Fremen Numbers

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sudrak al-Salik

Fremen Numbers

Post by Sudrak al-Salik »

Hi All.
I would ask a question for those who know more than me about the fremen numbers.
By my Extracts Data I found these numbers: «shuc [one], ishcai [two], qimsa [three], chuascu [four], picha [five], suchta [six]...(Children of Dune - chapter 16).
There are others...?
Thanks... :)
"Madness in method, that's genius"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Fremen Numbers

Post by SandChigger »

"You know how he counts?" Stilgar had asked her. "I heard him counting coins as he paid his guide. It's very strange to my Fremen ears, and that's a terrible thing. He counts 'shuc, ishcai, qimsa, chuascu, picha, sucta, and so on. I've not heard counting like that since the old days in the desert."
Hadn't gotten as far as numbers yet, unfortunately. They don't look like Arabic derivatives (other than qimsa). Herbert evidently used Serbian and Romany for Chakobsa, so maybe that's where they come from?

Just found this googling "Romany numbers"...
Yek, Dui, trini, shtar, pansh, shuk. ( some say show but shuk ora means sixpence) eft, oct, enya, desh.
(Note also that it appears that "RomanyJib" is how you say Romany in Romany; as in Bhotani Jib.)

(Could this be evidence of the Jacurutu dialect? ;) )
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

'Jib' means 'tongue' in some Indian dialects.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

Googling for "ishcai" I have found a reference in the Webster Online Dictionary where it says that in Ecuadorian Quechua the term means "two". Looking further in Google for "ishcai quechua" I've found this interesting page... :)
Wikitravel wrote:
Numbers
in Ecuadorian Quichua
(shuc)
(ishcai)
(quimsa)
(chuscu)
(pichca)
(sucta)
(canchis)
(pusac)
(iscun)
(chunca)
(chunca shuc)
(chunca ishcai)
(chunca quimsa)
(chunca chuscu)
(chunca pichca)
(chunca sucta)
(chunca canchis)
(chunca pusac)
('ishcai iscun)
(ishcai chunca)

Rymoah
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Nice work!

I guess that means that Fremen have no concept of zero? ;)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Didn't Arabs invent zero? Maybe "invent" is the wrong word.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Quechua?! WTF?! :shock:

:doh:

But hey, maybe I was right about the Jacurutu dialect: the Jacurutu is a river in South America, where the Inca hung out, right? :lol:
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Freakzilla wrote:Didn't Arabs invent zero? Maybe "invent" is the wrong word.
It was Indian mathematicians who first asserted that zero was in fact a number and treated it as such in their calculations (other cultures knew about zero, but argued whether it was a number and had use beyond place holding or used it in obscure calculations). Indian mathematicians also gifted to us our decimal-based notation.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Slugger wrote:
It was Indian mathematicians who first asserted that zero was in fact a number and treated it as such in their calculations (other cultures knew about zero, but argued whether it was a number and had use beyond place holding or used it in obscure calculations). Indian mathematicians also gifted to us our decimal-based notation.
That seems to happen fairly often e.g irrational numbers, imaginary numbers etc.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Slugger wrote:
That seems to happen fairly often e.g irrational numbers, imaginary numbers etc.
What does?

And if you want to get technical, didn't the Mayans have a symbol for zero before the Hindu?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:
Slugger wrote:
What does?

And if you want to get technical, didn't the Mayans have a symbol for zero before the Hindu?
I meant the bit I put in bold. I don't know much about the history of zero.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

@SadisticCynic:

Yeah, it seems that the introduction of any type of number beyond the natural numbers (i.e., the counting numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4,...etc) has been met with arguments about how to define it. Heck, even today mathematicians still argue over this stuff (e.g. "Should zero be included as a natural number?").
Freakzilla wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:
Slugger wrote:
What does?

Well, there's a difference between having a symbol representing the concept of zero (i.e. a null set) and having a "zero" in the sense that you can perform mathematical operations with. The Romans and Greeks knew about the concept of "zero" and had a symbol for it, and I believe the Greeks used it as a placeholder. Roman mathematics didn't really require the concept of a zero-number, as mathematical functions weren't performed the same way with their Numerals (i.e. 2-2 = 0, but our method of calculating the difference is different than the method the Romans employed).

I can't really speak about the Mayan's and their math, but I believe reading somewhere that they did in fact have a symbol for zero. If you go by chronological order, then the Mayans may predate the Hindu in the use of a zero-symbol, but for use in mathematical functions the Indians were the first to employ the zero-number (because of how they wrote numbers, i.e. their decimal notation).
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Not to get off-topic, but if you're interested Freak:

http://turner.faculty.swau.edu/mathemat ... ary/roman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That succinctly explains how to perform basic arithmetic with Roman Numerals. You don't really "need" a zero.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Slugger wrote:(i.e. a null set)
The empty set? Now we're getting into really fun maths. 8)

In the modern definition of naturals I think we need to start from zero, if we want to build them in a straightforward fashion. But it is certainly an interesting question, and outside set theory all my maths classes have used the naturals as starting from 1.
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Slugger wrote:(i.e. a null set)
The empty set? Now we're getting into really fun maths. 8)
I had the same older prof for a couple of math courses and he referred to the empty set as the null set. I should be more precise in my terminology. I wanted to take a course in discrete math but it unfortunately wouldn't fit into my schedule.
SadisticCynic wrote:In the modern definition of naturals I think we need to start from zero, if we want to build them in a straightforward fashion. But it is certainly an interesting question, and outside set theory all my maths classes have used the naturals as starting from 1.
I'm a bit ambivalent on this subject. It makes sense to include zero in the natural numbers, but when counting objects you generally don't start at 0.
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

Slugger wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:In the modern definition of naturals I think we need to start from zero, if we want to build them in a straightforward fashion. But it is certainly an interesting question, and outside set theory all my maths classes have used the naturals as starting from 1.
I'm a bit ambivalent on this subject. It makes sense to include zero in the natural numbers, but when counting objects you generally don't start at 0.
As far as I know, this matter is heavily application-dependent. The construction of natural numbers works both if you start from 0 or 1. It is sufficient to change the first Peano's axiom ("It exists a natural number, 0"; "It exists a natural number, 1"), then the recursive building with the successor function works in the same way. So, it depends upon which kind of algebraic structure you want to give to the natural numbers. For example, if you need a multiplicative monoid, starting from 1 is sufficient; if you need an additive group, the 0 is necessary.

As for Hunchback's original question "I guess that means that Fremen have no concept of zero", I agree with Slugger... In the context of the quote reported by SandChigger, the aim was clearly typical counting, and normally you start from 1 (unless you are an engineer or a computer scientist! :D) Maybe Palimbasha knew the answer ^___^

Rymoah
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Having zero liters of water would be a problem.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

As far as I know, this matter is heavily application-dependent. The construction of natural numbers works both if you start from 0 or 1. It is sufficient to change the first Peano's axiom ("It exists a natural number, 0"; "It exists a natural number, 1"), then the recursive building with the successor function works in the same way. So, it depends upon which kind of algebraic structure you want to give to the natural numbers. For example, if you need a multiplicative monoid, starting from 1 is sufficient; if you need an additive group, the 0 is necessary.
Hmmm, you're right of course. I was thinking of the set theoretic definition which identifies the empty set with the number zero. I suppose one could start with 1 in this way as well, but it might make the extensions to other number systems more cumbersome.

(I didn't know what a monoid was, so you've given me some extra reading to do. Thanks! :D )
Slugger wrote:I had the same older prof for a couple of math courses and he referred to the empty set as the null set. I should be more precise in my terminology. I wanted to take a course in discrete math but it unfortunately wouldn't fit into my schedule.
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the terminology; I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I have the same problems with schedules. Want to take more Pure Maths but have no choices available. :(