Fremen for Dunies

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Fremen for Dunies

Post by SandChigger »

Basic Expressions

Achlan [wa-sachlan]! Welcome [and doubly welcome]! (Pronounce ch like in Scottish loch or German Bach)
Achlan [wa-sachlan] bik[a]/biki/bikum! Welcome to you! (masc/fem/plural)
Achlan [wa-sachlan] fi sitshina! Welcome to our sietch! (-na suffix means "our" on nouns and "us" on verbs; -i- inserted to break up consonant cluster)
Marhaba! Welcome!

Subakh ul kuhar. Ritual Fremen greeting: "Are you well?"
Subakh un nar. Ritual response: "I am well."

Aywa. Yes. (Naam also means "yes" but is more formal.)
La. No.

Ma ismak? / Ismak ei? What is your name?
Ismi .... My name is ....

Shukran [jazilan]! Thank you [very much]!
Afwan! You're welcome!/Don't mention it!

Khalas!/Kifaya Stop! Enough!

(Ana) asif/asfa! (I'm) sorry! (masc/fem) (Nahnu or ihna) asfin! (We're) sorry! (pl)
Khatai! / Ghaltati! My mistake/error! (My bad!)

[Mish] arif I [don't] know.
Mish mushkila! No problem!

Maassalama! See you later!

Mabruk! Congratulations! Alf Mabruk! A thousand congratulations!

Kalam farigh. Empty words, empty prattle.

ahbal fool(ish), dumbass. (fem: habla) (adjective & noun)

Ma hadha? What is this?
Ma dhalika? What is that?

New Post Index:

(Second vocabulary list here.)

Fremen Conlang subdomain now online (but still under construction) on HToD.
Last edited by SandChigger on 07 Jan 2011 06:09, edited 7 times in total.
lotek

Re: Fremen for Dunies

Post by lotek »

Shukran :D
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Outstanding! :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Great! :D Cool cover design, too :lol:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Well done mate! :clap:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(This is just the beginning. And as we all know, a beginning is the time... ;) )
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

You go Chigger! Jan Jan Jan!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nice!

Be sure to send Freakin Meow a copy ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:Nice!

Be sure to send Freakin Meow a copy ...
Which of his three comments would he respond with if he saw it:

A) Valid Point
B) Stay tuned...
C) [Edited by Almighty Moderator]

I'm guessing he'd go for D) and ignore it completely.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

He'd steal it and post it at DN without credit.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I figure that's what he'll end up doing with my new "Fremen & Arabic" resources page. (Did I post a note here about it, or just on the blog & over at FED2k? :? )

http://resources.hairyticksofdune.net/fremen.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I based it on the list on Khalid Baheyeldin's page (not all of his items are added in yet, because I'm still checking some), and romanized everything (since I assume that not everybody reads the Arabic alphabet). I also include some things that Khalid doesn't have; I believe he still hasn't actually read the books. I also disagree with a couple of his entries. (Presumptuous, yes?)
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Omphalos wrote:He'd steal it and post it at DN without credit.
Haha, that's very likely :lol:

On the other hand, he's bringing knowledge into the masses, who could be blamed for that? :roll:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, there's always some way to put a positive spin on the most heinous actions, eh? :lol:

Added a couple items to the OP list. :)

Here's an all-play question:

How do you say "Fremen" in Fremen?

Now, "The Terminology of the Imperium" tells us that Misr is "the historical Zensunni (Fremen) term for themselves: 'The People.'" And that "Fremen" itself is defined as "the free tribes of Arrakis, dwellers in the desert, remnants of the Zensunni Wanderers. ('Sand Pirates' according to the Imperial Dictionary.)"

I've been thinking of Misr (adjective: Misri/Misriyya) as almost a kind of sietch name for the entire Fremen people, something that they wouldn't willingly reveal or use in front of complete outsiders. Which leaves "Fremen" as how they would refer to themselves otherwise.

"Fremen" is not Arabic in origin. If FH really intended it to be derived from "free men", then we have to consider it as something like hobbit in Tolkien: a name translated from a fictional universe language (probably Galach) into English ("Free-men") and then "weathered" over time into a new form ("Fremen"). So the "real" Duniverse word would most likely not sound anything like "Fremen". But since we don't know the original Galach term or its descendent form, we'll just have to make do with "Fremen".

I originally started using Faraman/i, by analogy with the Arabic for Yemen/i: Yaman/i. (The extra A between the F & R is necessary because Arabic words can't begin with two consonants.) But recently I've started using Firmani, since it's a little more compact and looks more similar to "Fremen" (and I like the sound better :P ).

Another possibility is Ifrimani, but that's kind-of even weirder looking, right?

It doesn't have to be an either-or situation. I'm just curious as to which version people like better. :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

I like that one
Faraman/i
But if Fremen was the name they used for outsiders, wouldn't Faramani be a bit too close to Fremen to be a secret name?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

lotek wrote:I like that one
Faraman/i
But if Fremen was the name they used for outsiders, wouldn't Faramani be a bit too close to Fremen to be a secret name?
Freman was the name that they used to address themselves to outsiders, and unless I've missread Sandchiggers post Faramani is his speculation of how one could say Freman in Freman.

