Water Rings

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Worm

Water Rings

Post by Worm »

Been thinking of this for awhile and just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what they may have looked like? I am thinking of making some for an art project I'm doing. (Which I will show you when I'm done)

I was thinking of making some rings out of brass pipe, aluminum pipe and copper pipe. This way the different colors can represent different amounts, or water 'values'. If anyone has more knowledge or opinions about it, please share it.

"I was a friend of Arrakeen... but NOT Hypo."
HoosierDaddy

Re: Water Rings

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Worm wrote:Been thinking of this for awhile and just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what they may have looked like? I am thinking of making some for an art project I'm doing. (Which I will show you when I'm done)

I was thinking of making some rings out of brass pipe, aluminum pipe and copper pipe. This way the different colors can represent different amounts, or water 'values'. If anyone has more knowledge or opinions about it, please share it.
I always thought of water rings as coins. The ring part seemed an improvement so they could be tied together and not jingle when out on the desert. When in seitch, they could be displayed as ornaments.

Aluminum pipe/tube would be a good choice as it can be anodized in various colors. Knurled pipe would also give a nice appearance. Another idea would be to take regular coins and drill out the center (or make other geometric shapes). Any old golf club shafts could work too.
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Yeah, I always thought of them as kind of like cut off bits of pipe in different sizes to represent different amounts, something akin to copper.
I am a mortal god.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I always thought of them as small, smaller than a quarter, but made out of some heavy metal so that they don't get dinged out of shape, and tied on a string with knots between them so that they would not clang together.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I also pictured them very small, don't imagine Fremen would be wasting too much material on something that only represents something else.
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

I always pictured different sizes representing different amounts, rather than different colors or materials.

The image I always had was when they are wrapped up to be carried, the different sizes were stacked fitting inside eachother concentrically. This would allow them to be wrapped up to not jingle, while making a nice, compact little bundle that is easy to carry.
More fitting, i think, than an image of a Fremen with a "janitor's keyring" style water-ring bundle.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
Worm

Post by Worm »

The Terminology guide in my Dune book just says thay are metal rings of various sizes, which represent different water amounts. I wouldn't think that there would be a lot of available metal on Dune. So I wonder what would be a good metal to represent them. Perhaps plain iron. So maybe some old gas pipes of various diameters would be best to make them.

Does anyone remember what they looked like in the film or mini-series?

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't recall them being shown in either.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I don't recall them being shown in either.
same, but i vaguely remember a passage in dune where it describes chani showing paul how to make them non-clinkable while travelling. definitely different sizes
IT was after Jamis' funeral:

Chani took the largest ring, held it on a finger. "Thirty liters," she said.
One by one, she took the others, showing each to Paul, counting them. "Two
liters; one liter; seven watercounters of one drachm each; one watercounter of
three-thirty-seconds drachms. In all--thirty-three liters and seven and threethirty-
seconds drachms."
She held them up on her finger for Paul to see.
"Do you accept them?" Stilgar asked.
Paul swallowed, nodded. "Yes."
"Later," Chani said, "I will show you how to tie them in a kerchief so they
won't rattle and give you away when you need silence." She extended her hand.
"Will you . . . hold them for me?" Paul asked.
Chani turned a startled glance on Stilgar.
He smiled, said, "Paul-Muad'Dib who is Usul does not yet know our ways,
Chani. Hold his watercounters without commitment until it's time to show him the
manner of carrying them."
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Worm

Post by Worm »

I found this on the net:

http://darkartistry.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... y-set.html

Some guy made them for Second Life jewelry. I imagine this is pretty close to how they would have been incorporated into wearable jewelry for Fremen women. But wouldn't that be like touting your wealth in public?

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

i think they looked alot like these

EDIT: wait..nm....i took the link off...damn underage forum visitors
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
waff

Post by waff »

Tyrant wrote:i think they looked alot like these

EDIT: wait..nm....i took the link off...damn underage forum visitors
I think I know what you were looking at! :wink:

Google Image "gates of hell" and, well, it's not the Rodin doors!
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

I'd be surprised if modern day bedouins and other cultures didn't have a similar concept. Often, precious metals aren't just hoarded for wealth but made useful or at least decorative. If they need to be used in trade, so be it.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

I've always thought they would be a dull metal, something that doesn't reflect light and can be easily hidden in the open desert.
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Probably made of a spice by product.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
ahnnah

Post by ahnnah »

I have some stuff that looks about right to me, though small. I picked them up in a craft store. I have dreadlocks and they are decorated with various items, including my 'water rings'. Coming from a standpoint of someone who actually wears trinkets in their hair--- any little bit of weight is felt profoundly. If the women were actually weaving them into their braids or what not, I would expect that they would be rather small and of varying diameter. In the books though, I believe they are described as weaving them into kerchiefs or scarves.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

They keep them in the scarves for noise discipline, wear them in their hair for weddings.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Good point about the weight issue, I remember back when I had all kinds of junk in my dreads that there definitely was a limit to how much weight I could put on them before it'd drive me nuts.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I had dreads between the time I dropped out of college, ran away from home and joined the army. That barber had such a big smile on his face. That was when my dabble in pacifism ended.
~Pink Snowman