Human Rights

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Human Rights

Post by Freakzilla »

No silly little thing like human rights is going to stop Sec. of State Clinton in her efforts to solicit more "donations" from the Chinese!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090220/pl ... hinarights
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Pffft, yeah that's pretty weak of her... But it also says a lot about the US's current debt situation (which you can't blame solely on the new administration)

"Oh yeah, Human Rights is very important buuuttt... Let's not worry about that right now. Hook a sista up with another trillion!"
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Definitely disappointing, but totally what I would expect from any of our leaders (or yours in this case), we do too much business with them to not turn a blind eye to their extreme corruption ad human rights violations.

This is something we as a people can't help much with our votes, because no one that we have the option of voting for is likely to do much. The Tibet thing I have no ideas for fixing, but the general human rights issues in that country can actually be improved by us. This can only be fixed by "voting with your dollars". Buy as much fair trade/union made products as possible/you can afford, find out which stores encourage and enforce their manufacturers to treat their workers reasonably and pay them a living wage (Zellers does this, they have people who go over and do inspections), and which ones pretty much actively endorse factories cutting the bottom line no matter what (Wal-Mart is the big offender). Since Zellers and Wal-Mart have similar prices it's easy for the average person to actually enforce some change just by switching stores.

There are all kinds of options for improving the world with simple changes, looks for the Amnesty International approved fair trade symbol on products like coffee and chocolate/cocoa. Or do some quick research into the human rights records of Pepsi and Coke to see which one you should be drinking, and which one sends your money to para-military organizations in return for the abduction, torture and murder of upity union leaders.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So you're concerned about human rights, Freak? That's admirable!

If sudden.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Above the belt gentlemen. :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:So you're concerned about human rights, Freak? That's admirable!

If sudden.
As far as US politics are concerned. I don't think HR is the real meat of this story though. I think Mrs. Clinton is a bad choice for Secretary of state considering the enourmous contributions made to her by foreign nations.

I don't think we should deal with other nations who don't have similar policies to ours. But they've bought off Hillary months and months ago.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yawn.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Yawn.
Is it me, the corruption or the abuses that tires you?
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The bullshit.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Little good will come from continued relations with China. What America use to stand for has become blurred by all the dirty politics.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
moreh_yeladim

Post by moreh_yeladim »

Eyes High wrote:Little good will come from continued relations with China. What America use to stand for has become blurred by all the dirty politics.
Ditto on Saudi Arabia. Oh, and those puppet regimes in South America.

Oh well. I suppose the oil and cheap plastic shite must flow.
Brian Herbert is a perfect example of why you shouldn't leave a universe-spanning empire to your next of kin.