But then I could be having a Soina moment.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

lotek wrote:But if Fremen was the name they used for outsiders, wouldn't Faramani be a bit too close to Fremen to be a secret name?
If they called themselves Misr, then I don't think Fremen was a "secret" name. Also Stilgar refers to his tribesmen as "Druses", suggesting a particular religious alignment.

The question is, was "Fremen" a Galach word or not?
lotek

Post by lotek »

aw riiight :)

I thought it was the speculation of their own secret name :)

Must
Read
Again
To
Make
Sense
!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

MrFlibble wrote:
Omphalos wrote:He'd steal it and post it at DN without credit.
...he's bringing knowledge into the masses, who could be blamed for that? :roll:
I don't think he'd ever be accused of that.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

He might possibly do it by accident. But then again...

As far as "Fremen" being a Galach word, if you want to claim that it's derived from English free and men, then that's simply ridiculous and completely untenable after 20,000-plus years. (Of course, in a universe where you have people capable of accessing memories & languages thousands of years old, it's theoretically possible for someone to retrieve long-forgotten words & phrases, but even if the name were adopted by the Fremen after their Reverend Mothers achieved OM access, why would they, essentially Arabs, choose to self-identify using an English phrase?) If, instead, you derive it from something else and coincidentally end up with the sound sequence Fremen (whatever the underlying morphology), then sure, that's possible. It would just be a case of convergent linguistic evolution. :)
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

SandChigger wrote:As far as "Fremen" being a Galach word, if you want to claim that it's derived from English free and men, then that's simply ridiculous and completely untenable after 20,000-plus years.
No, my point was a bit different. For example, when Paul asks Hawat if they're going to meet the Fremen, he speaks Galach and uses a Galach word (I suppose). But do the Fremen use that word when they speak their own language? And if yes, was it borrowed from or into Galach?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Didn't they call themselves the Ichwan Bedwine?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Sorry, that was the "general you" there, not YOU specifically, MrFlibble. I'll check later to see how many times a Fremen uses "Fremen" to refer to Fremen. :) )

Ichwan Bedwine is literally just the "Brotherhood of Beduins" or "Beduin Brotherhood". It's only used twice outside the Terminology, when Stilgar welcomes Paul into the tribe and in connection with Jamis after his death (he deserves a funeral as one of their "brothers"). Misr appears in the books even less.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

By the way, regarding the idea that "Fremen" was actually a Galach word derived from English: I think such a possibility shouldn't be discarded (although certainly nothing in the books supports it). After all, modern languages have quite a few words borrowed from "dead" languages (with English generally having a very high number of Latin borrowings due to historical circumstances), and even some newly-coined words from old elements like automobile, so basically, if English in the Duniverse had been a high-esteemed literary language of the past (and there's no reason to believe it had not), and records of it were still accessible, then theoretically, there's nothing to preclude the possibility of borrowing an English word into Galach (which, being described as Inglo-Slavic, is a related language anyway) or creating a new word from English elements.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Point taken. I guess the only objection I see to that is the sheer span of time involved, compared to the few hundred years between Latin and English (if you count from the Middle Ages or Renaissance when Latin was the academic lingua franca). The Zensunni began their wanderings around 1,400 years before the Butlerian Jihad, IIRC, but even that's over 9,000 years from now.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Some more general vocabulary...

Post by SandChigger »

Vocabulary List

abara he/it crossed (a physical space)
akhra/ukhra (ukhar) adj other (m/f (pl))
al- the; initial vowel dropped after a vowel; L assimilates to some following consonants (D DH L N R S SH T TH Z)
athar-dud wormsign
bilad the bled
bint (banat) daughter (daughters); girl (girls)
faqat only
Ghafran! Pardon me!/I beg your pardon!
hal word indicating a question
hatta prep until, up to; adv even
ibn (banun) son (sons)
ila to
irq erg
janib (jawanib) side (sides)
kafir (kafirun) infidel (infidels); unbeliever(s).
kalb (kilab) dog (dogs); kalba (kalbat) bitch (bitches)
khara feces, shit
kus (kusat) vagina, "the sea-word"
lam + imperfect = negative past (perfect)
lana to us; we have ~ = (there is) to us ~
li for; li + (a)l + verbal noun = (in order) to infinitive: li-l-wusul (in order) to reach
limadha why?
ma which
min from
mithla like
Mumtaz! Excellent!
raa (yara) he saw (he sees); lam yara-hu he did not see/has not seen it
umm (ummahat) mother (mothers); ummak your mother
wasala he reached, arrived, got to; wusul verbal noun reaching, arriving, getting to
Ya ~! vocative particle; used when calling [to] someone by name. Ya Muad'Dib! "Muad'Dib!/O Muad'Dib!"

Grammar Note

To modify one noun using another, to show possession, etc., simply place one noun after the other:

ibn Farok "Farok's son/son of Farok"; bint Otheym "Otheym's daughter/daughter of Otheym"
Last edited by SandChigger on 01 Feb 2011 09:40, edited 4 times in total.