Jewish Heritage via Axlotl Tank?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Why? Do the Sufis dislike the Jews more than the Sunnis and Shiites? :?
No, it just implies that they are Islamic, many of which don't like the Book People.
Muslims count as "book people."
Yes, but I thought they refered to Jews and Christians in that way.
Also, isn't a great deal of the universe adherent to some sort of Islamic offshoot religion at this point?
I believe the most pervasive religion in the Old Empire is Leto's. At least, they give it lip service. Even people in The Scattering worship Dur or Gildur, another name for Leto II.

The Bene Gesserit are genuinely suprised when they find out about the BT religion. I imagine they wouldn't be if it was common.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Freakzilla wrote:I believe the most pervasive religion in the Old Empire is Leto's. At least, they give it lip service. Even people in The Scattering worship Dur or Gildur, another name for Leto II.

The Bene Gesserit are genuinely suprised when they find out about the BT religion. I imagine they wouldn't be if it was common.
Yeah, you're right, I was thinking Paul's era when in fact we're talking about much later.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I believe the most pervasive religion in the Old Empire is Leto's. At least, they give it lip service. Even people in The Scattering worship Dur or Gildur, another name for Leto II.

Yeah, you're right, I was thinking Paul's era when in fact we're talking about much later.
Not much is said about specific religions prior to the Atreides Ascendancy.

It doesn't really matter since Paul wiped most major religions out.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Statistics: at a conservative estimate, I've killed sixty-one billion, sterilized ninety planets, completely demoralized five hundred others. I've wiped out the followers of forty religions which had existed since—"

"Unbelievers!" Korba protested. "Unbelievers all!"

"No," Paul said. "Believers."

"My Liege makes a joke," Korba said, voice trembling. "The Jihad has brought ten thousand worlds into the shining light of—"

"Into the darkness," Paul said. "We'll be a hundred generations recovering from Muad'dib's Jihad. I find it hard to imagine that anyone will ever surpass this." A barking laugh erupted from his throat.
Oh...how dark he is here! ;)

"Most religions" might be a slight exaggeration, no? He specifically mentions forty...which is of course a lot by our standards...but then we've no idea how many "religions" there were in the Imperium to begin with. (He slew a whole slew of people, after all! Ha ha.) Some are mentioned in the Religion Appendix.

"Book People" is kinda funny; sounds like a bookstore chain name. (Is it actually? :shock: ) al-Kitâb "The Book" can mean the Qur'an to Muslims just as "The Good Book" means the Bible to Christians. Ahl al-Kitâb (I wonder if FH would have rendered the first word as Achl, as he changes ahlan to achlan?), according to "The Little Green Demon" (The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic, pocket-book edition), means "the people of the Book, adherents of a revealed religion, the kitabis, i.e., Christians and Jews".
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
"Statistics: at a conservative estimate, I've killed sixty-one billion, sterilized ninety planets, completely demoralized five hundred others. I've wiped out the followers of forty religions which had existed since—"

"My Liege makes a joke," Korba said, voice trembling. "The Jihad has brought ten thousand worlds into the shining light of—"

"Into the darkness," Paul said. "We'll be a hundred generations recovering from Muad'dib's Jihad. I find it hard to imagine that anyone will ever surpass this." A barking laugh erupted from his throat.
Oh...how dark he is here! ;)

"Most religions" might be a slight exaggeration, no? He specifically mentions forty...which is of course a lot by our standards...but then we've no idea how many "religions" there were in the Imperium to begin with. (He slew a whole slew of people, after all! Ha ha.) Some are mentioned in the Religion Appendix.

"Book People" is kinda funny; sounds like a bookstore chain name. (Is it actually? :shock: ) al-Kitâb "The Book" can mean the Qur'an to Muslims just as "The Good Book" means the Bible to Christians. Ahl al-Kitâb (I wonder if FH would have rendered the first word as Achl, as he changes ahlan to achlan?), according to "The Little Green Demon" (The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic, pocket-book edition), means "the people of the Book, adherents of a revealed religion, the kitabis, i.e., Christians and Jews".
The idea of "The Muad'dib's Jihad" was to enforce Paul's religion, no?

Paradise at the point of a crysknife.

I think it's safe to assume that if it was a major religion it was wiped out.

