JamisJanusJamis

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

inhuien

JamisJanusJamis

Post by inhuien »

In another thread Sandy wrote.
if Paul dies at any blind nexus between the fight with Jamis and his ascension to the Imperial Throne,
the Fremen rage out from Dune in His Name, and the Jihad is as horrible as his most dire visions ...
I've been intrigued by the absolute pivotal role played by Jamis for years now, has anyone else noticed the similarity of his name and personification with the Roman God Janus, the god of beginnings and transitions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: JamisJanusJamis

Post by SandRider »

I'd never made that connection ... interesting point & probably valid (whether or not Frank intended that, or if
that is a connection solely of the reader's making ...) But surely, Jamis is one of the unique characters in literature;
such a small, short part in the narrative, yet such a huge presence thru-out the remainder of the novel (and the series)

maybe sometime in the future, the SandChigger can take a look at it; weigh-in on what the possible origins of Jamis'
name might be ... (also: WTF w/ calling me "Sandy" all of sudden ? it tosses my mind immediately to a wild summer
night on a New Jersey beach, John Travolta singing a song about some blonde Australian chick and slamming his dick
in a car door ...)
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider wrote: (also: WTF w/ calling me "Sandy" all of sudden ? it tosses my mind immediately to a wild summer
night on a New Jersey beach, John Travolta singing a song about some blonde Australian chick and slamming his dick
in a car door ...)
'Twas merely an affectation, would ending ie instead of y stop yer horny reminiscing
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Could be a big coincidence, but knowing FH's love of messing with relevant words and sneaking them in, that'd be such a coincidence that in my opinion it's more likely you've hit the nail on the head.

I don't know that we need the linguist on this one, simply because FH tended to just mash words to make them different but leave a hint of the original in there. Look at Kefitzat Haderech to kwisatz haderach, probably no real linguistic technique to it, he just mashed em up until he liked em.

Chig can of course feel free to contradict me on that!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I suppose that in this twittified, abbreviated innerwebz kulture I've been forced to deal with, the nomenclature of "SR" is acceptable,
altho I would prefer my complete sietch-name of "SandRider" when addressed directly, and "The SandRider" when discussed in the
third person; I also respond positively to "Major" ... at one time, I also responded positively to "Boss", until under-aged bartenders
began over-using that one ... "What'll ya have, Boss ?" ... if I'm the Boss ... you're fired ....

ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Now we'll all be thinking of you as Sandy baby :P
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider wrote:I suppose that in this twittified, abbreviated innerwebz kulture I've been forced to deal with, the nomenclature of "SR" is acceptable,
altho I would prefer my complete sietch-name of "SandRider" when addressed directly, and "The SandRider" when discussed in the
third person;[/youtube]
Cool, for what's worth I'll refrain from It's use.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Is Major Sandrider acceptable?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Major Colonel SandRider, SIR! Your will, my hands.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Look you guys, stop beating about the bush, It's obvious this was an unvoiced plea from the heart. Sir, you shall be Bashar Sand the Rider, arise and mount your steed (donkey).
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Anyhoos, in an attempt to halt this drift. Jamis, hot or not?
A Thing of Eternity

I should have mentioned before too - even on my first read of Dune, I thought Jamis's name was out of place, didn't really seem like a Fremen name. That's why when you proposed this idea I jumped on it more or less completely, because it not only makes sense, it could also explain why this Fremen had a name that seemed odd to me.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I should have mentioned before too - even on my first read of Dune, I thought Jamis's
Jamis' :P
name was out of place, didn't really seem like a Fremen name. That's why when you proposed this idea I jumped on it more or less completely, because it not only makes sense, it could also explain why this Fremen had a name that seemed odd to me.
Was it any more odd than Chatt the Leaper?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I should have mentioned before too - even on my first read of Dune, I thought Jamis's
Bah!
name was out of place, didn't really seem like a Fremen name. That's why when you proposed this idea I jumped on it more or less completely, because it not only makes sense, it could also explain why this Fremen had a name that seemed odd to me.
Jamis just sounds way too European to me, but then again I'm no expert. It just seemed really out of place.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Bah!
Jamis just sounds way too European to me, but then again I'm no expert. It just seemed really out of place.
I kind of liked it since it was so close to my name, James.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Bah!
I kind of liked it since it was so close to my name, James.
Well, it's not close to Alan at ALL so I liked it less than you! (I actually liked the name just fine, but it seemed as out of place as if one of the Atreides was named Masaharu, or Singh!)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

JAY-muss, JAH-muss, juh-MISS, or Yah-muss ?

>> first one to toss out Frank's tired old "pronunciation don't mean dick" line
from the McNelly Interview gets Crysknife in Eye ... <<
ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:JAY-muss, JAH-muss, juh-MISS, or Yah-muss ?

>> first one to toss out Frank's tired old "pronunciation don't mean dick" line
from the McNelly Interview gets Crysknife in Eye ... <<
I pronounce it JAH-miss/JAY-miss. Not sure about that first sylable, I guess.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

I've always thought of it as "jay-miss" or "jaym-us", that's just my brain looking at the A followed by a single consonant followed by another vowel though, which doesn't always apply obviously.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

ha.. I always say Jam-miss.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I've always seen it as Jay-miss.
Here's another question for you guys: How would his peers say his name? Maybe Ha-mees?
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

I could be wrong, but with all the Arabic influence the J I would think would remain a J, though that "ee" for the I does kinda sound like it could be right. I'm no good on this front, but I don't think I remember any Arabic J's becoming H's.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

At least, not outside The Andalus! :lol:
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

SandChigger wrote:At least, not outside The Andalus! :lol:
When in doubt, I always go with the Spanish pronunciation. :wink:
I bring nothing to the table.
Omphalos