Water from the statue

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Spacing Guild

Water from the statue

Post by Spacing Guild »

Not sure if this has been addressed already, but here goes:

In the miniseries, after Paul drinks the Water of Life and addresses the Fremen, there's the spat where they want him to invoke Amtal on Stilgar but he refuses, reminding them how stupid it would be. He then puts on the Duke's ring and then they start chanting "Muad'Dib". Then either a look of relief or disappointment flashes across Paul's face, not really sure which, before he makes the water flow from the hands of the statue.

I know it's not in the book, but thoughts on the significance of this? Is it to show that he's more than their military leader, but their Guide? Perhaps he did it to remind them not to channel their fanaticism into just their militarisitc aggressions as evident by their chanting? Also how would it be possible? Does Paul suddenly have teleportation/conjuration powers now?
Corpus Luminis Praenuntiantis
Quilibet, Quolibet, Quandolibet
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Re: Water from the statue

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

This question is more suitedfor the Dune Media section than The Fremen section, but I'll answer it as best I can.

I interpret Paul's sudden manifestation of water from the statue's hands in the miniseries as a low key homage to the rain scene in Lynch's Dune. The spontaneous manifestation of water falling anywhere on Arrakis in both films is a demonstration of the awesomeness of Paul's messianic powers to his Fremen followers. I would say that Paul's face was more of an indication that he's become absolutely superhuman and way beyond his fellow humans. His water act was also his way of confirming at the last minute that he is their messiah to ensure their universal loyalty to himself (fitting well with Herbert's theme of superheroes playing God).

As much as I wish Paul's newfound power after recovering from The Water of Life granted him unlimited teleportation abilities, that's sadly not the case. If he was able to teleport, he wouldn't have had to rely on atomics to break through the Shield Wall, he wouldn't have needed to ride worms, he would have used teleportation to his advantage against Feyd, etc.

Even though he may have the ability to instantly manifest water on Arrakis, his superpowers are actually rather limited in both novels and films. It's all about the fragility of the futuristic biblical superhero in Herbert's world.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky