Calling out Byron "the coward" Merritt

Image
    What Not To Post

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 08 Jun 2008 04:59

Not I... I plan to run with what you came up with though. It has the strength to become a real term.
Image

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 08 Jun 2008 04:59

:lol:

McDune

Can any of the resident photoshop experts do something with this :D
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 08 Jun 2008 05:07

I was just wondering what the score is between the banning of OH'ers and prequelites. I can not remember any prequelite ever be banned but know of many OH'ers that have been.

What can we deduct in this regard about the OH'ers character?

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 08 Jun 2008 05:11

That we're assholes in some people's eyes, good samaritans in other's.
Image

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 08 Jun 2008 05:20

SandChigger wrote:What's the atrocities/McDonalds comparison? That sounds kinda interesting....


(Did Kevin remove the comment, too? I looked just now but didn't see it on the blog. On his main page then? Nice. ;) )


The question I have been repeating is the comment made by Frank to baby brian about Paul being born on Caladan therefore naming his boat Caladan.

On his own forum byron now claims that the notes make clear that comb-over is right about moving Paul's birth planet to Kaitain and that comparing the comment by Frank made to brian in real life with what he wrote in Dune is a false comparison ... of course also the line that Paul was born on Caladan in Dune was false.

I guess Frank named his boat Caladan for the wrong reason.

It took byron and comb-over seven years to come up with this excuse.

I can not find any argument that counters byron's and comb-over's opinion: Frank was a lousy writer and lied to his son, but we will set the record straight!


On his blog I also asked comb-over about this but was removed as a friend immediately after that.

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 08 Jun 2008 05:44

Serkanner wrote:
SandChigger wrote:What's the atrocities/McDonalds comparison? That sounds kinda interesting....


(Did Kevin remove the comment, too? I looked just now but didn't see it on the blog. On his main page then? Nice. ;) )


The question I have been repeating is the comment made by Frank to baby brian about Paul being born on Caladan therefore naming his boat Caladan.

On his own forum byron now claims that the notes make clear that comb-over is right about moving Paul's birth planet to Kaitain and that comparing the comment by Frank made to brian in real life with what he wrote in Dune is a false comparison ... of course also the line that Paul was born on Caladan in Dune was false.

I guess Frank named his boat Caladan for the wrong reason.

It took byron and comb-over seven years to come up with this excuse.

I can not find any argument that counters byron's and comb-over's opinion: Frank was a lousy writer and lied to his son, but we will set the record straight!


On his blog I also asked comb-over about this but was removed as a friend immediately after that.


Gotta watch out for Byron's finely honed RN rhetorical skills :wink:

Last month, Byron was claiming the high ground because he had spent many a Thanksgiving with Frank.

So, now we are to believe that such a setting, when Frank explains about the naming of his boat to Brian, is no longer valid?

Which is it Byron???
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Jun 2008 07:20

Every time you call someone a bad name, a kitten masturbates. :(
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby Simon » 08 Jun 2008 07:25

I know you guys aren't bad people but I have to call foul here.

Family is right out. Brian, KJA, Byron, and Kim are the HLP public face (clearly) and you can bash the writing, the marketing, whatever but leave the personal attacks at home.

If I talked shit about any of your kids and you could do something, you would, any one of us would.

And what's all this about Byron being "fair and balanced" Serk? He's a member of the HLP, his Grandfather was Frank Herbert, his uncle is Brian Herbert, he's an admitted fan of all things Dune, and he has the power to delete your ass. What did you think was going to happen. I'm pretty fucking sure that they didn't set up the official board to let people bash them.

Oh let me guess, I'm a prick and a fanboy because I think some of you are way the fuck out of line some time and am defending them. :roll: O.K

Maybe I'll sign up at StarWars.com and start blogging about George Lucas that his family sucks because I thought Attack of the Clones was terrible. I wonder how long that will last :?

Idiocy.

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 08 Jun 2008 07:52

Simon wrote:I know you guys aren't bad people but I have to call foul here.

Family is right out. Brian, KJA, Byron, and Kim are the HLP public face (clearly) and you can bash the writing, the marketing, whatever but leave the personal attacks at home.

If I talked shit about any of your kids and you could do something, you would, any one of us would.

And what's all this about Byron being "fair and balanced" Serk? He's a member of the HLP, his Grandfather was Frank Herbert, his uncle is Brian Herbert, he's an admitted fan of all things Dune, and he has the power to delete your ass. What did you think was going to happen. I'm pretty fucking sure that they didn't set up the official board to let people bash them.

