Post Your FH Collection

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Post Your FH Collection

Post by Omphalos »

D Pope wrote:Congratz mate!
Isn't there a story behind the one from Gregg Press?
:clap: :D
I think that one is a phantom.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

It was the case of Destination: Void ;)
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

That's it, I expect. I remember something mysterious about something from Gregg Press, looking forward to hearing the rest... I hate getting old.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
leagued

Post by leagued »

Just ordered a single-volume collection of the Pandora Sequence- the old paperbacks I have are fairly ratty and also in long-term storage. I've read DV but never got through the others.
Also ordered Whipping Star and Dosadi; hadn't realized that the Jorj story I read in Eye a dozen years or so ago was part of a larger universe until I read some of the threads on here. Pretty stoked about that actually.
LeagueD
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Barnes & Nobles just released Dune as part of their leather classics series. These books are some kind of mix between Folio Society and Easton Press, more cheaply produced, thus also not very expensive (got mine for 21 bucks at the local store). Maybe a nice addition to the book shelf for someone who doesn't want to spend a fortune on more expensive collectibles, or for hardcore fanatics who must have everything (ahem).

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

ULFsurfer wrote:Barnes & Nobles just released Dune as part of their leather classics series. These books are some kind of mix between Folio Society and Easton Press, more cheaply produced, thus also not very expensive (got mine for 21 bucks at the local store). Maybe a nice addition to the book shelf for someone who doesn't want to spend a fortune on more expensive collectibles, or for hardcore fanatics who must have everything (ahem).

Anything from BH or KJA in that edition? In other words, is it tainted?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Omphalos wrote:Anything from BH or KJA in that edition? In other words, is it tainted?
Nope, this is pure Dune without any additions or forewords.

Berkley and Ace own the rights to publish the original novels, asfaik. I don't think House Herbert & KJA can touch this, right?
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Is it the same typeface/font or a new one?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

Ampoliros wrote:Is it the same typeface/font or a new one?
With respect to the original you mean? Yes, the typeface is a little different. The chapter heads have a new layout and the quoted philosophical musings don't end in bold anymore.

I don't know what the current Ace editions look like though, so I cannot compare with those.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Looks pretty cool. It may be nice having that on the shelf.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

That one is on next month's shopping list. :D
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Really nice looking.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
leagued

Post by leagued »

The ones I've picked up since moving to Singapore 3 months ago. I now have like 2.5 sets of the saga and 2 copies of the Encyclopedia- this one is a much better copy than my first one.
LeagueD
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

It's so unfair that I can't play this game you should see the shocking state of my floor, also I'm to lazy to get all me FH books in one place. The Encyclopaedia, it's the U.S.printing of course, but is it also Hard Backed?
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

leagued wrote:Image

The ones I've picked up since moving to Singapore 3 months ago. I now have like 2.5 sets of the saga and 2 copies of the Encyclopedia- this one is a much better copy than my first one.
That's a nice collection you've got. I haven't seen that "Pandora Sequence" book before, is it new?

On a side: How's Singapore treating? I've given some thought about hunting for a job there.
leagued

Post by leagued »

- The Encylopedia is hard-backed, which is one of the major reasons its better than my somewhat ratty paperback copy back in the states.

-I think the Pandora Sequence is a new bound collection; I'd never seen or heard of it before I found it on Amazon about a month back. Most of the paperbacks that I've found of the individual books have been in pretty poor condition so I was pretty pleased to get a good, new omnibus copy.

-Singapore is hot, busy, expensive, crowded but also full of good food and lots of activity. Bookstore options are not great.
LeagueD
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

After much research about something called a duster(?), and in spite of no popular demand I give you all me Frank Herbert novels bar 2, DM and CoD seem to have feeked off somewhere.

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

leagued wrote:-I think the Pandora Sequence is a new bound collection; I'd never seen or heard of it before I found it on Amazon about a month back.
That's the Wordfire Press edition, it looks like.
inhuien wrote:After much research about something called a duster(?), and in spite of no popular demand I give you all me Frank Herbert novels bar 2, DM and CoD seem to have feeked off somewhere.
Very nice collection, and some of those covers are particular favourites of mine.

The Pennington covers for Dunes 1-4 and the Encyclopedia, and the covers for Jesus Incident and Dosadi, were the editions my father had when I was growing up. I was intrigued enough by the covers to ask his opinion about the books, he said they were challenging but good, and that's how I came to read Dune.

(Come to think of it, I think I gave him that edition of the Encyclopedia for Christmas one year)

BTW how did you end up with multiple copies of the same edition, and why do you keep the extra copies? (Not criticising, just interested).

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Hunchback Jack wrote:BTW how did you end up with multiple copies of the same edition, and why do you keep the extra copies? (Not criticising, just interested).

HBJ
It's a combination of there age, most of the printings are about 30 years old, read to destruction, and serendipity in 2nd hand book stores. Plus I could never discard a Frank Herbert novel to the trash.

I'm most proud of the coffee mug mark on the Dune 84 printing.
trang

Post by trang »

Nice collections...man have to get to looking for some of those paperbacks, love the cover art.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

inhuien wrote:Plus I could never discard a Frank Herbert novel to the trash.
I hear you, man. I can't throw books away. If I end up with extra copies (from buying a book lot, or seeing a nicer copy than I have, or whatever), I usually give them away to friends or the local library.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
just_kyle

Post by just_kyle »

Kwisatz wrote: Image
Which Heretics proof is that? The UK edition?
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

MY EYES, MY EYES!!!!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

just_kyle wrote:
Kwisatz wrote: Which Heretics proof is that? The UK edition?
Kwisatz is just an over-the-top Dead completist :mrgreen:
He's also a respected member of our community and one of my moderators at TAU.
So, show some RESPECT FOR YOUR ELDERS who built this fandom.
Thank you.
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞
      Kwisatz

Post by Kwisatz »

Yes, this is Gollancz edition of HoD. I have also Putnam ARC with oversized DJ proof with different price than the 1st edition.
      In other news I confirmed that there was no PoD ARC, which is strange. Now I'm trying to buy MoD ARC and then my ARC collection of nuDune will be complete.
      Expect in February a large set of articles from California Living on Tau ;)