Ranking FH's Other Books

Image
    Non-Dune Frank Herbert Book Discussion

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla, Mr. Teg

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6628
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Omphalos » 24 Jun 2010 13:33

inhuien wrote:I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see.

I did however see you're cover thumbnails, teeny small but correctly formed, Opera 10.53.


Seems to me there is a better litany in here somewhere. :P

User avatar
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener
Posts: 3289
Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Nekhrun » 24 Jun 2010 13:42

DuneFishUK wrote:Oh and, no love for Hellstrom?

One of my FH favorites!

Also: Godmakers; Whipping Star; Dosadi Experiment; Eyes of Heisenberg
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby inhuien » 24 Jun 2010 14:58

Omphalos wrote:
inhuien wrote:I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see.

I did however see you're cover thumbnails, teeny small but correctly formed, Opera 10.53.


Seems to me there is a better litany in here somewhere. :P

I must not fear.
Fear is the rose petal.
Fear is the hairy chin that brings total obliteration.
I will face my rose petal.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the rose petal has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Image

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6628
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Omphalos » 24 Jun 2010 18:35

inhuien wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
inhuien wrote:I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see.

I did however see you're cover thumbnails, teeny small but correctly formed, Opera 10.53.


Seems to me there is a better litany in here somewhere. :P

I must not fear.
Fear is the rose petal.
Fear is the hairy chin that brings total obliteration.
I will face my rose petal.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the rose petal has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.


That can't be right, cause if the rose petal has blown past you, then Chig's nips are showing. How about:

I must not fear
Fear is the rose petal blowing away.
I will face my fear with spray on adhesive.
I will permit myself to back out of the room slowly, making sure my exit does not stir a wind.
And when I have gone, I will set fire to the room I have just backed out of,
Burning the strange he/she I have left in there.
After that, there will be nothing.
Only I and the fire marshall will remain, and I can live with that.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby SandChigger » 24 Jun 2010 22:22

That's just so... incredibly... hurtful! :tissue2:

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 25 Jun 2010 01:52

Cro-Mags wrote:Hi all, just stumbled upon this forum today.

Anyway, I've had enough of those Dune spin-offs (that's a whole 'nother thread), and I'm trying to scratch that itch with F.H.'s non-Dune material. I've read the Dosadi Experiment and Santaroga Barrier and enjoyed both. Reading Destination : Void now and I'll be honest, I'm finding it a little too - clinical and technical. There's a great used book store near me that has them all, but now that I'm slogging through D:V I find myself wondering if I'm not missing out by grabbing something else instead.

I'm wondering from you folks what you'd consider his Top 5 non-Dune books. I'm not looking for a hard ranking per se, just a sense of what you think I should seek out next that I haven't already.

Any help is appreciated. My apologies if you covered this in another thread, I couldn't see anything similar.


Hey, forgot to ask - hardcore punk fan?
Image

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby inhuien » 25 Jun 2010 05:03

Omphalos wrote:
inhuien wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
inhuien wrote:I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see. I can not see what I do not want to see.

I did however see you're cover thumbnails, teeny small but correctly formed, Opera 10.53.


Seems to me there is a better litany in here somewhere. :P

I must not fear.
Fear is the rose petal.
Fear is the hairy chin that brings total obliteration.
I will face my rose petal.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the rose petal has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.


That can't be right, cause if the rose petal has blown past you, then Chig's nips are showing. How about:

I must not fear
Fear is the rose petal blowing away.
I will face my fear with spray on adhesive.
I will permit myself to back out of the room slowly, making sure my exit does not stir a wind.
And when I have gone, I will set fire to the room I have just backed out of,
Burning the strange he/she I have left in there.
After that, there will be nothing.
Only I and the fire marshall will remain, and I can live with that.

You're a Twin Peaks fan? And re Chig's nips (there's something I never thought I'd type), it's the fear of the unknown more than the reality that gets me. :think: :lol:
Image

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby inhuien » 25 Jun 2010 05:09

SandChigger wrote:That's just so... incredibly... hurtful! :tissue2:

Here, just for you. An ejaculation of roses.

Image
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby SandChigger » 25 Jun 2010 09:55

Thank you. :D

Now stop thinking about my nipples. :?

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18160
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Freakzilla » 25 Jun 2010 10:30

SandChigger wrote:Now stop thinking about my nipples. :?


I wasn't until now... Now I can't stop.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

Cro-Mags
Posts: 17
Joined: 23 Jun 2010 11:45

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Cro-Mags » 25 Jun 2010 13:24

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Cro-Mags wrote:Hi all, just stumbled upon this forum today.

