Hunting sandworms?

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Hunting sandworms?

Post by SandChigger »

Is there anything you can think of in the books that implies the Fremen hunted sandworms? (Other than capturing and keeping the small, stunted worms for the WoL/spice orgy, that is.)

Some tit over on Twitter mentioned feeling like he was a Fremen "hunting Shai-Hulud" and when I pointed out that they didn't do that, he replied that they did, but only to catch and release, like for sport or something. I'm pretty sure this is just McDune bullshit (there's the crap about a Fremen guide taking Rabban to hunt one, and killing it with explosives only to have it dissolve into sandtrout), but I just wanted to be absolutely sure. I can't find anything in FH's books to support it. (And I asked him for a quote/citation.)
Apjak

Re: Hunting sandworms?

Post by Apjak »

The only thing even that even remotely makes sense to me is that they captured sandworms for transportation. The word hunting implies killing, so the stunted worms for spice-orgy wouldn't have been hunted, but rather, trapped.

Also, as a fremen, I find the phrase "hunting Shai-Hulud" to be heresy.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Utter bullshit. They wouldn't have killed adult sandworms even if they could.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Looks like we're on the same page, so far. ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The Cast Out captured LIVE worms for off-world sale and kept them in canyons inside their mesa basin.

Wasn't there a bit somewhere about having to electrocute each individual worm segment to kill a worm? DE perhaps?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I think the electrocution method was mentioned in Messiah.

EDIT:

It was Dune, Liet said it, as a way to preserve a sandworm.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote:The Cast Out captured LIVE worms for off-world sale and kept them in canyons inside their mesa basin.
But that still is in no way consistent with this:
BL1Y BL1Y
@DuneSandChigger The Fremen did in fact hunt the worms. It was catch and release, but still hunting.
31 Dec
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

No, they never "hunted" them. Even the worms they got the teeth from for knives were found dead.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This is yet another perfect example of the skewed view that the unaware/unthinking get of Dune from reading the McDune shit. :(
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

Could it be that this guy completely misunderstood the Fremen's use of sandworms as a mean of transportation? It's the "catch and release" line that makes me think so. Obviously it's utter nonsense, since the Fremen certainly didn't do this "for sport" :shock:

Rymoah
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah... OK.

Yeah, that does make sense. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Maybe he was thinking of Paul's test of manhood, but even then they rode it somewhere afterwards.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

In CoD, children 'hunted' sandtrout...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Regardless, the guy has comprehension issues. Probably why he likes McDune.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Rymoah wrote:Could it be that this guy completely misunderstood the Fremen's use of sandworms as a mean of transportation? It's the "catch and release" line that makes me think so. Obviously it's utter nonsense, since the Fremen certainly didn't do this "for sport" :shock:

Rymoah
That's giving them too much credit. I'm sure the average preek who is watching the debate is thinking more of the sandworm battle in The Battle of Corrin and less of Paul's test. That's just the way the preek mind works; it takes the path of least resistance towards knowledge.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

That's just the way the preek mind works; it takes the path of least resistance towards knowledge.
sig worthy ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008