High-Opp

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Fishreader

High-Opp

Post by Fishreader »

This is a first impression of this apparently forgotten oldie.

I have to say I' m sufficiently intrigued by the story plot which follows the fall from grace of a senior public officer in a world controlled by opinion polls. Suffice it to say, plans within plans start to unfold and Daniel Movius, Ex-Senior Liaitor, is in the middle of it all.

What I particulary like is that this short story seems to be a spin-off of sorts of the Whipping Star/Dosadi Experiment novels which I very much like. It is not a Consentiency novel it itself but there are enough common elements to warrantee that Consentiency fans are hooked, for example the fact that the Low-Opps live in Warrens, all government agencies are called Bureaus, e.g.Bu-Psych (see BuSab) and semantics also plays a part.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: High-Opp

Post by Freakzilla »

SO, The Hack hasn't totally trashed it?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

he can do that ? I mean not fuck up anything he touches ?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That IS hard to believe.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'd love to say stranger things have happened, but we all know they didn't.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Hopefully he fucked up fucking it up.

Too busy watching crap DVDs to change anything, he probably missed most of the typos too.

:)

(If he'd changed anything he would have tweeted about how he was a great literary historian)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

Good point.
I guess it's still worth at least the effort to find out what the score is on this one.

Whipping Star is one of my favourite novels and I'd be happy to go back to the Consentiency again, but I'm starting to get a little wary of kjarse's manners now...
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I don't care if all he did was fill in the punctuation. I won't support any HLP/KJA venture on principal. It is fouled simply by association with the hack.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Fishreader wrote:This is a first impression of this apparently forgotten oldie.

I have to say I' m sufficiently intrigued by the story plot which follows the fall from grace of a senior public officer in a world controlled by opinion polls. Suffice it to say, plans within plans start to unfold and Daniel Movius, Ex-Senior Liaitor, is in the middle of it all.

What I particulary like is that this short story seems to be a spin-off of sorts of the Whipping Star/Dosadi Experiment novels which I very much like. It is not a Consentiency novel it itself but there are enough common elements to warrantee that Consentiency fans are hooked, for example the fact that the Low-Opps live in Warrens, all government agencies are called Bureaus, e.g.Bu-Psych (see BuSab) and semantics also plays a part.
Several f his shrt stories use those things, actually.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:I don't care if all he did was fill in the punctuation. I won't support any HLP/KJA venture on principal. It is fouled simply by association with the hack.
:clap:
~Pink Snowman
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

I won't touch nor acknowledge this either, despite my love for Whipping/Dosadi
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Anybody read yet?
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Mr. Teg wrote:Anybody read yet?
We refuse to pay money ;)

Rob
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Robspierre wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:Anybody read yet?
We refuse to pay money ;)

Rob

Oh, wait...
No hard copy only ebook?
CHOAM
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Yep, only ebook.

Rob
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

No, it does exist as paperback too. ISBN 1614750386
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

ULFsurfer wrote:No, it does exist as paperback too. ISBN 1614750386
Looks like the "paperback" is published by Buttfire Duress, but also sold on Amazon.
So, used copies should be available soon.
CHOAM
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Print on demand surely?

If there was any amount of money in releasing this they would have gone through Tor (a la Santaroga, Hellstrom, Whipping etc etc).
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Maybe this is a sign that Tor is giving up on him?
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I disagree;
I think he's trying to start publishing-
he's gotten popular enough to believe he's worth a larger share and the collaboration train is running out of gravy.
If e-publishing takes off in any realistic way, steve will be an award winning nominee media mogul.

...the fuckers got a good shot at it too...
:mad:

edit; but yeah, I don't think Tor likes him
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

If you look at the kind of book he's putting out, I can't imagine them selling anywhere near enough to justify the up front costs of a real paper run.

He has got high hopes, and you're right, he might even succeed - He has a massive back catalogue nobody else wants to print (suddenly it all makes sense!), Brian has his own back-catalogue and also keeps producing unsellable content... and he's got mate's rates access to Frank Herbert's works - The Pandora books a brilliant, but I doubt they shift much volume, although with near-zero-costs digital distribution, that doesn't really matter.

But we won't be seeing old Dune or NuDune released by him any time soon. Just enough money left there for everyone involved to stay interested... until they start forcing so called editors onto him. :o
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

This is interesting:

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php?topic=107826.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:This is interesting:

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php?topic=107826.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HBJ
$10.79 in paperback for Prime members??? WTF?
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/t ... msg1700330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:lol:

Very nice.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks