Reading Group Usage

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Reading Group Usage

Post by Freakzilla »

The Reading Group Summaries are a labor of my love for Frank Herbert's Dune Chronicles. Before writing them I read Dune, the 1984 movie edition mass market paperback out of an airport bookstore in Shreveport, Louisiana, at age 13. I then got the Ace box set that included up to God Emperor of Dune in a WalMart in Marietta, Georgia. At that time I was caught up with Frank and his Dune saga and passed my time reading the rest of his novels and short stories, along with the other giants in the genre. Then came Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune at B. Dalton's and Walden's respectively, of Cumberland Mall in Marietta. Frank died and there were no more Dune books, which I conttinued to read an an average annualy. There were wars and rumors of wars. Then, the internets came with all you nice people. Many had a lot of the same questions I had about The Grand Shebang but the more interesting thing was how we usually came to the same answers when we discussed them. At the time of writing these summaries I was 37 and the reading was done of all six books at the same time. That is; chapter one of Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune; chapter two of Dune, Dune Mesiah, etc.

Enough of the begats...

If you have questions that are specific to any one chapter of the books, please post them there. Maybe you have insights that I could add to my summary, maybe my summary is wrong, maybe I summarized the wrong chapter, who knows...

Doing so can help us all have a better understanding of the books.

P.S. Try not to post spoilers for the latter books in the Reading Group, if you have general question or comments on broader topics or ones that may contain spoilers, please post those in the appropriate Dune Discussion Forum.

:Adolf:

Also, please limit posts to serious discussion about the chapter. It's the only Forum in which I ask you to remain on-topic. Useless comments will be deleted at my discretion.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Reading Group Usage

Post by Freakzilla »

I haven't read the series in two years...

Who's with me?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I'm all for it! I've little doubt that my understanding of the series only scratches the surface of an amazing wealth of knowledge. I'm afraid, however, that without 'stupid' questions a lot like us might read on without discussing what is already assumed to be common knowledge. In the interests of making the discussions fresh and new, without employing someone to play the fool, (which would probably not work anyway) I propose we take a note from Omph and make a run through with an eye toward specific themes like politics, religion , finance, and good/bad advice.

A little while ago, someone posted about another ass kissing reviewer- the thing that stood out was his analysis of Franks first sentence of Dune, does anyone remember? He explained, basically , that in 32 words, Frank said more than KJH could in a chapter. That was a good moment for me and I can't help but think that we'd all like more of those.

I fully expect some new stupidity to escape the suckularity soon, and it should be mocked! This fact shouldn't deter our true goal, improving our understanding of the truths Frank wrote about and improving ourselves.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

As the song says, Time Is on Our Side(Yes It Is) ! Time and the fact that no one in their right mind could compare Frank's Dune to the idiots' chinese imitation(you know the Lacoste shirt style with the crocodile upside down).
I believe, probably like most of us here, that posterity will give he hack what he deserves, that is fuck all.

As for rereading Dune, Freak do you need to ask ? ;)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Should be fun and educational :) I'll do it, too.
How do you intend to do this? set number of chapters per week?

Post by lotek »

we should send an invite to kja who obviously has never read Dune
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:Should be fun and educational :) I'll do it, too.
How do you intend to do this? set number of chapters per week?
We'll just do one chapter at a time, when we feel like we've totally molested it for all it's worth, we'll move on. :)

I'm going to try to start on my lunch break...
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

so do we use this thread to discuss chapter by chapter or did I totally misunderstand your (cunning) plan ?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

No, in that chapter in the Reading Group: Dune - Chapter 01
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Y'all can start commenting any time you want. I my revise my summaries as I read.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:No, in that chapter in the Reading Group: Dune - Chapter 01
ts'what I tought but I was not sure if we'd start from scratch or not :)

Ok thnaks for that, II was rereading Dune Messiah but I don't mind going back a step
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Aw... Big Fat Bacon Boy pretending to be a real Dune fan now? How sweet! :laughing-rolling:
lotek

Post by lotek »

was wondering when you'd show up :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The last two chapters of Dune have been renumbered (thanks Rymoah!).

I think all the chapters are there and numbered correctly now.

And there was much rejoicing.

:dance:

Y'all please point out spelling/gramar mistakes if you notice them, or anything important I've left out.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:The last two chapters of Dune have been renumbered (thanks Rymoah!).

Y'all please point out spelling/gramar mistakes if you notice them, or anything important I've left out.
Do the read-only copies at T(A)U need updating?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:The last two chapters of Dune have been renumbered (thanks Rymoah!).

Yes, but I'm doing another read-thru now, revising as I go. I'll transfer them a book at a time as I polish them a little.

Is there a way to copy those without me cut-and-pasting from one forum to another?
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

Yes, but I'm doing another read-thru now, revising as I go. I'll transfer them a book at a time as I polish them a little.

Is there a way to copy those without me cut-and-pasting from one forum to another?
Not really. Shouldn't present a problem if you have two windows open with one site loaded in each. I can help too if you want to divvy the work up.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That's OK, I just thought there might be an easy way to copy whole topics from forum to forum.

I should know that nothing worthwhile is easy. :D
~Pink Snowman
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

You're welcome ;)
Freakzilla wrote:Is there a way to copy those without me cut-and-pasting from one forum to another?
Well, since the software used by Jacurutu and T(A)U is the same (phpBB), there is a way to do it without cut and paste. You should dump the database rows relative to the threads of the reading group on Jacurutu and import them in T(A)U database, but I definitely wouldn't advise you to do it (I have already done something similar on DuneItalia after a big upgrade made an entire subforum disappear, and it was literally a pain in the ass :D ). So yes, as Omphalos said, it's better cut and paste.

Rymoah
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Rymoah wrote:
You're welcome ;)
Freakzilla wrote:Is there a way to copy those without me cut-and-pasting from one forum to another?
Well, since the software used by Jacurutu and T(A)U is the same (phpBB), there is a way to do it without cut and paste. You should dump the database rows relative to the threads of the reading group on Jacurutu and import them in T(A)U database, but I definitely wouldn't advise you to do it (I have already done something similar on DuneItalia after a big upgrade made an entire subforum disappear, and it was literally a pain in the ass :D ). So yes, as Omphalos said, it's better cut and paste.

Rymoah
I cannot imagine what a huge pain in the ass that must have been. But I will say that the Jacurutu db is over 335 megs, so it'd be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'll just copy and past, not that big a deal.

:D

I need to read the series again, anyway. Right fellas? :oops:
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Rymoah wrote: ... (I have already done something similar on DuneItalia after a big upgrade made an entire subforum disappear, and it was literally a pain in the ass :D ).
Do you really mean "literally"? 'Cause that would be a bummer. :)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

If I lost one of my reading group forums... someone's ass would be hurting.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Probably mine.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

There's a jar of sandy vasoline on my dresser, now. It seems to be my turn over the barrel.
~Pink Snowman