The HeavenMakers with changes by Frank Herbert?

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Phaedrus

The HeavenMakers with changes by Frank Herbert?

Post by Phaedrus »

I've read this book before, but I recently picked up another copy in a used book store.

On the first page, there's a promotion/summary, and at the bottom, a box with a Publisher's Note.
This novel was originally published in 1968. In the intervening years the author has found portions of the novel which he believed could be improved; and so, he has rewritten these sections for this edition.
So now, I'm going to track down my other copy(I'm not sure if it also contains the changes or not) or another one, and try to find the changes. Anyone interested in the results?
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: The HeavenMakers with changes by Frank Herbert?

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Phaedrus wrote:I've read this book before, but I recently picked up another copy in a used book store.

On the first page, there's a promotion/summary, and at the bottom, a box with a Publisher's Note.
This novel was originally published in 1968. In the intervening years the author has found portions of the novel which he believed could be improved; and so, he has rewritten these sections for this edition.
So now, I'm going to track down my other copy(I'm not sure if it also contains the changes or not) or another one, and try to find the changes. Anyone interested in the results?
Sure. Also, there were some major re-writes to D:V, I'm trying to track down an original of that one too.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

As long as it doesn't say: "These changes were provided by Mr. Herbert's spineless son and a leech called KJA who has totally pwn3d the Herbert Estate." :shock:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Phaedrus wrote:I've read this book before, but I recently picked up another copy in a used book store.

I am. I'm sure it can't be any worse than the original...right?
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

TheDukester wrote:As long as it doesn't say: "These changes were provided by Mr. Herbert's spineless son and a leech called KJA who has totally pwn3d the Herbert Estate." :shock:
Nope, Copyright 1968, 1977 by Frank Herbert.

Just noticed on the copyright page:
A somewhat different version of this novel was serialized in the April and June 1967 issues of Amazing Stories
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

In another post I said that I picked up a copy of The Heaven Makers. This copy that I found was published in 19670. There are no notes or mention in the book that it has been re-edited or parts changed by FH.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Laphtiya wrote:This copy that I found was published in 19670.

:shock:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's the special solido edition put out by that Tupali publisher, right? I forget their name....

:P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Runninfromdaman Publications.

Editor-in-chief: Willie Makeit
Secretary: Betty Wont

:P

Now go to bed, Bug!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

LOL thats bad editing on my part. 1970 was the year.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Nekhrun wrote:I'm sure it can't be any worse than the original...right?
What are you saying? You think this book was bad? I finished this book last week and I thought it was one of the better non-Dune books by Frank Herbert I've read. Certainly more engaging than the White Plague or the Green Brain.
Too bad the dutch title gave away the ending though:
The Death of an Immortal
. Idiot translator.
Oh well, I'm off reading Whipping Star now.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

dunaddict wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:I'm sure it can't be any worse than the original...right?
What are you saying? You think this book was bad? I finished this book last week and I thought it was one of the better non-Dune books by Frank Herbert I've read. Certainly more engaging than the White Plague or the Green Brain.
I thought it read like a fairly simple story, not quite what I'm used to from FH. It didn't really do anything for me, nor did it make me think of anything in a new or interesting way. It was somewhat entertaining. I haven't read White Plague, but so far I'd put The Green Brain at the bottom of my list as far as FH books go.
dunaddict wrote:Oh well, I'm off reading Whipping Star now.
That one I liked. :wink: It might be time for a re-read.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Maybe you thought it was a simple story because it was a bit short?
I liked the build up when the main character slowly realizes something is wrong in the world, while the reader knows exactly what "they" are up to.

This dutch copy of mine has a very weird cardboard 'epilogue' glued to the back-cover, describing what happened after the last page. Is this the same in the original?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

The 1970 NEL edition has an Epilogue.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -