Post Your FH Collection

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SadisticCynic

Re: Post Your FH Collection

Post by SadisticCynic »

I just got a copy of The Ascension Factor from Ebay. Its a hardback and I think its a first edition. It has these numbers on the page with publishing details etc:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Is my surmise correct? (Or is more information needed?)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SadisticCynic wrote:I just got a copy of The Ascension Factor from Ebay. Its a hardback and I think its a first edition. It has these numbers on the page with publishing details etc:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Who is the publisher? Berkely? Most houses use the lowest number as the edition, but some use the second lowest, and others use the highest. You can also check the ISBN on line to see if its the fist printing. http://www.isfdb.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good place to look.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Omphalos wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:I just got a copy of The Ascension Factor from Ebay. Its a hardback and I think its a first edition. It has these numbers on the page with publishing details etc:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Who is the publisher? Berkely? Most houses use the lowest number as the edition, but some use the second lowest, and others use the highest. You can also check the ISBN on line to see if its the fist printing. http://www.isfdb.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good place to look.
It's this one: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?35373

The publisher is ACE/Putnam. And its the first on the list of publications here: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2256. Doesn't mention which digit is the significant one though.

(It also has a nice double photo of Frank and Bill on the back.)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I picked up an audiobook collection of FH reading excerpts from Dune:

It's four cassettes, each one previously published as:
1) The Banquet Scene (DUNE)
2) Sandworms of Dune
3) Battles of Dune
4) The Truths of Dune (Fear is the Mind Killer)

It also has "connective narrative" by FH, and a program booklet that I'll scan and post. I haven't listened to them yet.

I think the recordings are the same as in this set, but I think this one might be a bit harder to find, and the one on amazon doesn't have the booklet, I don't think.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:shock:

Awesome. 8)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

They are the same. I have that same packaging as above, but my tapes are all worn out. MacMillain Audio was supposed to reissue that on CD's a few years ago. I tracked it for a long time, and kept asking Byron when it would be released. Any surrprise that he kept telling me "any day now," then blew me off when it became obvious that they were not forthcoming. He doesn't know shit.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, I think I'll play them exactly once to digitize them, and then not play them again. I'd definitely buy a CD version.

The idea that this kind of material exists primarily on magnetic tape is horrifying to me. Okay, hard disks can fail and CDs degrade after a while, but at least you can make perfect duplicate copies of digital files.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That's a pretty neat item, though. Hunchback Score!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:dance:

Thanks, Dukester.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I have the same set, but on vinyl rather than tapes. I've already recorded one of them (I record them into Cubase and then apply several different kinds of processing to increase and normalize volume, as well as to clean up background hiss and do some basic EQ-ing to make it more pleasant). I was going to do all four records, but I was waiting for Omph to send me some other audio stuff to digitize and clean up, and I guess he's gotten too busy to send me those (nudge nudge :wink: ).

EDIT: I should mention that these are a great collectors item (I had one unopened, but opening it to record it), if only for artwork, which when the size of a full record jacket is amazing. I want to get them framed or something.
Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 08 Jun 2010 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I have the same set, but on vinyl rather than tapes. I've already recorded one of them (I record them into Cubase and then apply several different kinds of processing to increase and normalize volume, as well as to clean up background hiss and do some basic EQ-ing to make it more pleasant). I was going to do all four records, but I was waiting for Omph to send me some other audio stuff to digitize and clean up, and I guess he's gotten too busy to send me those (nudge nudge :wink: ).
which reminds me.....

Um. Can you shoot me your address again? I, uh, seem to have misplaced it. Kids must have gotten it. Yea, that's the ticket.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:EDIT: I should mention that these are a great collectors item (I had one unopened, but opening it to record it), if only for artwork, which when the size of a full record jacket is amazing. I want to get them framed or something.
Yeah the vinyl covers look amazing, from images Ive seen on the interwebz. That's quite a nice set of items you have there.

As far as digitizing stuff from tape, I'm not much of an audio head. I just use a PC with an old-but-decent sound card and some basic recording software. If tape hiss is too bad, I might clean it up a little, but usually I just leave it alone. My main goal is to get it into a form that can be easily preserved.

Not that I've done that much of it: mainly spoken word stuff. A bunch of Rumpole stories read by Sir Leo McKern, the first three Dark Tower novels read by Stephen King, and now this FH recording.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omph, I'll PM you right away.

HBJ - any old digitization is fine really, the nice thing is once it's digital it can always be improved later, or not, or whatever. I just like to mess around a little extra because I have the good gear, and it's fun to use.
The Red Duke

Post by The Red Duke »

My collection is still pretty basic so far, so I'm not gonna post a photo.

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune
Whipping Star
The Dosadi Experiment
The White Plague
I have a special seat in my house that is designed to let me shit in a bowl of fresh water. I am the 1%.
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Okay, I think few of you already know about my Dune collection or let's say special Dune room called Dar-es-Balat ;)
This room contains over 750 books from 17 countries by Frank, Brian or about them or their works and derivatives.
There is also over 250 magazines with 1st appearances of Frank's short stories (also in french magazines) and magazines about Dune movies and games (board and card). Those closeups of the different covers are from my Dune presentation in museums and galleries and this is a really small amount of different Dune books I have. If you're interested in any book cover in particular, please let me know, I'll try to make a photo.

I try to reply to some earlier posts from this thread:
To Serkanner: There is no hardcover edition of Destination Void to the best of my knowledge. But there are to 2 different versions of this book in paperback - original and revised one (almost 100 pages longer).
To Omphalos: These French covers of DM and GEoD you like were done by Wojciech Siudmak. I cooperate with him very closely. I could also make for you a poster print of DM or GEoD cover in almost any dimension you'd like.
To Trang: If you're still looking for leatherbound Dune (I have 2 versions for sale) or foreign editions, please contact me. I could buy for you almost any Polish Edition (there was 4 different translations by 4 publishers). I could also provide knowledge and links for other foreign editions (for example Czech, Serbian, Estonian, Vietnamese, Chinese etc.)

It's time to show some photos.

Last edited by Kwisatz on 10 Oct 2011 12:40, edited 3 times in total.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

wow :shock:, how long did it take to amass all that?
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Over 11 years, but I slowed down in last year.
I have also 11 costumes from Dune and COD Miniseries and lots of collector's items not visible here.
And for the record - those pictures are 1.5 year old ;)

Additional polish covers and drawings of Wojtek Siudmak - I think some of them are really beautiful and maintain highest standard possible!

Last 2 pictures - cover of Polish Dune Messiah on 120x180 cm canvas ;)

Last edited by Kwisatz on 06 Feb 2011 15:02, edited 3 times in total.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

....And how can this be? For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach! :clap:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJXaKuIL ... 86BD091AE7[/youtube]
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:shock: Whoa! :shock:

Well done sir! :clap:
      lotek

Post by lotek »

I'll say it before Chig does;
      "I creamed my litteral pants"

A fanboy's wetdream !

Thanks for sharing !
      Spice is the worm's gonads.
      Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Whooho - Danish version (on the far left, only the first three were translated):

Brings back memories (it uses the Shoenherr illustration from the Illustrated version on the front - a big plus!)

And yes, for those wondering, that is the Danish translation of the word Dune, and it is accurate. And it both sounds and is spelled like the Danish equivalent to the English slang for a certain part of the female anatomy.

Also, regarding the collection; bloody nice!
      Last edited by Lundse on 06 Feb 2011 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
      SandChigger
      KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

lotek wrote:I'll say it before Chig does...
      Um, you need to up your spice consumption, I'm afraid. ;)

That's really amazing, Kwisatz! Thanks for sharing! :D

(I'm always impressed by collectors, even though I personally am not one.)
      DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Yarp - you win... :drool:
      - http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Lundse wrote:Whooho - Danish version (on the far left, only the first three were translated):
      Brings back memories (it uses the Shoenherr illustration from the Illustrated version on the front - a big plus!)
      I'm currently looking for 'Bornene pa Klit' in 2 volumes. Maybe you could help me find it?
      Lundse wrote: And yes, for those wondering, that is the Danish translation of the word Dune, and it is accurate. And it both sounds and is spelled like the Danish equivalent to the English slang for a certain part of the female anatomy.
      Damn, I was going to use that as a riddle here ;) I always ask my visitors both men and women if they know what this word mean. Only men (40%) and 1 woman (maybe 5-10%) knew - very interesting ;)
      Lundse wrote: Also, regarding the collection; bloody nice!
      Thank you, and big thanks to all of you for words of appreciation ;)
      If anyone of you live nearby (Eastern Europe) or has plans to visit, I could make a small tour around my special room ;)
      But it's a rather long journey - from brief 'table of contents' - 30 minutes to full extended version for hardcore fans up to 10 hours in a row or over 16 hours in few sequential meeting. And during this time I show stuff (never all of them - it's like 1 or 2 books or items from each shelf) and talk stories and anecdotes about them ;)

You don't see this on those pictures but I have in my possession around 40 signed editions by Frank (mostly 1st printings) and around 50 by Brian. Also over a hundred of other people related to Dune autographs on books, photos, cards, posters, postcards, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions ;)
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

I've just found additional photos of my bookshelves and some bonus stuff (handmade Atreides Hawks and 2 props from COD miniseries) - enjoy!

If anyone is interested in those kind of Hawks - please let me know. My 2 friends artists made them for me. I could order more ;)