Rather Disturbing question but...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:Product placement would be important if it was a public appearance and not sandwalking. For the sake of making my heard hurt less, is Paul at least off to go build with a bunch of powerful offworld contractors, rather than natives, pilgrims, and Fremen?
And that's the problem: it's supposed to be a very private moment for the family, building a cairn for the skull and a few bones of Duke Leto.

Which they have...and then Korba and a bunch of construction workers fly in with tons of stone and build a pyramid over the cairn. All very cinematic (with unlimited special effects!)...I can almost see it now. :roll:

Shite...utter, total, and complete. Yet I've seen people post that the chapter "moved" them. Take a good long look around out there: half of them are idiots.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

SandChigger wrote:
EsperandoAGodot wrote:Product placement would be important if it was a public appearance and not sandwalking. For the sake of making my heard hurt less, is Paul at least off to go build with a bunch of powerful offworld contractors, rather than natives, pilgrims, and Fremen?
And that's the problem: it's supposed to be a very private moment for the family, building a cairn for the skull and a few bones of Duke Leto.

Which they have...and then Korba and a bunch of construction workers fly in with tons of stone and build a pyramid over the cairn. All very cinematic (with unlimited special effects!)...I can almost see it now. :roll:
The thing is...

...and I'm going out on a limb here...

...I can see this scene working if it were written well. Done economically, it could probably handle pretty well the themes in Dune Messiah.

Of course, it's probably not written well, and Dune Messiah already dealt with those themes.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

The thing is...

...and I'm going out on a limb here...

...I can see this scene working if it were written well. Done economically, it could probably handle pretty well the themes in Dune Messiah.

Of course, it's probably not written well, and Dune Messiah already dealt with those themes.
I'm with you. yes, it could be a beautiful chapter, but the character were so out of their personality... and Paul wearing off-world suit? Oh, my good frank herbert....
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Not to mention that the shrine was built in Dune Book 3 and in Dune Messiah its still a pile of rocks.

Not to mention that Water Discipline has to be followed by every Fremen, even (ne especially?) Paul Muad'dib...

Not to mention that being the first chapter, and being the first chapter leake..er, put out as a promotion, and including the juvenile stature of both the author, the text, and his attitude thereof; The stillsuit discrepancy was a blundering and idiotic attempt at a KJA-tailored 'Gotcha' move. While he says the stillsuits are superior, he kinda sorta takes it back when he has Paul think, no they aren't better.

It's my call that this was a fairly obvious attempt to bait the OH community into a rabid-attack-dog stance.

Unfortunately he failed in his attempt to rile us with cheap tricks. It was his shit writing and totally uncaring attitude toward Dune that riled us.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Ampoliros wrote:The stillsuit discrepancy was a blundering and idiotic attempt at a KJA-tailored 'Gotcha' move. While he says the stillsuits are superior, he kinda sorta takes it back when he has Paul think, no they aren't better.

It's my call that this was a fairly obvious attempt to bait the OH community into a rabid-attack-dog stance.

Unfortunately he failed in his attempt to rile us with cheap tricks. It was his shit writing and totally uncaring attitude toward Dune that riled us.
I wouldn't quite go that far...
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The off-world stillsuit scene doesn't make foam at the mouth. I can easily imagine that a better stillsuit could be made somewhere else. I imagine it would take an order from Paul to get Fremen to wear them.

What bothers me is that they have no respect for the chronological order of things in FH's Duniverse. Everything has to come first in their books.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:The off-world stillsuit scene doesn't make foam at the mouth. I can easily imagine that a better stillsuit could be made somewhere else. I imagine it would take an order from Paul to get Fremen to wear them.

What bothers me is that they have no respect for the chronological order of things in FH's Duniverse. Everything has to come first in their books.
I hope that is not the only reason. Me just hates every single word these two hacks have published. I am a hater.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Sole Man

on my priavte parts...Er, Imean KJA

Post by Sole Man »

Hurm...Maybe its all part in grand scheme? I think Ampoliros could be right...could he's trying to get us angry, make us back him into a corner.

But will a weasel do when frightened into a cornor?

And if that is his plan, then we've played right into it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:The off-world stillsuit scene doesn't make foam at the mouth. I can easily imagine that a better stillsuit could be made somewhere else. I imagine it would take an order from Paul to get Fremen to wear them.

I hope that is not the only reason. Me just hates every single word these two hacks have published. I am a hater.
I haven't read it. I'm one of those that can't figure out after reading nine other shit novels that this one would probably be shit too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: on my priavte parts...Er, Imean KJA

Post by Serkanner »

Sole Man wrote:Hurm...Maybe its all part in grand scheme? I think Ampoliros could be right...could he's trying to get us angry, make us back him into a corner.

But will a weasel do when frightened into a cornor?

And if that is his plan, then we've played right into it.
I truly hope the weasel will do because what will happen if we corner a Grizzly bear?

and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I think the attitude is more "Look what I can do! And you can't stop me! There are plenty of stooges out there who will eat this shit up; you know it and I know it, so like it or lump it! Ha ha ha!"

But really, when I think about it, I really hope that Kevin does believe himself to be a good writer, and that he honestly thinks this shit is his best work.

I prefer the image of him as a total fool. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote:I think the attitude is more "Look what I can do! And you can't stop me! There are plenty of stooges out there who will eat this shit up; you know it and I know it, so like it or lump it! Ha ha ha!"

But really, when I think about it, I really hope that Kevin does believe himself to be a good writer, and that he honestly thinks this shit is his best work.

