Religion Critics?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

inhuien

Re: Religion Critics?

Post by inhuien »

Nekhrun wrote:
inhuien wrote:
Naïve mind wrote:I never imagined a discussion between agnostics and other agnostics could get so heated.
You misunderstand, it is a discussion between an agnostic an an atheist. Unless of course I misunderstand.
I suppose I consider myself an atheist, though I think the very idea that I would need a label to identify that I only believe in things for which there is evidence is absurd. It requires absolutely no faith for me not to believe. Should evidence present itself that is contrary to one of my current beliefs then I would change my mind based on that. It is not faith to believe in something which can be observed and repeated.
Sure you can approach it from a non theist angle and that's fine. I've taken the liberty of bolding part of your post and you are of course completely correct. That's the very keystone of empirical and peer review scientific research, taking a theory to a law, in a scientific context. But, and you seen this coming like a train, at this point in time we can not disproof God in what ever way. Something caused this universe to exist, if we are merely the effluence of extra dimensional happenings, so what.

I used to fall into the atheist camp myself, over time I came to realise that that was a conceit of opinion based on nothing but disbelief. To quote Bill, It's just a ride, and I don't have a horse in this race, and If there was a race, I think there would only be one horse.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Visigoth

Post by Visigoth »

For we walk by faith, not sight.
ImageImageImage
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Visigoth wrote:For we walk by faith, not sight.
Interesting words for sure, for us dullards what's it mean? Or are you just ripping from scriptures without relevancy
distrans

Post by distrans »

indicates that faith is response to a realm of mystery,
not facts

"render unto caesar what is caesars
and unto god what is god's"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Well whatever it means, it's wrong.
distrans

Post by distrans »

by wrong you mean used here incorrrect
not valueless
right?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I'm meant incorrect, which also makes it with out value.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I walk with my legs and feet in addition to some of the other interconnected parts that work beautifully via the stimulus my brain received through the sense of touch...also by sight.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
I walk with my legs and feet in addition to some of the other interconnected parts that work beautifully via the stimulus my brain received through the sense of touch...also by sight.
You use your inner ear for balance, too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I walk by accident.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
You use your inner ear for balance, too.
I knew there would be more added here.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

We are nothing if not capable and culpable of transforming the sublime to the ridicules with ease.
distrans

Post by distrans »

thats what it gets for just standing there
gurneyman

Post by gurneyman »

Does Sex God of Disneyland count as a religion? :twisted:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. "
gurneyman

Post by gurneyman »

For whatever it is worth. I did not vote, as I usually consider my religious beliefs to be rather unique, I suppose. Some people call me "Christian", but others consider me atheist. Go figure.

I do find myself perusing the Bible consistently, but can't consider much of it to be valid, except for what I find in the "red letters." I find the teachings and philosophies of Jesus to be very valid, but can't put any stock in the creation story, the miracles, the resurrection, heaven and hell, etc.

It doesn't matter to me if Jesus actualy existed or not, although I do think a teacher, philosopher, rabbi, or whatever you want to call him, named Jesus probably did and was so radical to the time that Rome killed him off, but beyond that I can't put much stock in the book.

I do keep an open mind about other religious texts, owning various translations of the Bible, the Bhagavad Gita, the Quran, and the Urantia Book.

Complex, I understand, but it does reflect greatly my personality. Eccentric, I suppose.......
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. "
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

If you haven't already, you might find some amusement in studying some texts by the Stoïcs; Epictetus, Seneca and particularly the meditations of emperor Marcus Aurelius. The Stoa was a philosophical school centered in the Greek city of Tarsus, and greatly influenced one Saul of Tarsus, before he became the Apostle Paul while on the road to Damascus.