saw someone kinda asking for forgiveness and pointing out that all Americans aren't like that. That kinda pissed me off.

If anyone out there in the wide world seriously needs to be told that, they're an idiot of about the same order as the one in the clip who started all this (I assume). I'm not so blinded by stars and red, white and blue stripes that I think the United States is God's answer to the world. Our country has done shitty things throughout its history and will continue doing them as long as it is able. Might convinces itself that it is Right and does as it pleases. That's the way the world works and pretty much always has. Sunt lacrimae. And there are always going to be idiots who believe whatever their own country does is fine and dandy and keep on waving the flag.
I agree totally and was actually planning on saying something but forgot. No need at all to apologize for idiots who happen to be born within the same lines drawn on a map as oneself, we'd all die of old age before we ran out of BS to apologize for. As for letting us know y'all aren't like that - anyone who would judge the bulk of the US by clips of people like that is just as feeble minded as the people in the clip.
But if the United States is the most hated country in a world that has sterling exemplars to compare it with like China or the former Soviet Union, well, that says more about the rest of the world, no?
Of course. The US is the most hated because right now it's the most powerful single nation, and as such there's a lot of resentment (look at how most of us talk about obscenely rich people, that's how the poor countries look at the west - people hate the West, and who's the poster-country for the West?...) and like freak said, simple jealousy. It also means that when the US fucks up (like every country does) it unfortunately hurts everyone else, it's unavoidable. Not to condone the US's fuckups, they do tend to be pretty magnificent, but they are magnified by the sheer weight the US throws around.

There's also some resentment towards the "we're the greatest nation on Earth" sentiment that a lot of rightwing nuts throw around, if a person isn't smart enough to see that those are the extremists it really gives the impression that the US can be more of a cult than a nation at times.

I don't buy that jealousy nonsense for one second. Nor do I think that the resentment stems solely from the attitude of the US. More than anything, it's the actions of the the United States that makes them hated. In one way or another, they've been meddling in middle-eastern politics ever since the end of WWII. When it's not occupation, it's secretly funding militias to fight their enemies for them. The US is hated by most of the world because they've directly impacted the lives of people in other countries, and those people don't like it. And seriously, don't expect it to stop any time soon. The US has been dicking around in the sandbox for 7 years now, and no democratic revamping of their government is going to make them forgive the US for fucking up their lives and killing their families. I know it's not that simple from the perspective of the troops, and I may seem biased, but believe me those Iraqi/Afghan have a much stronger bias than myself. Try to see it from their POV. The only thing thay have to blame is the actions of the US, and for as long as they live, that hate will never die. It's sad but true.

This reminds me of a joke Jon Stewart made a few days ago... He was responding to Obama saying that the people of the middle east needn't think of the US as an enemy. Stewart said that in a change of attitude, extremeists then started chanting "injury to America."
I don't dissagree with you, the US (and west in general, let's not think we're saints here) does do a lot of serious damage globally, but I think what I pointed out has a lot to do with it as well.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Purge wrote:
Purge wrote:

I thought we were talking about countries that actually hate America. I didn't think Canada hated America.
Nope, we don't, and this thread really is about Canada so I don't think I was wandering off topic as I so often do.

SandChigger wrote: Nearly posted before, though, when I saw someone kinda asking for forgiveness and pointing out that all Americans aren't like that. That kinda pissed me off.