I prefer the image of him as a total fool. :twisted:
After all these years you still doubt he doesn't believe he is the Galaxy's Über-writer?

and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SandChigger wrote:
Some shitty hack wrote: On their trek, Paul and his three companions wore new stillsuits covered by mottled cloaks to camouflage them in the desert. Though the garments looked well worn, they were actually finer than any Paul had used when he'd lived as a fugitive among the Fremen. Their makers claimed that these durable offworld imports were superior to the simpler versions that had traditionally been made in hidden sietches.The manufacturers mean well, he thought. They do it to show their support for me, without realizing the implied criticism in their "improvements."
We kicked this one around in one of the PoD threads back in September, before you joined. Anything not manufactured in the sietches was inferior and the Fremen would never rely on them. They're off to build a shrine to a family member: why wouldn't they wear their usual stillsuits? It doesn't make sense on any level.
SandRider wrote:maybe its a literary metaphor for KJA's improvements to Frank's Dune ....
Amp wrote:Not to mention that being the first chapter, and being the first chapter leake..er, put out as a promotion, and including the juvenile stature of both the author, the text, and his attitude thereof; The stillsuit discrepancy was a blundering and idiotic attempt at a KJA-tailored 'Gotcha' move. While he says the stillsuits are superior, he kinda sorta takes it back when he has Paul think, no they aren't better. It's my call that this was a fairly obvious attempt to bait the OH community into a rabid-attack-dog stance.
SandChigger wrote:I think the attitude is more "Look what I can do! And you can't stop me! There are plenty of stooges out there who will eat this shit up; you know it and I know it, so like it or lump it! Ha ha ha!"But really, when I think about it, I really hope that Kevin does believe himself to be a good writer, and that he honestly thinks this shit is his best work.I prefer the image of him as a total fool. :twisted:
a couple of days ago, when Chig posted that PoS excerpt, for just a moment, I thought I saw something there, and so posted my "maybe it's a literary metaphor". Then I realized, no, of course not. "The manufacturers mean well, he thought. They do it to show their support for me, without realizing the implied criticism in their "improvement"" This would be my argument, that by "improving" Dune, they are criticizing Frank. Then I realized I'd been thinking about "literary metaphors" and Kevin J. Anderson with the same brain, and slapped myself silly.

Amp displays a distrustful paranoia the OH must overcome, for one simple reason. Kevin's just not that smart .....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think he can see the irony.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think he can see the irony.
what i'm sayin.
we overthink the thing too much.

Kevin's dumber than the box the rocks came in.
Sloey's got more insight....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think he can see the irony.
Here is the definition of irony, just in case anyone was curious. :)

KJA could learn a thing or two about irony. However, we must all agree that the stillsuit does not make the man, unless of course it makes him dark, because, as we all know, darkness is the best characterization an author can give to an optimistic youth who never actually was optimistic about the future he knew he would help to create. :roll:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Sole Man

on RVB

Post by Sole Man »

What's with all the RED VS. BLUE scenes all of a sudden? I'm just curios...
Tleszer

Re: on RVB

Post by Tleszer »

Sole Man wrote:What's with all the RED VS. BLUE scenes all of a sudden? I'm just curios...
It's called association. Several posts before mine used the term "irony" or "ironic" to describe a situation relating to KJA. I can't help it if I now associate "irony" with that scene from RvB. :)
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

Getting back to the original question here...

I've always assumed that menstruation was treated like any other body fluid when it was processed by the stillsuits.

Here's a second, equally disturbing question: How do Fremen poop in a stillsuit?

My theories:
1.) the Fremen metabolism was unbelievably efficient, getting nearly every bit of nutrition from all their food, resulting in very little poo.

2.) The Fremen diet (especially for desert patrols) was very binding (much like the MRE's fed to US soldiers.) which caused very little need to go BM.

3.) The Fremen diet caused very loose stool, essentially diarrhea, which was easily absorbed/filtered or funneled to the thighpads of the stillsuit. (this would probably also allow more liquid water to be reclaimed into the suit for hydration purposes.)

As I see it, the stillsuit has a "pouch" at the seat, where the Fremen would squat, let things happen, and then stand up. The standing would channel the (very liquid) poo into the thighpads, through channels down the back of the legs.

Yes, the subject is gross, but I've been trying to draw a stillsuit design, and while I was drawing, I tried to visualize how the suit would work.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Sole Man

On...feces

Post by Sole Man »

*Shudders*

I...I don't even...Buuuuggh.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You don't even what? Poop?

Anal retentive, huh? Explains a few things.

Come on, Sloe Thang, let it out! Don't fear the crapper!

Everyone Poops! :D

Tleszer

Re: On...feces

Post by Tleszer »

Family Guy wrote:Peter Griffin: I'm looking for some toilet training books.
Salesman: We have the popular 'Everybody Poops", or the less popular 'Nobody Poops But You'.
Peter Griffin: Well, you see, we're Catholic...
Salesman: Ah, then you'll want 'You're a Naughty, Naughty Boy, and That's Concentrated Evil Coming out the Back of You'.
Zak

Re: 557/34

Post by Zak »

SandRider wrote:maybe its a literary metaphor for KJA's improvements to Frank's Dune ....

haha awesome!
lotek

Re: Rather Disturbing question but...

Post by lotek »

astronauts use this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Absorbency_Garment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eliminating Waste
Each spacewalking astronaut wears a large, absorbent diaper called a Maximum Absorption Garment (MAG) to collect urine and feces while in the space suit. The astronaut disposes the MAG when the spacewalk is over and he/she gets dressed in regular work clothes.
A powdery chemical absorbant called sodium polyacrylate is incorporated into the fabric of the garment. Sodium polyacrylate can absorb around four hundred times its weight in water.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Arrrmanda

Re: Rather Disturbing question but...

Post by Arrrmanda »

Is that the stuff the janitor used to use to clean up barf in elementary school?