Rather Disturbing question but...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sole Man

Rather Disturbing question but...

Post by Sole Man »

...What happens to the Fremen women when they get thier "Time of the month?"

I figured this question has been many times before, but not by me, so I asked.

Does anyone know? Is there any mention in the books? Do they have some kind of way to reduce bleeding to the bare minimum, or do they squat over buckets buckets and drip it all down into there, and then drink it?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I imagine they just bleed into the stillsuit and it takes care of the rest. :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The fremen had biological differences that allowed them fast coagulation when cut. Maybe there was a biological difference with menstruation too. Or maybe the stillsuit just took care of it. Kinda adds a new dimension to stillsuit water, no?

In any event, Im sure KJA has it on his priorty list of disgusting things to address in Jessica of Dune.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I imagine their menstruation is very light, but I'm sure they take care of it similarly to how we do now.

:roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Simon

Post by Simon »

In the desert Fremen men don't cry and Fremen vagina's don't bleed. :shock:

:P :lol:
guild navigator

Post by guild navigator »

There's an entry in the DE that says women have a third processing unit in their stillsuits for it.
If I ever stopped writing, my head would explode.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:The fremen had biological differences that allowed them fast coagulation when cut. Maybe there was a biological difference with menstruation too. Or maybe the stillsuit just took care of it. Kinda adds a new dimension to stillsuit water, no?

In any event, Im sure KJA has it on his priorty list of disgusting things to address in Jessica of Dune.
Why, don't you know it's the main reason they make stillsuits offworld nowadays?!
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Not having read the new "books," I'm rather curious as to what this ridiculous offworld stillsuit stuff is all about.

And yeah, the DE mentions the bit about menstruation, but right here on Earth when womens' bodies are dehydrated or undergoing some other form of stress, menstruation slows, lightens, or stops altogether. I would imagine the Fremen probably developed this trait, like the blood coagulation.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(The latest heresy, Paul of Dune, opens with Paul and the family tromping through the desert on their way to build Duke Leto's shrine, wearing stillsuits made by off-world manufacturers. Silly, pointless, wouldn't happen; nothing to worry about, in other words. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
EsperandoAGodot

But...why would people offworld make...ugh...head hurts.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Some shitty hack wrote: On their trek, Paul and his three companions wore new stillsuits covered by mottled cloaks to camouflage them in the desert. Though the garments looked well worn, they were actually finer than any Paul had used when he'd lived as a fugitive among the Fremen. Their makers claimed that these durable offworld imports were superior to the simpler versions that had traditionally been made in hidden sietches.

The manufacturers mean well, he thought. They do it to show their support for me, without realizing the implied criticism in their "improvements."
We kicked this one around in one of the PoD threads back in September, before you joined. Anything not manufactured in the sietches was inferior and the Fremen would never rely on them. They're off to build a shrine to a family member: why wouldn't they wear their usual stillsuits? It doesn't make sense on any level.
SandRider
Watermaster

557/34

Post by SandRider »

maybe its a literary metaphor for KJA's improvements to Frank's Dune ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What, a Fremen bint's menstrual flow?

Yeah, that sounds about right. ;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:It doesn't make sense on any level.
Dreadful writing, too. It's like a travelogue written by an 13-year-old ESL student.

People actually pay money to read pages and pages of that, too. Quite honestly, it's just baffling.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
EsperandoAGodot

I suppose there's no possibility he means the cloaks?

(I know that wouldn't make sense in context but it'd be less stupid...)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Someone (I forget who) suggested that, but like you point out, in context it doesn't make much sense. Like, how much more complex or improved can a cloak be? And their stillsuits are specifically called "new".

Nope, I'm afraid this is just more KJA bullshit. And the sad thing is, it's not in any way relevant to anything else. (They don't somehow get lost in the desert and have their lives threatened because they're wearing "improved" offworld suits, for example.) Unless somehow he intends it as another example of the growing laxity of the Fremen as they adjust to their new role as rulers and city dwellers?

Nah! :P
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:Someone (I forget who) suggested that, but like you point out, in context it doesn't make much sense. Like, how much more complex or improved can a cloak be? And their stillsuits are specifically called "new".

Nope, I'm afraid this is just more KJA bullshit. And the sad thing is, it's not in any way relevant to anything else. (They don't somehow get lost in the desert and have their lives threatened because they're wearing "improved" offworld suits, for example.) Unless somehow he intends it as another example of the growing laxity of the Fremen as they adjust to their new role as rulers and city dwellers?

I know you're joking, but the Fremen wouldn't have become that lax just a year after defeating Shaddam. The Fremen are very much tradition-bound; it would've taken more than just Paul's ascendancy to the Imperial Throne to change their attitudes, especially where the desert is concerned.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleszer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Someone (I forget who) suggested that, but like you point out, in context it doesn't make much sense. Like, how much more complex or improved can a cloak be? And their stillsuits are specifically called "new".

I know you're joking, but the Fremen wouldn't have become that lax just a year after defeating Shaddam. The Fremen are very much tradition-bound; it would've taken more than just Paul's ascendancy to the Imperial Throne to change their attitudes, especially where the desert is concerned.
There were examples of that in FH's books but they didn't involve off-world stillsuits. Off-world people were wearing imitation stilsuits and the Fremen, by CoD, were makingthem without hoods.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
There were examples of that in FH's books but they didn't involve off-world stillsuits. Off-world people were wearing imitation stilsuits and the Fremen, by CoD, were makingthem without hoods.
which is of course, quite a few years after the beginning of Pile of Dung, after the Jihad, after exposure to the rest of the galaxy etc.. i don't see the water rituals being relaxed so soon.

another example that the big picture doesnt matter for KJA, the only truth is that which occurs in the current paragraph (or sentence)
Farok was bitching in DM that there was dust in his house, which meant moisture was getting out and about how the newest generation was less disciplined.

So I'd say the Fremen relaxation of moisture discipline was just starting in DM.
~Pink Snowman
EsperandoAGodot

SandChigger wrote:Unless somehow he intends it as another example of the growing laxity of the Fremen as they adjust to their new role as rulers and city dwellers?

Actually, from Paul's reflection in that quote, it seems as if he's doing it to acknowledge the offworlders' veneration, but since it also doesn't sound like anyone's looking, at the time, I don't see why he'd see the idea of someone seeing him wearing a shitty stillsuit was more important than not dying in the desert.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I guess when you become Emperor of the Known Universe product placement becomes an important consideration. ;)

It's just bullshit, but I'm sure Kevin has a perfect explanation for it. (yawn)
EsperandoAGodot

SandChigger wrote:I guess when you become Emperor of the Known Universe product placement becomes an important consideration. ;)

It's just bullshit, but I'm sure Kevin has a perfect explanation for it. (yawn)
I mean, the explanation is built in, but it's a bullshit explanation. Product placement would be important if it was a public appearance and not sandwalking. For the sake of making my heard hurt less, is Paul at least off to go build with a bunch of powerful offworld contractors, rather than natives, pilgrims, and Fremen?

How is he being paid to write and I'm not? The fact that I'm an undergrad shouldn't matter, considering...
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:How is he being paid to write and I'm not? The fact that I'm an undergrad shouldn't matter, considering...
KJA is a Pro. He gets paid to do anything and everything the man in the car wants.
EsperandoAGodot

Tleszer wrote:KJA is a Pro. He gets paid to do anything and everything the man in the car wants.
The men that pick him up on the corner?
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:
Tleszer wrote:KJA is a Pro. He gets paid to do anything and everything the man in the car wants.
The men that pick him up on the corner?
Exactly!