If anyone out there in the wide world seriously needs to be told that, they're an idiot of about the same order as the one in the clip who started all this (I assume). I'm not so blinded by stars and red, white and blue stripes that I think the United States is God's answer to the world. Our country has done shitty things throughout its history and will continue doing them as long as it is able. Might convinces itself that it is Right and does as it pleases. That's the way the world works and pretty much always has. Sunt lacrimae. And there are always going to be idiots who believe whatever their own country does is fine and dandy and keep on waving the flag.
I agree totally and was actually planning on saying something but forgot. No need at all to apologize for idiots who happen to be born within the same lines drawn on a map as oneself, we'd all die of old age before we ran out of BS to apologize for. As for letting us know y'all aren't like that - anyone who would judge the bulk of the US by clips of people like that is just as feeble minded as the people in the clip.
But if the United States is the most hated country in a world that has sterling exemplars to compare it with like China or the former Soviet Union, well, that says more about the rest of the world, no?
Of course. The US is the most hated because right now it's the most powerful single nation, and as such there's a lot of resentment (look at how most of us talk about obscenely rich people, that's how the poor countries look at the west - people hate the West, and who's the poster-country for the West?...) and like freak said, simple jealousy. It also means that when the US fucks up (like every country does) it unfortunately hurts everyone else, it's unavoidable. Not to condone the US's fuckups, they do tend to be pretty magnificent, but they are magnified by the sheer weight the US throws around.

There's also some resentment towards the "we're the greatest nation on Earth" sentiment that a lot of rightwing nuts throw around, if a person isn't smart enough to see that those are the extremists it really gives the impression that the US can be more of a cult than a nation at times.

I don't buy that jealousy nonsense for one second. Nor do I think that the resentment stems solely from the attitude of the US. More than anything, it's the actions of the the United States that makes them hated. In one way or another, they've been meddling in middle-eastern politics ever since the end of WWII. When it's not occupation, it's secretly funding militias to fight their enemies for them. The US is hated by most of the world because they've directly impacted the lives of people in other countries, and those people don't like it. And seriously, don't expect it to stop any time soon. The US has been dicking around in the sandbox for 7 years now, and no democratic revamping of their government is going to make them forgive the US for fucking up their lives and killing their families. I know it's not that simple from the perspective of the troops, and I may seem biased, but believe me those Iraqi/Afghan have a much stronger bias than myself. Try to see it from their POV. The only thing thay have to blame is the actions of the US, and for as long as they live, that hate will never die. It's sad but true.

This reminds me of a joke Jon Stewart made a few days ago... He was responding to Obama saying that the people of the middle east needn't think of the US as an enemy. Stewart said that in a change of attitude, extremeists then started chanting "injury to America."
I don't dissagree with you, the US (and west in general, let's not think we're saints here) does do a lot of serious damage globally, but I think what I pointed out has a lot to do with it as well.
nothing to add; just wanted to contibute to the raising of this
interestingly shaped quote-ziggurat.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

if I could be an asshole and at least add the fact that fox news exists and has these idiots on TV does show that some do agree with that sort of stance.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Of course. Just as there are people who believe all blacks should be slaves, all liberals are pussies, all conservatives are morons, all christians are fundamentalists, all atheists are immoral, all muslims are terrorists, the aliens are among us and the moon landing was fake. Might as well complain that the human race is too human! Regionalism and lame ass jokes on late night American TV aside, who gives a fuck? :P :lol:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I liked your "rant" from earlier GamePlayer. Well said. Well said indeed.

:D
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

GamePlayer wrote:Of course. Just as there are people who believe all blacks should be slaves, all liberals are pussies, all conservatives are morons, all christians are fundamentalists, all atheists are immoral, all muslims are terrorists, the aliens are among us and the moon landing was fake. Might as well complain that the human race is too human! Regionalism and lame ass jokes on late night American TV aside, who gives a fuck? :P :lol:
lol nice 1 again
Purge

Post by Purge »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Purge wrote:
Purge wrote:

The US need not act at all to be hated. I would feel pretty comfortable saying the US has done more in aid and other for the Arab and Muslim people of the Middle East than any other single nation. It's no recent action on our part that has enflamed the Middle East against us. We are infidels and with the fall of the Soviet Union - who they viewed as the greater power anyway - we are the only super power, and are naturally the face of the west and all its godless impiety.

At one point the Soviet Union was crushing and oppressing Muslims left and right, and far from being condemned for it, in some cases members of the OIC went so far as to defend the Soviets. The only real response was some Saudi money, Egyptian weapons, and Arab volunteers for an Islamic counter-attack largely organized bu the United States of America.

The same goes for the numerous instances of Muslim nations slaughtering hundreds of thousands and sometimes over a million fellow Muslims as has been the case in Sudan, Somalia, and the Iran/Iraq wars.

No, we aren't perfect, but if we wanted to be the American Empire we would be. It is not because one nation or another stands in our way that we have declined to do so. We simply have no designs on being a world-wide empire. While Europe was killing eachother, Asia was killing eachother, etc. we came in and had some success in tipping the scales to win the war and then mediating after it. Thus we inherited a position that no other nation at that time appears to have been capable of occupying on its own.

We aren't pure and we aren't evil. We're made up humans just like any other nation. We are a very influential nation who tries not to let that influence go to waste.
Purge

Post by Purge »

Freakzilla wrote:There may be a percieved lack of respect, but you have to remember that our politicians don't really represent the average American, they represent lobbyists, who represent corporations or activist groups. We may joke about Canada but I don't think there's any lack of respect between our people.
I agree. I think there are generally some pretty weak caricatures of Canadians as well as of Americans. They are what they are. Mostly ridiculous, and if used at all used in a joking manner. I can't say I've ever had reason to dislike or mock Canada or Canadians. My boss is Canadian and is one of the greatest men I've ever known.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Give that man a raise! :)
Purge

Post by Purge »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Purge wrote:
I agree. I think there are generally some pretty weak caricatures of Canadians as well as of Americans. They are what they are. Mostly ridiculous, and if used at all used in a joking manner. I can't say I've ever had reason to dislike or mock Canada or Canadians. My boss is Canadian and is one of the greatest men I've ever known.
does he also post on here and that's why you're sucking up to him :P
:D
No! Yes.... :oops:
A Thing of Eternity

SandRider wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:
Purge wrote:
Purge wrote:

nothing to add; just wanted to contibute to the raising of this
Shrinky! :D
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Why do the Canadians get all worked up over what Americans think of them? For God's sake, they're Americans! They inflicted middle of the road rock on an undeserving planet, as well as country and western. Who cares what they think of anything?

Canadians should be more like Brits, and loathe and ignore everyone in equal measure. Apart from the French, of whom we have a particular dislike and with whomwe have a long hate-hate relationship. In fact, the only people we loathe more than the French are other Brits.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

chanilover wrote:Why do the Canadians get all worked up over what Americans think of them? For God's sake, they're Americans! They inflicted middle of the road rock on an undeserving planet, as well as country and western. Who cares what they think of anything?

Canadians should be more like Brits, and loathe and ignore everyone in equal measure. Apart from the French, of whom we have a particular dislike and with whomwe have a long hate-hate relationship. In fact, the only people we loathe more than the French are other Brits.
We care because they are like our brothers and most important friend and trading partner, and we will back them up in almost all things, but we just want a little respect. We get worked up because we overflow with national pride.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

HAHAHAHA! That was a joke, wasn't it?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SandRider wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:
Purge wrote:
Purge wrote:

nothing to add;
Hmm, interesting... Go on...
SandRider wrote:just wanted to contibute to the raising of this
It is rather interestingly shaped isn't it?
chanilover wrote:Why do the Canadians get all worked up over what Americans think of them? For God's sake, they're Americans! They inflicted middle of the road rock on an undeserving planet, as well as country and western. Who cares what they think of anything?

But good call, CL. We're definitely giving the Fox issue more attention than it deserves. I'm surprised MacKay even responded directly. And I'm doubly surprised that there was an apology. Usually Canadians are the only ones good enough to take those kinds of jokes, but this has gone really far. I suppose it is about the honour of those who perished over there, though. I mean, if those same broadcasters started making fun of their own troops, the outrage would be ridiculous.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Are you kidding? The only thing worse than an American is a Brit. Hell, even the French are more tolerable than the English! :P :lol: