The Santarroga Barrier

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Leto

The Santarroga Barrier

Post by Leto »

This FH's book is very interssant because it isn't a Sci-Fi novel.
It is between fantasy (I think :?) and thriller (I'm sure :D ). The themes related in Sabtarroga are quite close to Dune's one : it is about drugs (Jaspe, the local Spice) and humanity and consciousness.

I advise it to you!
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
orald

Post by orald »

I haven't read it yet(well, a new d/l will start soon :P ), but the Wiki' article strongly suggests it's sci-fi, and I see no problem about it.

We've just had a thread opened that also deals with what makes sci-fi.
Sci-fi isn't just robotic bears shooting lasers out of their eyes, though it'd be damn cool if it did. 8) :P
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The Santaroga Barrier is a wonderful wee book touching upon a few of Frank Herbert’s favourite themes of hive mentality/group consciousness, alienation and longing to belong. A must read, it’s hard to believe that it was published 40 years ago it still feels so fresh, unlike the cheese. :)
orald

Post by orald »

I've just downloaded it yesterday, but it'll be some time before I read it.

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

inhuien wrote:The Santaroga Barrier is a wonderful wee book touching upon a few of Frank Herbert’s favourite themes of hive mentality/group consciousness, alienation and longing to belong. A must read, it’s hard to believe that it was published 40 years ago it still feels so fresh, unlike the cheese. :)
A great read.

I'll give a brief recap with no spoilers.

Santaroga Valley is a region of CA, and is a "barrier" to normal business because the region is almost self-sufficient. No McDonalds, no Walmarts. No outside businesses exist. Major corporations can't figure out how to penetrate the local markets, and have huge issues with buying land to build.

So a psychologist is hired to study the area, and before he goes there, he is informed that the last 2 investigators sent died of apparent accidental deaths.

Now add mind altering/expanding "jaspers", and you have a great story. Must read obv.
orald

Post by orald »

In short, druggies(i.e the town/region's inhabitants) kill people. :)

HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

orald wrote:In short, druggies(i.e the town/region's inhabitants) kill people. :)
In FH's style, how does a small (40K) community keep the world's biggest secret, secret? There are a few holes in the outline, but the story is excellent.

I'm surprised this wasn't picked up for a movie screenplay.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

HoosierDaddy wrote:
orald wrote:In short, druggies(i.e the town/region's inhabitants) kill people. :)
In FH's style, how does a small (40K) community keep the world's biggest secret, secret? There are a few holes in the outline, but the story is excellent.

I'm surprised this wasn't picked up for a movie screenplay.
Im pretty sure its been optioned. If anyone has IMDB pro, maybe you can check for us.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Speaking of movie adaptations, with the success of SW and ST(contaning humans and lots of aliens) and various "detective" style movies, I'm surprised the ConSentiency hasn't been made into a movie yet.

I'm quite sure I've said that twice or thrice... :?

Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

I've always wondered if Jaspers was some sort of alien growth or a native Earth fungus. Any ideas...
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Spice Grandson wrote:I've always wondered if Jaspers was some sort of alien growth or a native Earth fungus. Any ideas...
I never got the impression that the fungus was alien. The feeling I got was modern day technology "discovered" it, and by nature, the first people to come under its influence were reluctant to share it with the rest of society.
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

HoosierDaddy wrote:
Spice Grandson wrote:I've always wondered if Jaspers was some sort of alien growth or a native Earth fungus. Any ideas...
I never got the impression that the fungus was alien. The feeling I got was modern day technology "discovered" it, and by nature, the first people to come under its influence were reluctant to share it with the rest of society.
It just seemed like an alien substance to me.

SPOILER ALERT...

When it was discovered that everyone in the town had a type of psychic/hive mind collective that operated almost independently (especially during the multiple "accidents" that almost occurred to Daisen), it seemed very un-Earth-like.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

You mean, after spending all those Thanksgivings with Frank you don't know ! :roll:

(Ole'Spice Pussy posted awhile back that he spent many a Thanksgiving with Frank, so he knows more about Dune than we do. Anyway, just picked up the book at the local used book store and finished reading.)

Btw, Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

In absentia of the wee green men I say that it's native Earth/
Schu

Post by Schu »

Me favourite behind the dunes and the white plague :) Could be made into a very cool hitchcockian film.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Schu wrote:Could be made into a very cool hitchcockian film.
Aye perhaps it could, but there's a snowballs chance of that one happening.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SPAM ALERT ABOVE, WOW GOLD lol
~
What is great about this book is that, at first it seems like a utopian society with no flaws. Its perfect, in till you look under the surface. Classic FH style, everything looks perfect, and as soon as you go to lift up something to look under it, you find the cinders of hell. Love this book.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SwordMaster wrote:SPAM ALERT ABOVE, WOW GOLD lol
~
What is great about this book is that, at first it seems like a utopian society with no flaws. Its perfect, in till you look under the surface. Classic FH style, everything looks perfect, and as soon as you go to lift up something to look under it, you find the cinders of hell. Love this book.
Nuked him. He gone!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ford4D

Re:

Post by Ford4D »

HoosierDaddy wrote:I'm surprised this wasn't picked up for a movie screenplay.
^ THIS! ^

It's shocking that Hollywood or the Herbert estate haven't cashed in on this yet.

A few years ago, this would have been a fine candidate for an M. Night Shyamalan film.
(From what I understand, his clout or bank-ability is not what it used to be.)
Haven't read either of the Dune 7 books yet, so please don't spoil any details for me!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: The Santarroga Barrier

Post by Freakzilla »

They would have to read the books to know which ones would make good movies. :roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Freakzilla wrote:They would have to read the books to know which ones would make good movies. :roll:
Or hire a consultant to do that for them. I am sure the Herbert estate knows one... :-)
trang

Post by trang »

hollywood read books??

Those words don't go in the same sentence.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."