The Dragon In the Sea

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

The Dragon In the Sea

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I just found a first edition, first printing copy of this. Very cool vintage book, super cheap dust cover, the printing doesn't even come close to lining up with the edges of the book.
For those who don't know, this was FH's first full length novel, it has been re-released as "twentyfirst century submarine" and "under pressure", please correct me if I'm wrong.
Can't wait to start reading it.
orald

Post by orald »

Never heard of it being called "twentyfirst century submarine". :o

I read it maybe a year back from a copy my neighboor had, from the 80's I think. I think it was titled Under Pressure.

It's a nice book to read, but I can't say there's anything special about it byond being written by the Prophet.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
A Thing of Eternity

I've read a chapter or two that were included in the book of Frank Herbert (I think, maybe another collection) and it was pretty dry. I mostly bought it for the sentiment, I might put off reading it until I've exhausted his other work.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Twenty-First Century Sub was the Avon book club name. It was only called that in one edition.

http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... ews/info/4

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Good to know, I just ran across it once whilst used book hunting.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

This title, and other non-Dune works by FH, are beginning to appear at audiobook sites such as Audible.com and iTunes. I have enough free credits built up at Audible that I'm willing to take a chance on a title now and then, so I'm wondering if I should give a new FH book a try. Any thoughts? (especially on what the best non-Dune book to try might be).

My one experience with FH's non-Dune works was White Plague. It didn't hold my interest until the end, although it wasn't terrible or anything like that. But it didn't set my world on fire.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

TheDukester wrote:This title, and other non-Dune works by FH, are beginning to appear at audiobook sites such as Audible.com and iTunes. I have enough free credits built up at Audible that I'm willing to take a chance on a title now and then, so I'm wondering if I should give a new FH book a try. Any thoughts? (especially on what the best non-Dune book to try might be).

My one experience with FH's non-Dune works was White Plague. It didn't hold my interest until the end, although it wasn't terrible or anything like that. But it didn't set my world on fire.
Read the Jesus Incident, and the rest of the Pandora Saga, which FH co-authored with poet Bill Ransom. I wouldn't bother with audiobook on this one, just go buy it and read it, it's wonderful. You could read Desination:Void first, as it is the first book in the series... but it's kind of a book on it's own in my opinion, and it's pretty bizarre, might turn you off and keep you away from the other three books (only the last 3 books were co-written by Bill, D:V was FH solo). I read D:V after TJI and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than I would have if I'd read it first.
orald

Post by orald »

^^^ What he said.

Only I would never call D:V "bizzare"(infidel! :x ).
If anything, TJI is way more bizzare, what with talking seaweed and animals and all. D:V is a must read(or hear?).
D:V has a little of a 2001: A Space Oddyssy feel to it IMO, but way "heavier".

The Jorj X. Mackie stories(Whipping Star and even better yet, The Dosadi Experiment) are also recommended. There's also the short story The Tactful Saboteur which I'd recommend reading before WS and TDE(in that order by the way) as it sets up the Mackie character and universe(the ConSentiency).

Oh, and the book discussed in this thread is also OK, maybe it'd be better in audio.

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I agree with Orald, The Jesus Incident was extremely bizzare and turned me off to the series.

Destination: Void, while chock full of technobable, I thought was outstanding.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Freak, maybe it was just the sudden changes? I've started reading The Ascention Factor a long time ago and still haven't continued byond a few chapters...I blame it on being on my PC. I can't read much that way.

A Thing of Eternity

orald wrote:^^^ What he said.

Only I would never call D:V "bizzare"(infidel! :x ).
If anything, TJI is way more bizzare, what with talking seaweed and animals and all. D:V is a must read(or hear?).
D:V has a little of a 2001: A Space Oddyssy feel to it IMO, but way "heavier".

The Jorj X. Mackie stories(Whipping Star and even better yet, The Dosadi Experiment) are also recommended. There's also the short story The Tactful Saboteur which I'd recommend reading before WS and TDE(in that order by the way) as it sets up the Mackie character and universe(the ConSentiency).

