Destination: Void

Moderators: Mr. Teg, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

georgiedenbro

Re: Destination: Void

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote:This series reminds me of Ender's Game in how the first book was great then it went totally off the rails.
I have to admit I found my re-read of The Jesus Incident just recently very difficult to complete. The book simply isn't interesting and the story doesn't move. D:V is so much of a better read. But to be fair I feel like it may be a result of the collaboration. I don't know how Herbert and Ransom assigned tasks, but the prose doesn't resemble Frank's other writing so I wonder whether it was written by committee.

Speaking of which, I was thinking of reading the rest of the Ender series, having only read the first one so far (and not liking it that much). I guess you don't think it's worth reading?
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

That's interesting, as I remember TJI being way more readable than D:V. The first novel felt like it had way too much technobabble. I worry if I try and recommend this series that people will be put off by the first one. That said, I will agree that there's a decline in quality after TJI.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

georgiedenbro wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:This series reminds me of Ender's Game in how the first book was great then it went totally off the rails.
I have to admit I found my re-read of The Jesus Incident just recently very difficult to complete. The book simply isn't interesting and the story doesn't move. D:V is so much of a better read. But to be fair I feel like it may be a result of the collaboration. I don't know how Herbert and Ransom assigned tasks, but the prose doesn't resemble Frank's other writing so I wonder whether it was written by committee.

Speaking of which, I was thinking of reading the rest of the Ender series, having only read the first one so far (and not liking it that much). I guess you don't think it's worth reading?
I wouldn't say they're not worth reading but they have very little to do with the events in Ender's Game. But since you didn't like EG much, maybe that's a good thing. Ender's Shadow was Ender's Game from another character's perspective.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman