Other Thoughts by Frank Herbert

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mr. Teg

Other Thoughts by Frank Herbert

Post by Mr. Teg »

I just read the interview in Mother Earth News in the previous thread (thought better to separate from the New Wave thread).

Anyone have any experience with homesteading?
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Other Thoughts by Frank Herbert

Post by SandRider »

just a tad ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Like what? Wash boards, solar?
CHOAM
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

washboards when I was a kid, yeah .... & river water ;
gotta lotta solar shit around the place now ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

washboard?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

a musical instrument strapped to the chest & played with spoons ...
ImageImage

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:a musical instrument strapped to the chest & played with spoons ...
I'm familiar with that, I thought it had something to do with homesteading.

:?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I practiced elder law and bankruptcy law for a bit in CA back when I had my own firm. I did some homesteads for people to protect assets from creditors. Doing that solidified a few vagueries in bankruptcy law when it came to keeping your residence from creditor's hands. But since the days that I practiced in that area, I believe the law has been changed to make the federal and state exemptions strong enough that homesteads are no longer needed. None of those were traditional homesteaders though. All of them were just folks who purchased land, then got upside down for one reason or another.

I also practice law in AK, in additon to a few other states in the west. I've run into some traditional homesteaders through that. All of them lived in really remote areas, few of which were accessable by road. If I remember correctly AK is the only state in the union that still manages it's homesteader program, as the remainder of the federal land in the lower 48 is destined to remain in federal hands.

But if you are talking about "livin' on the homestead" as opposed to a legal homestead, I play traditional music on mandolins, dulcimers and fiddles. Got me a pair 'a overalls and I'm looking to get me a derby cap too.
SandRider wrote:a musical instrument strapped to the chest & played with spoons ...
Originally it was a scrub board for doing laundry. These days they are used as instruments that are played with thimbles on the fingers.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omph, instead of a derby, try a Homburg, it has a bit more...panache.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

:text-yeahthat:
ImageImage

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I prefer the Oddball look.

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Omphalos wrote:I prefer the Oddball look.
For an authentic dash of style, I recommend a nice shirt and tie with your overalls. The older folks
all had that look when I was young, getting dressy. The preferred brand in those day was Duck Head
overalls and they usually went with a brown tie & white shirt.

Not sure what you're looking for Mr.Teg, hope you like this bit.
The most clever thing about the little house in Tennessee where I grew up was the milk box on the
back porch. The house was situated on a hollow, above the road and well below the spring. A concrete
spring box surrounded the springs outlet, keeping out salamanders and snails. Water was piped down
to the milk box on the where it flowed all the time. A plug in the bottom drain would fill it to the side
drain and we would keep milk, butter, and such in the cool spring water.

I've heard that there's still homesteadable land available out west somewhere, Wyoming or Montana.
Never looked in to it, figured it must be far removed from where anyone would want to be.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Don't forget to get yourself a vest, preferabbly one with four pockets.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Lookin sharp Robbo.

I am pretty sure that any land that is set aside for homesteads is through the BLM or the varoius states' Departments of Interior (or whatever the local state calls that division).

Also forgot to mention that My maternal great-great grandfather was a Sooner. I have his Oklahoma land grant patent framed in my hallway.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Perhaps during the next round of booksignings somebody should show up with a washboard and start playing to see if Brian goes into fits and seizures.
CHOAM
lotek

Post by lotek »

Make that a flying washboard for better results.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

Freakzilla wrote:
I'm familiar with that, I thought it had something to do with homesteading.

:?
It actually has to do with the prohibition to play certain type of instruments that gave birth to the washboard as a musical instrument. The Africans were prohibited from playing drums because the slave owners feared communication between slaves. Another example of how the African and other Americans were discriminated. Unbelievable!

I think, no I know, that this type of history is consistently ignored throughout the american society educational system. How could you not know this? Unbelievable! I could not find right now a link to prove this, but the prohibition of the drum playing is widely known. It was a PBT Public Channel Documentary I saw about how the spoons, washboards, and other instruments, were fashioned of everyday tools to circumvent the law against tne slaves playing musical instruments. Oh yeah, the slaves were allowed to sing. I guess that is nice. And we wonder why some African-Americans are recentful of Whitey. When you witness your mate being raped(by a white guy) and your children sold, in front of you, your spirit dies. This is what this wonderful people did to the Africans. My ancestors did it first, but I'm neither proud of that fact or strive to hide it and ignore it. The English in their jealosy of the Spanish Crown, hired pirates to attack and steal from Spain; they were called Bucaneers. We Latins are a little more direct than the hypocritical English. We steal. We do not hire thiefs. The treatment of women is another way the Romanized Germanic Tribes differ from the Barbaric English and other uncivilized Northern Tribes. Women have had property rights since the Visigothic Code was issued. Also, there is a marked difference between black people of the Caribbean and Latin America and those from the U.S.A. This difference in my opinion, is the historical knowledge that the Africans were allowed to have. The English, being of a Protestant nature, so different from the Roman Catholics, suppressed just about all knowledge from the Africans. The Spanish did too, but were not as mean as the English. The Latin slave holders, if anything, can be very cruel, just ask the Hatians how France did it in their country, but the Latins provided, in the style of the Holy Roman Empire, an inclusion in society. Providing education and religious services, along with some medical care. There is no history of lynchings and the like, hangings, or other mob viewing of slaves being hanged and/or defaced., but the U.S. history has nothing but. Oliver Stone is now realizing how he was cheated in school. Here, history is rigged. Again, the English. Hey, just listen to the hateful speech about African-Americans and of course, Mexicans. In the U. S., anyone who looks Latin, how can you look like a Latin? is a Mexican. We defined our selfs by our culture, not our lack of it, and the 5 Latin countries in the World are in Europe. Here is about color. It is so sad. There is so much ignorance and the educational system being rigged in favor of the master race and being responsible for this ignorances does not explains it all. There is a myth about being American. There are protest by Anglos, to generalized the american whites, whatever that may be, that when there is a manifestation, a parade, or any such event, that the flags of Mexico and other countries of the Spanish speaking kind are shown and not the U.S. flag. What is not mention is that the U. S. Flag is always in this events. Also not mentioned is the numerous communities of Germans, Irish, Italians, oops their Latins, but now they are Anglos, who have numerous events with nothing but Irish, Italian, and German flags. The Latins are never really going to be accepted in this Anglican, Protestant, Puritanical, oops it is fine for me to do it, but not you, society. You know there are Illegal Aliens among us? Hopefully time will pass, we will die, and our children will remember their daddy for what he is, not for what he is trying to appear to be. Kids see it all. They are the only ones with a pure heart, and then, some kids make me wonder. Who taught you this? Protestants kill in the name of G-d. Always citing Romans 13, the English with their Puritanical, holier than the Pope attitude, kill. Killing is killing. It cannot be justified. Just like in the old West, life is cheap here. The truth needs to be told. These instruments were invented by the black man, just like the real McCoy! Anyone knows what it is? Many inventions of the black man are attributed to others. The Real Mc Coy. All the train operators wanted it in their trains.