Oh, and the book discussed in this thread is also OK, maybe it'd be better in audio.
I'm sticking by bizarre for D:V, though TJI is certainly strange too. D:V is just more... tedious and might throw off someone new to the series. Definitly a must read though, I loved it, but I think I might not have loved it if I'd read it first.

Also, yes the McKie books are killer.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You mean between books? Could be.

I can't blame it on the electronic format, I mainly read that way.

D:V was more of a technically electrical/mechanical/physical book where TJI was more of a biological/psychological book. I just found the first more interesting personally.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I agree with Orald, The Jesus Incident was extremely bizzare and turned me off to the series.

Really? Hmmm. TJI was the first non-dune book I ever read by FH (except for man of two worlds, which I read when I was a little kid and didn't even realize it was the same guy until a year or so ago) and I loved it, not quite as much as Dune, but pretty darn close.

I'll agree on D:V though, lots of technobabble but outstanding despite of (or because of) this.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

If I would have to pick a favourite next to Dune I would also pick Destionation: Void. Fantastic story and greatly followed-up by The Jesus Incident which I also like a lot.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

The whole pandora series (which I think includes D:V) is by far the best series FH wrote. I was confused for most of TJI but I really enjoyed it once I realized what was going on.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Dune Nerd wrote:The whole pandora series (which I think includes D:V) is by far the best series FH wrote. I was confused for most of TJI but I really enjoyed it once I realized what was going on.
Greater than Dune? Blasphemer!
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Phaedrus wrote:
Dune Nerd wrote:The whole pandora series (which I think includes D:V) is by far the best series FH wrote. I was confused for most of TJI but I really enjoyed it once I realized what was going on.
Greater than Dune? Blasphemer!
Sorry sleep deprivation, I did mean besides Dune, I can't believe you didn't read my mind on that one. :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

He must have been half asleep and channeling a certain Israeli.... ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Some American ass will be channeling a Nerve Runner next time he goes to lecture his English class. :evil:

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote:He must have been half asleep and channeling a certain Israeli.... ;)
Entirely possible...did I mention how much I hate Edric? :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Phaedrus wrote:
SandChigger wrote:He must have been half asleep and channeling a certain Israeli.... ;)
Entirely possible...did I mention how much I hate Edric? :wink:
If you'd compared him to Hitler I may have believed you. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald wrote:Some American ass will be channeling a Nerve Runner next time he goes to lecture his English class. :evil:
Ha, I knew you'd eventually get desperate enough to go after even my old ass! :P

(Oh, by the way: pump pump pump!)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Freakzilla wrote:I agree with Orald, The Jesus Incident was extremely bizzare and turned me off to the series.

My reaction as well...

Frank's views on artificial intelligence is in an entirely different league compared to Pinky & the Brain.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
mrpsbrk

Re: The Dragon In the Sea

Post by mrpsbrk »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I just found a first edition, first printing copy of this. Very cool vintage book, super cheap dust cover, the printing doesn't even come close to lining up with the edges of the book.
For those who don't know, this was FH's first full length novel, it has been re-released as "twentyfirst century submarine" and "under pressure", please correct me if I'm wrong.
Can't wait to start reading it.
I've had one of those oldies too, but gave it as a gift to a good friend. I don't suppose he read... It's hard to find faithful people these days ;-)

I... well, it's been a while since i read that, but i think the whole "in flow while without balance" thing that is the theme of "Dragon in the Sea" hints very much to FH's future aims and beliefs... I think it is a very interesting book to get to know the guy -- even if some of it might reveal a certain lack of experience, this is also very revealing.

And to me the sub's captain's whole religion-of-the-ocean thing very much presages Odrade's peace-finding sea bathing.
Marcio (mrpsbrk) does believe in Lord Leto over all other wills and reasons ;-)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

errrr?? Yes. Buy it NOW.