busab - secret handshake

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

distrans

busab - secret handshake

Post by distrans »

a position gets set in stone as you author work whos reference most often belies the thought occuring post that which made the note in the first place

particularly of irritant when the original work indemnified the direction the thought was headed in the first place...

its been years now but i knew of a particular department of software development wherein a critical understanding of what need there was to sabatage certain types of progress was essential to the aim of the division

i cannot acknowledge franks mastery of form without recognizing that he was alluding to altogether higher understandings than his advocates have been unable to innumerate to date

i suggest that frank wished to impart on the future a specific information that has yet to be idemnified
georgiedenbro

Re: busab - secret handshake

Post by georgiedenbro »

If I'm reading that correctly, do you mean that Frank's text will eventually be understood by someone equipped for it, like a secret handshake? Is this analogous to Leto II's writings in Sietch Tabr, meant for the Bene Gesserit?
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
distrans

Post by distrans »

a remarkable occurrence that was no doubt,
i still recall the chills i got when reading it the first time

no, I wasn't thinking like that

more that he had assimilated some downright tretcherous understandings about capitalisms effect on humanity and from the perspective they open i dont think he merely wished to entertain us

i think he boiled those that he had down to bare essentials that he mingled into a style of narative which showed the best chances of remaining cogent for the longest period of time he though he had the ability to influence
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

So you mean that he's right about certain things and that it's not just a story? Well he did say in interviews that Dune was a work of "prediction" rather than fiction, so I do think he intended it to be a statement both about how things are now and where they'll likely go.

What do you mean by "secret handshake", though?
distrans

Post by distrans »

i was thinking of god makers and how the protagonist was assumed to still be an insider of the powerful family he had fled as a youth...

nowhere do the powerful act in lockset more than in the suppression of upstart forces poised to gain the rank at which they can compete among the powerful

advancement is always subject to hierarchical treatment
respect for rules both on and off the books

and doormen are tipped all the more when they demonstrate the ability to properly prioritized just whom gets their best service

the children of the powerful are taught at early age to understand just which social norms are to be skoffed at as the controls of the lower classes that they are

that they are illistration of folks who deserve the subjugation their treatment is

i cant quote it exactly but a good criticism of democracy going back a couple thousand years at least shows the progression of powers control by different actors in society and that democracy needs strick control soas to retard its inevitable lead to idiotcracy and the tyrannys which result

i think that a combination of intellect and disrespect for authority aided frank in stumbling into a realization of some of the understandings which power holds dear and knew only to encapsulate them in epic story telling

the manner in which he did this left him free from powers criticism as they are busy confronting major threats
theres just no army franks work every had a chance of reaching no matter the power of his perspective

begging the question as to why he did it

the story doesnt rely on these snippets
what was he aiming at by their inclusion?
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

distrans wrote: the story doesnt rely on these snippets
what was he aiming at by their inclusion?
Personally, I believe his stories are primarily about political philosophy.
distrans

Post by distrans »

true,
but he didn't just reshuffle the chairs of these disiplines so to speak

he introduced propositions and insights which destabilize traditional philosophy and politics before making his points

as if the new light shed on the subject was more important than the conclusion he drew from having it

just finished messiah so one of scytales statements is fresh in my memory

it was early in the book, the council of plotters where edric had just acknowledged being taught a painful lesion

"the realm has more than one coin thus the law of supply and demand fails!"

a non-obvious assertion which is never returned to

sort of like an epitath
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Interesting observation. I'll have to look our for that quote next time I read it. The Scytale scenes are among my favorites in the entire series.
distrans

Post by distrans »

he really owns that book
his surprised outcry when paul orders him killed is the most heartfelt exclaimation of the book...