Oh let me guess, I'm a prick and a fanboy because I think some of you are way the fuck out of line some time and am defending them. :roll: O.K

Maybe I'll sign up at StarWars.com and start blogging about George Lucas that his family sucks because I thought Attack of the Clones was terrible. I wonder how long that will last :?

Idiocy.


Lets just say that you last message after I was banned shows how you think about me ... so you are correct that I think you are a prick.

AGAIN: I didn't target Byron's children I just mentioned he needs to defend the atrocities because he has to pay for their college.

Byron is the one claiming to be objective Simeon. I stated the exact opposite didn't I?

Where on the suck-up boards did I say any thing personal about any of his family members? I called Byron a coward because he hides behind his ban button and uses it every time he is cornered when arguments against one of his money sources is targerted.

He should therefore state in a welcoming message of the board that you are only allowed to discuss Dune when you agree with his opinion about the atrocities. If not you will be banned.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Jun 2008 07:52

What did he say about Byron's kids? All I can gather is something about the new books paying for their college?

That isn't really about his kids, is it?

I dissapprove of namecalling here. It makes us look immature and doesn't help our cause.

If you have a personal gripe with another member here I'd prefer you all do it in PM.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Jun 2008 07:55

Serkanner wrote:He should therefore state in a welcoming message of the board that you are only allowed to discuss Dune when you agree with his opinion about the atrocities. If not you will be banned.


That's not true at all. It's the way you present your opinion. I'm not saying he was right in banning you, not that he needs a reason, just that many people, including me, do voice their negative opinions of the new books there.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 08 Jun 2008 08:21

Freakzilla wrote:
Serkanner wrote:He should therefore state in a welcoming message of the board that you are only allowed to discuss Dune when you agree with his opinion about the atrocities. If not you will be banned.


That's not true at all. It's the way you present your opinion. I'm not saying he was right in banning you, not that he needs a reason, just that many people, including me, do voice their negative opinions of the new books there.


You are right. I wrote that in anger.

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3289
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Postby Nekhrun » 08 Jun 2008 08:26

Simon wrote:I know you guys aren't bad people but I have to call foul here.

Family is right out. Brian, KJA, Byron, and Kim are the HLP public face (clearly) and you can bash the writing, the marketing, whatever but leave the personal attacks at home.

If I talked shit about any of your kids and you could do something, you would, any one of us would.

Bullshit. I work in a setting where this happens to our staff all the time. When knew that though when we took the job. They knew that when they let kja into their happy little family.

Simon wrote:And what's all this about Byron being "fair and balanced" Serk? He's a member of the HLP, his Grandfather was Frank Herbert, his uncle is Brian Herbert, he's an admitted fan of all things Dune, and he has the power to delete your ass.

He said that about himself!

Simon wrote:Maybe I'll sign up at StarWars.com and start blogging about George Lucas that his family sucks because I thought Attack of the Clones was terrible. I wonder how long that will last :?

Nah, I don't think you'd like it there because they hate kja too.

Simon wrote:Idiocy.
:roll:

User avatar
Mr. Teg
Moderator
Posts: 699
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 10:14
Location: Chair
Contact:

Postby Mr. Teg » 08 Jun 2008 08:44

Simon wrote:Maybe I'll sign up at StarWars.com and start blogging about George Lucas that his family sucks because I thought Attack of the Clones was terrible. I wonder how long that will last :?


1) Don't recall Lucas claiming he created Attack of the Clones based on lost scripts found in a safety box.

2) You keep claiming they are a biz so too bad. You're overlooking that the other half of the biz. Consumers. The fact they formed a business partnership doesn't mean they are not responible for the products they market.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron Image The HLP

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 08 Jun 2008 09:31

WTF? Mentioning that Byron might be using some of his share of the loot to pay for tuition is attacking his kids? That's fucking stupid.

He's using it to pay for that pricey new house in Monterey! Gee, Serkanner, don't you know ANYTHING?! :P

Back when I was still holding out some hope that Byron was more of real person and not just a mouthpiece for a comb-over and a curly perm, I suggested a few times that he might just be going along so that his kids could one day have their cut of the pie. I guess that was attacking them, too, huh? :roll:

Hmmm...maybe someday when Uncle Brian has passed on Uncle Kevin will actually let Byron write a Dune short story or...or...whoa, maybe even...WORK TOGETHER WITH HIM on the Duncan of Dune decalogy!

That'll be sweet!
I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA

User avatar
Tleszer
Posts: 2161
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:02

Postby Tleszer » 08 Jun 2008 09:55

SandChigger wrote:Hmmm...maybe someday when Uncle Brian has passed on Uncle Kevin will actually let Byron write a Dune short story or...or...whoa, maybe even...WORK TOGETHER WITH HIM on the Duncan of Dune decalogy!

That'll be sweet!


It'll be revealed that the Duncan raised on Giedi Prime was actually a ghola of Steven Idaho, Duncan's younger brother (raised as Duncan after Duncan changed his name to Paprika and joined a traveling circus).
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie

User avatar
Bijaz
Posts: 153
Joined: 12 Apr 2008 08:33

Postby Bijaz » 08 Jun 2008 10:00

SandChigger wrote:Hmmm...maybe someday when Uncle Brian has passed on Uncle Kevin will actually let Byron write a Dune short story or...or...whoa, maybe even...WORK TOGETHER WITH HIM on the Duncan of Dune decalogy!
!


One year ago I would've laughed...now...I can believe they may actually create another series based on the lives of Duncan.

User avatar
orald
Posts: 3010
Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital
Contact:

Postby orald » 08 Jun 2008 12:19

Duncan. Duncan. Duncan. A million novels were not enough for Duncan.

Or they could write about the million different deaths that await Yueh...I'm sure KJA will be thrilled! :D
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Jun 2008 16:52

I guess my comment on the McDune metaphore at DN got deleted. :cry:

So here it is... :D

I don't think it's accurate.

McDonalds may not be fine cuisine or even good for you but at least it tastes good and is satisfying.

If you compared the new Dune books to eating something that made you want to vomit and left you feeling empty inside, that would be more accurate.

:puke:
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Spice Grandson
Posts: 87
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:46
Location: California Central Coast
Contact:

Postby Spice Grandson » 08 Jun 2008 16:56

Serkanner,

I guess I'd ask you why you felt the need to include my children in any commentary related to our discussions. They're not HLP members and have nothing to do with the Dune material other than they are my kids. You could've easily have said something like "Byron's saving up to buy a new car," or "Byron's helping Brian buy a new mansion." But instead, you chose to drop to the lowest level and I think we both know why.

I would also ask that anyone who claims that I've called them names to please show me where I've done this.

Freak: Are you really that surprised that your outlandish comment got deleted? Really?

EDIT: And I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know how to fully interact with people. I'll let the commentary here speak for itself. And if you think that's calling someone names, then my point is made all the more.
Last edited by Spice Grandson on 08 Jun 2008 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 08 Jun 2008 16:57

Freakzilla wrote:I guess my comment on the McDune metaphore at DN got deleted. :cry:

So here it is... :D

I don't think it's accurate.

McDonalds may not be fine cuisine or even good for you but at least it tastes good and is satisfying.

If you compared the new Dune books to eating something that made you want to vomit and left you feeling empty inside, that would be more accurate.

:puke:


Aren't you banned yet?

Of course not; you forgot to include that his children benefit more from McDune then from McDonalds.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Jun 2008 17:18

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I guess my comment on the McDune metaphore at DN got deleted. :cry:

So here it is... :D

I don't think it's accurate.

McDonalds may not be fine cuisine or even good for you but at least it tastes good and is satisfying.

If you compared the new Dune books to eating something that made you want to vomit and left you feeling empty inside, that would be more accurate.

:puke:


Aren't you banned yet?

Of course not; you forgot to include that his children benefit more from McDune then from McDonalds.


Yeah, you have to draw the line somewhere.

I wanted to say that Dune is like a fine Gumbo, New Dune is like a turd in a bowl of saltwater... but if you tell people it's gumbo people will buy it.

But I didn't.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Postby Serkanner » 08 Jun 2008 17:51

A missed opportunity :lol: ... I will not hold it against you though.

I myself feel kind of free now dunenovels is deleted from the list of daily visits ... more time for real porn now.

User avatar
Mandy
Cat Herder
Posts: 1700
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18
Contact:

Postby Mandy » 08 Jun 2008 18:22

How is paying for college tuition "the lowest level?" I think he could have gone much lower.

Oh, and we know it's only outlandish if the comment isn't favorable towards the new crap.

User avatar
Spice Grandson
Posts: 87
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:46
Location: California Central Coast
Contact:

Postby Spice Grandson » 08 Jun 2008 18:44

Mandy wrote: it's only outlandish if the comment isn't favorable towards the new crap.


My point about Jacurutu made again. Thanks.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.



ImageImage



http://www.filmreviewstew.com


Return to “˲”