Racism

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Racism

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm curious what our American (US) members think of the Trayvon Martin shooting and the media circus surrounding it.

For those who aren't subjected to the US media blitz: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/tra ... 03512.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm curious what our American (US) members think of the Trayvon Martin shooting and the media circus surrounding it.

For those who aren't subjected to the US media blitz: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/tra ... 03512.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that we will never know what truly happened that tragic night.

A nieghbor sent me a link on the story and that link had a link to a PDF that was supposedly a section of the police report.

Well I was going to get that link and post it here but I can't find the post on Facebook. Looks like I've lost five days of notifications over there. :evil:

From what I've read it is under investigation but I doubt he could get a fair trail right now and if he is not charged then I think we may see a riot like the one that happened with the Rodney King verdict.

Racism is real, unfortunately; however, everytime it is accused of happen does not mean it is truly a case of racism.

With that said though, I do think that if the situation was the same except that Martin was white and Zimmerman was black, then Zimmeran would have been in jail all night.

I do wish prejudice didn't exist but I think it will always be around in one form or the other. :(
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I read that the kid punched the guy, jumped on him, smashed his head into the concrete a few times THEN got shot when he tried to take the gun from Zimmerman.

I think the only racism going on here is in the media.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I think that I wasn't there, and chances are, neither were you.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Of course I wasn't, but people around here (the Southeastern US) tend to yell "racism!" at the drop of a hat.
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I won't call it racism.....maybe stereotyping. Fact is, a teenager was shot by a guy who was pursing him. I might have attacked someone too if they came up on me in the night and started shit.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

No one seems to bring up the fact that the shooter was hispanic, only that the kid was black. Why is that?
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Because he's not Hispanic, his father is white so he goes by white. His mother is Latino or Hispanic.

I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. Did the kid hit him in self-defense or in anger? Did he shoot out of fear or hatred or anger?

All I know is that it's a sad situation no matter the races of those involved.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was at my apartment complex (which is mostly Hispanic and Black) gym today, they had one TV on Telemundo and one on MSNBC.

The contrast was amazing.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://news.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-vi ... ories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trayvon Martin Video Shows No Blood or Bruises on George Zimmerman
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

The media has done a horrible job reporting on this story. They've only fueled the flames, I'm sure they get bigger ratings when people are upset. It was wrong of them to only use the picture of Martin when he was 12, and it was wrong of them to only use the picture of Zimmerman from a 5yr old mugshot. Not that their pictures make a difference in the case, but they do make a difference in our perceptions. We do not need people rioting over this shit! Also, they've been spreading rumors as if they were facts.

I watched the video of Zimmerman at the police station earlier, so now his tale of being in a fight with Martin is questionable, to say the least.

I live in Florida (couple hours west of Sanford), and I wasn't aware that the Stand Your Ground law was such an easily used defense. I guess I assumed that if you killed someone you could use the law as a defense in court, not that it would prevent you from being charged in the first place. I know sometimes it is obvious that a person was defending himself, and the person isn't charged, but in this case it really doesn't seem so obvious.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think the law keeps you from being charged, does it? The cops just don't want to charge people with something if they don't think the DA can win in court.

I know this for a fact: If I had shot that kid I'd STILL be in jail.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I read somewhere (who knows if it is true) that the lead investigator did want to charge Zimmerman with manslaughter, but the DA turned it down. I don't think the police care about the DA winning or losing, but I know the DAs care. They base their reelection campaigns on their win record.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

Doesn't matter anyway. Soon we will dragging the world down with us when we have to de-value the dollar next year. Oh well. Worldwide economic depression.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

ErasOmnius wrote:Doesn't matter anyway. Soon we will dragging the world down with us when we have to de-value the dollar next year. Oh well. Worldwide economic depression.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:I live in Florida (couple hours west of Sanford)
Not to derail this thread, but how do you go "a couple hours west" from any point in Florida and not be in Alabama or the Gulf of Mexico? :D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Omphalos wrote:
Not to derail this thread, but how do you go "a couple hours west" from any point in Florida and not be in Alabama or the Gulf of Mexico? :D
Very slowly.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Across the panhandle?
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:Across the panhandle?
Thus "Alabama"

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Jacksonville to Pensacola: 357 miles, 5 hours and 40 minutes in current traffic.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

However, going due west from Sanford you'd hit the Gulf after 75m... if you could drive straight over all the lakes.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Omphalos wrote:
I was thinking of drive time. There aren't any straight shots from Sanford to where I live. Probably take at least 30 minutes to get through Orlando.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Back on topic...

~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I wonder what America would look like if
this was the mainstream news ?

http://www.newnation.org/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008