Anyway, I've had enough of those Dune spin-offs (that's a whole 'nother thread), and I'm trying to scratch that itch with F.H.'s non-Dune material. I've read the Dosadi Experiment and Santaroga Barrier and enjoyed both. Reading Destination : Void now and I'll be honest, I'm finding it a little too - clinical and technical. There's a great used book store near me that has them all, but now that I'm slogging through D:V I find myself wondering if I'm not missing out by grabbing something else instead.

I'm wondering from you folks what you'd consider his Top 5 non-Dune books. I'm not looking for a hard ranking per se, just a sense of what you think I should seek out next that I haven't already.

Any help is appreciated. My apologies if you covered this in another thread, I couldn't see anything similar.


Hey, forgot to ask - hardcore punk fan?

Big time NYHC fan back in the day. Have to admit I'm getting to be an old duffer so I've mellowed out a little. More likely to be listening to some fusion/jazz guitar these days.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 25 Jun 2010 13:26

Cro-Mags wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Cro-Mags wrote:Hi all, just stumbled upon this forum today.

Anyway, I've had enough of those Dune spin-offs (that's a whole 'nother thread), and I'm trying to scratch that itch with F.H.'s non-Dune material. I've read the Dosadi Experiment and Santaroga Barrier and enjoyed both. Reading Destination : Void now and I'll be honest, I'm finding it a little too - clinical and technical. There's a great used book store near me that has them all, but now that I'm slogging through D:V I find myself wondering if I'm not missing out by grabbing something else instead.

I'm wondering from you folks what you'd consider his Top 5 non-Dune books. I'm not looking for a hard ranking per se, just a sense of what you think I should seek out next that I haven't already.

Any help is appreciated. My apologies if you covered this in another thread, I couldn't see anything similar.


Hey, forgot to ask - hardcore punk fan?

Big time NYHC fan back in the day. Have to admit I'm getting to be an old duffer so I've mellowed out a little. More likely to be listening to some fusion/jazz guitar these days.


A lot of that was before my time, but I listen to a lot of Biohazard and Terror, stuff that came out of that scene. My girl is big into that stuff though, not so much the NY, just that whole era.
Image

Cro-Mags
Posts: 17
Joined: 23 Jun 2010 11:45

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Cro-Mags » 25 Jun 2010 13:33

I always liked the thrash/metalcore stuff - Cro-Mags, Misfits, Murphy's Law, S.O.D., Bad Brains, D.R.I., Suicidal Tendencies. Such pleasant young fellows.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 25 Jun 2010 14:23

Love Misfits and Suicidal.
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18160
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Freakzilla » 25 Jun 2010 14:50

All I wanted was a Pepsi
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

Cro-Mags
Posts: 17
Joined: 23 Jun 2010 11:45

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Cro-Mags » 25 Jun 2010 15:03

good call.

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 25 Jun 2010 17:16

Freakzilla wrote:All I wanted was a Pepsi


I don't know why that's the line that always stick out in people's minds...
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18160
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Freakzilla » 25 Jun 2010 17:51

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:All I wanted was a Pepsi


I don't know why that's the line that always stick out in people's minds...


The song was practically an anthem when I was a teenager.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Serkanner » 25 Jun 2010 19:12

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:All I wanted was a Pepsi


I don't know why that's the line that always stick out in people's minds...


The song was practically an anthem when I was a teenager.


... and somehow I have missed it? :(


edit ... DAMN! .. . SUICIDAL TENDENCIES ... I didn't miss it.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Eyes High
Patience Personified
Posts: 2321
Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Eyes High » 30 Jun 2010 23:30

SandChigger wrote:Thank you. :D

Now stop thinking about my nipples. :?



When you keep posting that picture how can we not but think about uhm them. :P
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby SandChigger » 01 Jul 2010 00:33

Thinking about people thinking about my nipples makes them tingle.

Think about that for a while. ;)

User avatar
Eyes High
Patience Personified
Posts: 2321
Joined: 22 Jul 2008 15:32
Location: between the worlds of men and make believe

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby Eyes High » 01 Jul 2010 11:22

we are so bad. :lol:



And back on topic. I'm still trying to get to Frank's other books (making the time and finding them is the hard part) but I doubt we all would rank his books in the same order. We each have our own unique tastes and therefore the stories would reach us in different ways.

Either way, the important thing is reading. Maybe read them in the order they were published.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby inhuien » 01 Jul 2010 12:16

Google has only 2 results for "vortex of nipples", soon it will have more.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22vortex+of+nipples%22&hl=en&client=opera&hs=0Ai&rls=en&filter=0
Image

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby SandChigger » 01 Jul 2010 19:24

"My God," Bowman's voice said from the speaker. "It's full of... a vortex of nipples!"

:shock:

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Ranking FH's Other Books

Postby inhuien » 02 Jul 2010 07:54

"Listen carefully, Feyd," the Baron said. "Observe the nipples within nipples within nipples."















I'm truly very, very sorry.
Image


Return to “˱”