Paul's Knife Duel With Jamis

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

chanilover

Paul's Knife Duel With Jamis

Post by chanilover »

I don't know if this belongs here or not, but this is more a general question about stillsuits, so maybe it does.

We all know that stillsuits recycle bodily wastes, but when Paul and Jamis strip off for their duel, they're wearing loincloths underneath their suits. I would have thought they'd have been naked underneath their suits, how else would their bodily wastes have found their way into the right compartments of the stillsuit unless there were connections to the relevant orifices?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The only thing I can come up with is that there was a quick release catheter and anal poop pipe that the bastard censors cut from the final novel .
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

inhuien wrote:The only thing I can come up with is that there was a quick release catheter and anal poop pipe that the bastard censors cut from the final novel .
:shock:
This is probably the only time I agree with the censors!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

"Jamis stepped into the ring, slipped out of his robe and tossed it to someone in the crowd. He stood there in a cloudy gray slickness of stillsuit that was patched and marked by tucks and gathers. For a moment, he bent with his mouth to his shoulder, drinking from a catchpocket tube. Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."

Dune, page 240, Chilton first edition 1965

It doesn't really say they wore the loincloth underneath the skillsuit. He could have put it on after taking the stillsuit off.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
orald

Post by orald »

Serkanner wrote:"Jamis stepped into the ring, slipped out of his robe and tossed it to someone in the crowd. He stood there in a cloudy gray slickness of stillsuit that was patched and marked by tucks and gathers. For a moment, he bent with his mouth to his shoulder, drinking from a catchpocket tube. Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."
That sounds like it's more than a simple matter of pulling it off. "Detached" means it was connected...probably the "quick release catheter and anal poop pipe" mentioned earlier.

Well, ok, a catheter isn't needed, what inhuien probably means is a pipe to piss in like the astraunauts use(though bugger me with thumper if I know what female astronauts use :? ).
What I can't imagine(though I've thought of it before with no solution) is how the fecies get to their pockets.
Forced to find an answer now, I hypotethize it should be a "crouchless diper(sp?)", meaning that the part where the poop goes is gone(also of course a hole for the penis-tube) and instead it slids right into the pockets, I can't see any other solution except a pipe shoved right up there, which seems unlikely to say the least*.

I imagine pooping has to done while crouching, since that's the only anatomically feasable way for a human not to crap down on himself(and I think it's just much more natural and efficient).
Still there's the question of how to avoid fecies sticking and fouling the surrounding area, but I think I can picture a workable system, perhaps involving the Fremen tightening the anal area around his buttocks so it's not loose and directly below for the fecies to drop without spilling over anywhere. Then when he/she stands up, the fecies stay in the bottom of the pocket(which naturally stretches and straightens with the rest of the throusers.
Imagine how pockets on your throusers look like when you're sitting and standing, so if you put a key while sitting(the fabric being lax and the opening wide) it slids down and gets anchored in place when standing.

Ok, you can all puke now.

*Though it would explain why all Fremen are so anal. :lol:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Mr. F Herbert In his sci-fi epic DUNE wrote:Kynes knelt, examined the leg seals. "Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads,"
Now a far more realistic, IMO, option would be for them to peepee and poopoo out with of their stillsuit and to transfer it to the processing thigh pads. One must remember that most of their toilet needs would be carried out in the safety of the seitch where I'm certain the seitch would have it's own sewage reclamation system.

edir to add,

I would like to thank ChaniLover for giving me this opportunity to ponder the darker side of Fremen life.

Freakzilla we REALLY need that pukey smiley now, please.
orald

Post by orald »

A Fremen scouting/raiding party can't depend on having sietch toilets available out in the open desert, nor do I think sandworms come with one built-in. :P

I think what I described is fairly accurate considering there aren't many ways to make such a suit for humans.
I wonder who gets the job of cleaning suits though. :shock:
Ok, ok, everyone cleans his/her own suit, I know, but the other way sounds funnier.

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

orald wrote:A Fremen scouting/raiding party can't depend on having sietch toilets available out in the open desert, nor do I think sandworms come with one built-in. :P
You’re correct of course they wouldn’t take along a portaloo with them but how long would a raiding party be away from the seitch for? A few days at most I’d imagine and given the Freman’s other Biological adaptation to life on Arrakis crossing their legs for a few days seems modest.
Tyrant

Re: Paul's Knife Duel With Jamis

Post by Tyrant »

chanilover wrote:I don't know if this belongs here or not, but this is more a general question about stillsuits, so maybe it does.

We all know that stillsuits recycle bodily wastes, but when Paul and Jamis strip off for their duel, they're wearing loincloths underneath their suits. I would have thought they'd have been naked underneath their suits, how else would their bodily wastes have found their way into the right compartments of the stillsuit unless there were connections to the relevant orifices?
lol..i've wondered this for so long
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

orald wrote:
Serkanner wrote:"Jamis stepped into the ring, slipped out of his robe and tossed it to someone in the crowd. He stood there in a cloudy gray slickness of stillsuit that was patched and marked by tucks and gathers. For a moment, he bent with his mouth to his shoulder, drinking from a catchpocket tube. Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."
That sounds like it's more than a simple matter of pulling it off. "Detached" means it was connected...probably the "quick release catheter and anal poop pipe" mentioned earlier.

Well, ok, a catheter isn't needed, what inhuien probably means is a pipe to piss in like the astraunauts use(though bugger me with thumper if I know what female astronauts use :? ).
What I can't imagine(though I've thought of it before with no solution) is how the fecies get to their pockets.
Forced to find an answer now, I hypotethize it should be a "crouchless diper(sp?)", meaning that the part where the poop goes is gone(also of course a hole for the penis-tube) and instead it slids right into the pockets, I can't see any other solution except a pipe shoved right up there, which seems unlikely to say the least*.

I imagine pooping has to done while crouching, since that's the only anatomically feasable way for a human not to crap down on himself(and I think it's just much more natural and efficient).
Still there's the question of how to avoid fecies sticking and fouling the surrounding area, but I think I can picture a workable system, perhaps involving the Fremen tightening the anal area around his buttocks so it's not loose and directly below for the fecies to drop without spilling over anywhere. Then when he/she stands up, the fecies stay in the bottom of the pocket(which naturally stretches and straightens with the rest of the throusers.
Imagine how pockets on your throusers look like when you're sitting and standing, so if you put a key while sitting(the fabric being lax and the opening wide) it slids down and gets anchored in place when standing.

Ok, you can all puke now.

*Though it would explain why all Fremen are so anal. :lol:
lmfao :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I wonder if FH ever imagined that people would contemplate the poop factor?
orald

Post by orald »

Oh no! I just remembered a crucial piece of evidence that shows they do indeed have portalooes!
:lol:

Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Hehe, now that's fucking classic right there :lol:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Mandy wrote:I wonder if FH ever imagined that people would contemplate the poop factor?

I think he never imagined that scatological humor would be that big one day... :shock:

PS : +1 on that pukin smiley needed after the comment from Orald.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't know, but this has come up in every Dune forum. Poop is just funny.
orald

Post by orald »

Considering a stillsuit is one of the icons of Dune, he should've realized generations to come would ponder at its practical workings.
It's like the design of 'thopters discussion, it's elemental to Dune.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't know, but this has come up in every Dune forum. Poop is just funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyone_Poops

(Some of my friends back home found out about this book somehow and gave me a copy as a gag gift one Xmas.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

We have a couple of Taro Gomi books at home. They are generally pretty good. That one my kids love.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

Yea, I love books about shit, that's why I reread all of P&B's works non-stop! :lol:
Last edited by orald on 12 Mar 2008 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I don't know, but this has come up in every Dune forum. Poop is just funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyone_Poops

(Some of my friends back home found out about this book somehow and gave me a copy as a gag gift one Xmas.)
With friends like that ... who needs enemies?

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Its a cute book. There's another series for girls about someone named Purdence, and they are cute too.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

What the fuck have you people done to my thread about stillsuits? I was imagining Paul and Jamis getting hot and sweaty on the fighting floor and you're talking about a children's book about animal shit.
orald

Post by orald »

Man, you're sick, Chanilover! :?

Have you forgotten Fremen don't bloody BATH, like...EVER?
Jamis would friggin' reek to the sky! My dick falls off just to think about it! :shock:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Guys...like...TMI already. :wink:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote::shock:

Guys...like...TMI already. :wink:
Jeez ... now I have to ask. What does TMI stand for and do I really want to know it?

and wrote a Dune Novel."