So when you again speak of how difficult some African Americans are, I understand, I see it, but please remember what We put them through, if not we, who? It never happenned? It did, and in the worst way and in this country it is taboo to acknowledge it. And to acknowledge that current living americans benefit from the contributions of slaves, white and black, contribution of our Mexican neighbors which have a country less than half its original size thanks to a war with, guess who? ! and to despicably address people as illegals, and worst, and to deny the contributions that even the country I was born in provided to the likes of George Washington and the rest of tne Revolutionaries, is just sad. The arrogance and divisions are deep.

Just sample the content of the Presidential Election. I think the white people in this country are afraid, yes very afraid that the minorities are going to reciprocate. I have hope, that one day, a little black boy and a little white girl will climb together to the mountain top of Humanity.
Last edited by Visigoth on 23 Nov 2012 05:41, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
lotek

Post by lotek »

Man your posts give me ADD...

You make sometimes interesting points but oh, the verbiage!

Also, http://bit.ly/Y8VsYK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ;)

(I must admit I didn't know about that drum thing though)
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

lotek wrote:Man your posts give me ADD...

I'm a high school drop out. People of my ethnicity have less chances to graduate from high school in the U.S.

I have a Ged. Equivalency diploma.

I have 3 years of college, but I did not do all my work in English lab.

I speak and write Spanish, but I' m probably better writing in English.

I also get emotional because the issues are so subtle and they area in front of my face everyday.
The idiocy going around is just too much for one heart to take. I like to respect everyone, even the worst. The beauty of this country is everyone may think what they like, but when history is denied, contributions of really good people are obscured by bigots, and is just hate for the sake of hate, minds that hate, I have to tell you brother, You can count me out! but in because I like the truth. This country was made for you and me!
ImageImageImage
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

lotek wrote:Make that a flying washboard for better results.
I had to google that one...
Can you imagine first Brian goes into a PTS fits just from hearing the "sounds" of washboards from his homesteading/bohemian youth back with dad then the damn things start flying around buzzing him!
CHOAM
lotek

Post by lotek »

Mr. Teg wrote:
lotek wrote:Make that a flying washboard for better results.
I had to google that one...
Can you imagine first Brian goes into a PTS fits just from hearing the "sounds" of washboards from his homesteading/bohemian youth back with dad then the damn things start flying around buzzing him!
Ha ha I just mentionned that as a joke, but the internet rule #1 "if you thought about it it already exists" hits a home run once again.

lotek

Post by lotek »

Visigoth wrote:

I'm a high school drop out. People of my ethnicity have less chances to graduate from high school in the U.S.

I have a Ged. Equivalency diploma.

I have 3 years of college, but I did not do all my work in English lab.

I speak and write Spanish, but I' m probably better writing in English.

I also get emotional because the issues are so subtle and they area in front of my face everyday.
The idiocy going around is just too much for one heart to take. I like to respect everyone, even the worst. The beauty of this country is everyone may think what they like, but when history is denied, contributions of really good people are obscured by bigots, and is just hate for the sake of hate, minds that hate, I have to tell you brother, You can count me out! but in because I like the truth. This country was made for you and me!
"I don't mind being called a liar when I am lying, when I am about to lie or just finished lying... but not when I am telling the truth."

Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

lotek wrote:
Visigoth wrote:

It is almost like smoking illegal herbs and weeds.

If you see a Proper name, you have to know about tnat to follow the rest.

I cannot believe you did not know about the drums. And it is like that...theres is so much hidden by perversion, f or perversion, and with per version. It will help with the verbiage.

My English teacher woukd be proud of your sententence and perception.

We off topic.

I don't drink, just smoke not much, what do you do. What will you do. What did you do. ok I really have a six grade education of an European influenced and Caribbean influenced education. A six grade is like a 11 grade here. No shit.
There is so much ill will towards the desecrators of Dune that I would not be surprised if while hiking this fellow, well not him, the other asshole, the one that dictates, would hear the humming of tne biggest Enduro bike on Earth close to his reas. His ear next to his ass. Bye and hello igot to go study.
ImageImageImage
lotek

Post by lotek »

I see.