(I had a feeling someone was going to call me on that as soon as I typed it.)
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

{fuck, I hate to do this ....}

since this is of course now unreliable as it all Irulan propaganda,
would you e-mail Kevin and brief him on our discussion here,
and ask for a definitive answer as to the actual number of religions
The Maud'dib's Jihad eliminated, so I can sleep at night ?

{that I can even think to make a sarcastic comment like that pisses me off to no end .....}
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

SandChigger wrote::lol:

:?: :!:

Is the "Shut up, Byron" story post still online over there? Is that what you're referring to? ;)
http://www.zone-sf.com/frankherbert.html

"I remember him taking me for a walk behind his house past the chicken coop and onto a small trail through the woods. He took me to meet the Starrys, my neighbours for that summer, a warm and polite couple who could have been featured sitting on a porch in a Norman Rockwell painting. After saying friendly 'hellos,' we returned to the trail heading back toward home.
"So what do you do?" I remember asking him as we made our way into the damp forest.
"What do you mean, 'What do I do?'"
"You know," I said impatiently, "for a living. What do you do?"
His brow furrowed up in frustration. It looked as though he were getting mad, but then his blue eyes softened and he told me, "I write." "

Chig, were you referring about this story?

I swear I was expecting FH to say: "Shut up, Byron", after byron's question. :lol:

"That's one of the books I've written. Perhaps when you're old enough, you can read it," he said and put the book back on its shelf.

Do you see it, KJA? Frank Herbert books are for grown up people, not for the babies you call your fans!
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I had found that but hadn't gotten around to reading it yet.
I just did.
It's disgusting.
On several levels....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No, Byron posted about another summer visit when he was a kid, maybe, and he was being really hyper in the car and talking a lot or asking a lot of questions or something like that and gradually got on Frank's nerves and Frank finally said, "Shut up, Byron."

For a while Byron was doing series of Frank Herbert trivia question threads, seeing who knew or could guess the answers. I think the story was in one of those.

It was a long time ago, maybe before he turned the automatic pruning off (having it on was almost criminal, when you think about it), so it might be gone. Or he might have deleted it. Who knows. I can't be bothered to look for it. Besides, the punch line is the best part.

"SHUT UP, BYRON!" :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Freakzilla wrote:Not much is said about specific religions prior to the Atreides Ascendancy.
Through quotes from religious texts, the appendices, the heavily Middle-Eastern influenced terminology extending all the way to the top of the government - not just Emperor, but Padishah Emperor - and the fact that the most significant religious movement in the last ten millennia is referred to as a jihad, much is implied.
Freakzilla wrote:It doesn't really matter since Paul wiped most major religions out.
Paul's tradition comes out of pre-existing religions, though. It's Leto that seems to be something brand new.
SandChigger wrote:"Book People" is kinda funny; sounds like a bookstore chain name. (Is it actually? Shocked ) al-Kitâb "The Book" can mean the Qur'an to Muslims just as "The Good Book" means the Bible to Christians. Ahl al-Kitâb (I wonder if FH would have rendered the first word as Achl, as he changes ahlan to achlan?), according to "The Little Green Demon" (The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic, pocket-book edition), means "the people of the Book, adherents of a revealed religion, the kitabis, i.e., Christians and Jews".
The term "people of the Book," though, refers to the three major religions coming out of the Jewish scriptural tradition - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. The second draws on the mythology of the first and the third draws on the mythology of the first two.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:For a while Byron was doing series of Frank Herbert trivia question threads, seeing who knew or could guess the answers. I think the story was in one of those.
Yeah, he did about three of them and then apparently ran out of things to tell us about Frank that we don't already know.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
SandChigger wrote:For a while Byron was doing series of Frank Herbert trivia question threads, seeing who knew or could guess the answers. I think the story was in one of those.
Yeah, he did about three of them and then apparently ran out of things to tell us about Frank that we don't already know.
I think it was just that everything else was so personal, he couldn't share it. After all, he knew his grandfather so very well, no?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Merritt wrote:http://www.zone-sf.com/frankherbert.html
Once inside he took me upstairs to his study, something that would occur only twice in my life.
This first time was when Merritt was seven. He had asked Frank what he did for a living. Frank told him he was a writer. Even at that young age, Merritt was unable to grasp reality, so Frank took him into the study and showed him a book with "Frank Herbert" on the cover.

Anybody know when & why the second time Merritt was in Frank's study ?
ImageImage