Memories may be stored on your DNA

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Illogical Banana

Memories may be stored on your DNA

Post by Illogical Banana »

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... nline-news

Thought you guys might enjoy this article.
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Oh no... here we go again.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

It's still an interesting topic...

My cellular memory is telling me that I should stay away from the Templars because they don't like assassins and that the Contact wishes that the Anti-Type was his mother. Still, how could an impressionable youth not be taken in by a redheaded goddess?

P.S. Video games may have rotted my brain.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Sole Man

on Genetic memroies

Post by Sole Man »

I like how they're just now putting out all this stuff on Genetic memories, when it was all well chronicled 40 or so years ago.

I was thinking about having a Genetic memoryplot-line in SOLE MAN where Jon (After hacing sex with his sister) can go back and talk to(The all wise and All knowing) Adolf Hitler. I cut it becuase it was too DUNE like.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Re: on Genetic memroies

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Sole Man wrote:...(The all wise and All knowing) Adolf Hitler.
man, you make me sick... :vomit:
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Herr Sloey wrote:Jon (After hacing sex with his sister)
you left that part in, right ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:roll:

The second commenter summed it up (emphasis mine):
Tue Dec 02 14:35:39 GMT 2008 by Matthys

It would not enable memories to be inherited as the changed DNA is only in the brain. Only DNA changes in the germ cells (sperm or egg cells) are inherited. Furthermore the DNA change does not hold the information of the memory, it merely tells the neurons to keep the memory that it's got.
Let's see, reading is what again? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sole Man

On Genetic memories

Post by Sole Man »

I like to make people sick.

Anyway, I always thought that when your cells copied themsevels, the genetic material copied its memories into the new cell. The same would go for sperm or egg cells, and since this is happening constantly the memories would be constantly updated. But most of you already thought this so why did I explain it?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Genetic material doesn't have "memories" like that. (Although I suppose someone could be tedious and argue that DNA is memory, in a sense.)

Anyway, the point is, it is thought that memory is stored in the synapses, the configurations between nerve cells in the brain. This article is about the storage of the structure of the synaptic connections ON the genes of the cells, so that those connections (and the memories they encode) can be maintained. It's not about recording the actual memories in the DNA.

And even if it were about that, there remains the problem of transporting the memory-storing DNA/genes from the brain to the reproductive cells.

(Most guys act like their brains are in their dicks, but that doesn't mean there's been a flow of brain matter down that way. ;) )
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Well, let's see if the clone or babies of that mouse remembers anything with the same test, should not be so hard to prove...
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Tleszer wrote:It's still an interesting topic...

My cellular memory is telling me that I should stay away from the Templars because they don't like assassins and that the Contact wishes that the Anti-Type was his mother. Still, how could an impressionable youth not be taken in by a redheaded goddess?

P.S. Video games may have rotted my brain.
Yes, assasins creed being one of them. :wink:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Sole Man

On what Chig said.

Post by Sole Man »

My Sadistic Girlfreind does think my brain is in my dick. She talks to it when I'm asleep.

But enough of that. I think Scientists who are older and wiser than with Ph.Ds are wrong. Wouldn't the meories just be stored in the memory section of your brain, where the Neurons are constantly firing off, storing and pulling up memories when the other parts of your dictate it?

But that's just my theory. And I'm and idiot who understands the laws of surrealitly better than those of Normal realaity.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: On what Chig said.

Post by SandChigger »

How do you know she talks to it if you're aslee...oh, never mind.

Are you sure it's that she's referring to as "dick" when she thinks you're asleep? ;)
Sole Man

on how my Sadistic Girlfriend talks to my dick.

Post by Sole Man »

I Don't knoq Chig, she just looks at it and makes choerent sounds that are interperted as being symbols for concepts at it. Of course I've been wrong before...

Anyway, Sometimes...Sometimes I think it responds.
Last edited by Sole Man on 05 Dec 2008 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I could believe that his best memories thus far in his short life are there. ;)
Sole Man

on the masterbation techniques..

Post by Sole Man »

I actually know how to respond to that, but it would just be repetive and sound like a bad 14-year-ld boy joke.

Unless...

Wiat, I've got it!

*While shaking hand up and down* Do you play with the Wii? Do you play with the Wii?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I guess that's another one of those you have to be there for.

How glad I am I'm not. :lol: