someone save this Poor Child before it's Too Late .....

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

someone save this Poor Child before it's Too Late .....

Post by SandRider »

Over There >> All Things Dune >> Quick question from a Dune newbie ... // today
in his first post, mulletsavant wrote:I've just seen the David Lynch film, and I'm about 50 pages into the first novel (and I think I'm already hooked) but I have a silly question. I know they mention the original Dune is set in the year 10,000 (roughly) Did Herbert intend for this to be 8,000 years from the present? Are the "humans" in Dune supposed to be our actual descendants? Or this a completely alternate universe with no tie to actual human history such as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. I'm assuming this will be covered in the pre-quals, but I'm guessing it will be a while before I get to read those.

Thanks!
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: someone save this Poor Child before it's Too Late .....

Post by Serkanner »

SandRider wrote:
in his first post, mulletsavant wrote:I've just seen the David Lynch film, and I'm about 50 pages into the first novel (and I think I'm already hooked) but I have a silly question. I know they mention the original Dune is set in the year 10,000 (roughly) Did Herbert intend for this to be 8,000 years from the present? Are the "humans" in Dune supposed to be our actual descendants? Or this a completely alternate universe with no tie to actual human history such as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. I'm assuming this will be covered in the pre-quals, but I'm guessing it will be a while before I get to read those.

Thanks!
Beyond saving. An icepick in the forehead is all that remains.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Serkanner wrote:
SandRider wrote:
in his first post, mulletsavant wrote:I'm assuming this will be covered in the pre-quals, but I'm guessing it will be a while before I get to read those.

Thanks!
Beyond saving. An icepick in the forehead is all that remains.
He hasn't read anything yet - I think there is hope. Maybe he'll read the originals first and do the sensible thing when he encounters the prequels; hate them with all his heart.
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

There is only one thing we can do. *Pulls out his copy of the OC Bible* Pray really really hard!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Until you read the Appendices at the end you really have no way of orienting the timeline or knowing even roughly when the events are taking place.

But this dolt has obviously already missed the fact that the chronology is A.G. not A.D.

Serkanner called it: spike in the head. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

no, no, no, you bloodthirsty flamemongers !

I meant someone get to him Over There and direct him Over Here
before he starts talking to those spambots and is confused with
noDune bullshit - we have a pristine mind here on which to test theories !

it may be too late - Merritt already responded to him, and probably
sent him a PM warning him to beware of Lunatics bearing the Truth.
He'll feel "special" {Simon-like special}, because the GRANDSON
OF FRANK HERBERT talked to me !!

or a pre-emptive spike to the head, like in those zombie movies when
the hero's best friend breaks his leg & just can't run anymore.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Lundse wrote:He hasn't read anything yet - I think there is hope. Maybe he'll read the originals first and do the sensible thing when he encounters the prequels; hate them with all his heart.
Bila Kaifa!
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Until you read the Appendices at the end you really have no way of orienting the timeline or knowing even roughly when the events are taking place.
Exactly.
trang

Post by trang »

some souls must be sacrificed in the name of the Jihad, two words:

Smith and Wesson.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

trang wrote:some souls must be sacrificed in the name of the Jihad, two words:

Smith and Wesson.

Trang
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I read FH's books first and then went on to the 'quels. I think if I'd started with the prequels I wouldn't have made it to Dune.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandChigger wrote:But this dolt has obviously already missed the fact that the chronology is A.G. not A.D.

Serkanner called it: spike in the head. ;)
Come on, he is probably young and a bit insecure. Dune was my first piece of literature (as I am guessing it is for him) and required me to do a lot more thinking than I was used to - if I had a friend who had read it, I might have asked him whether AG was some weird way of saying AD or something else entirely.

Not everyone new to Dune is an idiot, but those who can read the originals and not hate the KJA trash are 'literarilly defect'.

This guy has not read Dune yet, and even if he makes mistakes along the way, he may still find a lot of stuff there which the new shit simply cannot live up to!

Lets make OH mean we are orthodox in the sense of taking Frank's themes, ideas and literary creations serious and not accepting those who shit on them for cash.
But be tolerant to those who have not read, or maybe understood, Dune... yet!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Any reader who asks a question within 50 pages of Dune and also manages to mention the prequels in its first post is a lost cause in my opinion. Besides that I am just a blood thirsty asshole.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Serkanner wrote:Any reader who asks a question within 50 pages of Dune and also manages to mention the prequels in its first post is a lost cause in my opinion. Besides that I am just a blood thirsty asshole.
Remember, he does not know they are shit!

He does not even know how good Dune is, yet.

He even asked if Brian is really Frank's son - he is not into this entire scene yet. He saw the movie and, almost by blind luck, picked up the right book (if he had wandered into a book store and asked for Dune they might have given him the 'first in the chronology' - in which case I am all for laying hate on the store).
But it is not his fault that there exists two sets of authors, and it is not his fault he is ignorant - only if he is unwilling to learn!

And he is asking. Not in the right place, mind you - but he could not have known that either.

So far, he knows far too little, and has posted far less, for us to make any judgement about him.
Lets see if someone won't invite him over here, and see what he has to say when he arrives. Or maybe someone will keep us posted on what goes on 'over there'...?
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Serkanner wrote:Any reader who asks a question within 50 pages of Dune and also manages to mention the prequels in its first post is a lost cause in my opinion. Besides that I am just a blood thirsty asshole.
Don't EVER change... :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

lessee ..... ok
Serkanner wrote: Besides that I am just a blood thirsty asshole.
I hope you're not implying that I called you a "blood thirsty asshole" - I called you & the Tick "blood thirsty flamemongers", which is a totally different thing. Then Trang starts calling for sacrifices, you can see how quickly something like this could spiral out of control. Also, and this has been bothering me, but the "spike to the head" thing has set up an audio-loop in my mind of "Boot to the Head" - where the hell is that from, and why do I feel it's got something to do with the Canadians ?
Rakis wrote:let's get him over here, give him guidance through Dune as needed and ensure another is added to our fold
That was my original point - Merrit's Freakbanned the last sockpuppet I had control of Over There, so I was hinting that someone with access to the PM system should recruit him. And all new users, for that matter. I was doing that for a time, but someone either told Merritt about it, or he reads "Private Messages" because I had ZERO posts, just a mess of messages. I believe in being upfront and public about this, too. Yes, Merritt, I'm trying to steer people clear of you and your board and Kevin's (Keith's ?) books, and I WANT you to know it. You and your people are Evil-doers of Evil-doings. You're actually extremely lucky that I'm not taking this as seriously as a politcal campaign, but see it more as a hobby to occupy my time while waiting for the surgeons to come to some consensus about how to cut on me. Also, I'm extremely late to this game, and I've got to play catch-up.
Lundse wrote:Or maybe someone will keep us posted on what goes on 'over there'...?
Bet on that. You folks go on about your daily jobs, I've got nothing better to do, now that the election is over. And it's become a game now, with all this IP blocking non-sense. America. Public Domain. Big Boys play Hardball. Cowboy up or get the fuck out...
ImageImage

Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandRider wrote:Also, and this has been bothering me, but the "spike to the head" thing has set up an audio-loop in my mind of "Boot to the Head" - where the hell is that from, and why do I feel it's got something to do with the Canadians ?
It is from Dr. Demento, dunno who exactly made it, though - or if it has anything to do with Canadians...

Pretty funny.

Ahh, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_to_the_Head

http://beagleweb.com/fun-taekwanleap.html
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Exactly. The Frantics, thank you.
ImageImage

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I don't blame people for being introduced to Dune through the lousy KJA trash novels or for being newbs to Dune.

I do blame them for liking the KJA novels and I do blame them for not embracing Frank Herbert's brilliance once they know the truth of the whole bloody mess the HLP concocted :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Sole Man

on Dune newb

Post by Sole Man »

I bet I could get my sadistic thirst satisfied with this little maggot...
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandRider wrote:lessee ..... ok
Serkanner wrote: Besides that I am just a blood thirsty asshole.
I hope you're not implying that I called you a "blood thirsty asshole" - I called you & the Tick "blood thirsty flamemongers", which is a totally different thing.
:lol: ... I wasn't not implying that at all. It is spot on though - at times I am an asshole; plain and simple.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

alrighty, then. Welcome to The Club.
We meet every Thursday beside the dumpster out back of the American Legion 'bout 10pm or so ...
ImageImage

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:alrighty, then. Welcome to The Club.
We meet every Thursday beside the dumpster out back of the American Legion 'bout 10pm or so ...
I'm an American Legion member!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandRider wrote:alrighty, then. Welcome to The Club.
If Concorde was still in service I would consider to drop by, because the current trans-atlantic flight times are not really by idea of fun.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

cmon, have you guys lost your guile?

Hey Byron: anyone named Mulletsavant is obviously one of our sock puppets

In his first post he plants seeds about where to start, which has been a taboo subject, and asks for opinion, which always lead as you claim to flame wars (or as we like to call them truth vs owned copyright abuse wars)

There he's as good as banned, one way or another he can now only find a home here with the true believers
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus