someone save this Poor Child before it's Too Late .....

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

mulletsavant is jacurutu's 200th registered user.
does he get a cookie ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
mulletsavant

Post by mulletsavant »

I thought the 200th member got a spike to the forehead?...damn

Greetings everyone, seriously how could I not join after reading this thread? :D
"Is A.G. the same as A.D.?"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

No spikes. There is only A BULLET IN THE HEAD! :wink: :P

Welcome to the forums!
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Welcome! Always happy to have a newbie. Pay not attention to the negative press we get.

How are you liking Dune? What part are you up to? Im in the process of rereading it right now too.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
mulletsavant

Post by mulletsavant »

Omphalos wrote:Welcome! Always happy to have a newbie. Pay not attention to the negative press we get.

How are you liking Dune? What part are you up to? Im in the process of rereading it right now too.
I'm not very far along, only about 80-90 pages in, basically to the point where the Atreides are in a roundtable discussion about the future plans for Dune, and how the outlook is grim. Eerily similar to our current news headlines.

Anyway, as a Dune newbie, and I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of infantile questions on here, so feel free to show off your vast Dune knowledge, or just flame away, either way it will be entertaining.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

mulletsavant wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Welcome! Always happy to have a newbie. Pay not attention to the negative press we get.

I'm not very far along, only about 80-90 pages in, basically to the point where the Atreides are in a roundtable discussion about the future plans for Dune, and how the outlook is grim. Eerily similar to our current news headlines.

Anyway, as a Dune newbie, and I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of infantile questions on here, so feel free to show off your vast Dune knowledge, or just flame away, either way it will be entertaining.
Great! Dont be shy about starting new topics. You are coming up to my favorite part of the book, the end of book 1, Dune, where Paul and Jessica are in a still tent and Paul has his first real visions.

Goodnight Golden Path!
mulletsavant

Post by mulletsavant »

Omphalos wrote:
mulletsavant wrote:

Great! Dont be shy about starting new topics. You are coming up to my favorite part of the book, the end of book 1, Dune, where Paul and Jessica are in a still tent and Paul has his first real visions.
Don't worry I'll start plenty of threads. I got into Dune initially because of the religious/philosophical/psycholgical aspects. That always sparks some interesting mental jousts.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

mulletsavant wrote:I'm not very far along, only about 80-90 pages in, basically to the point where the Atreides are in a roundtable discussion about the future plans for Dune, and how the outlook is grim.
That section you're in right now is, roughly speaking, my favorite part of the whole Dune cycle. Actually, the first six chapters as a whole are an outstanding example of world-building.

Enjoy yourself; you're discovering a wonderful fictional universe.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:
mulletsavant wrote:I'm not very far along, only about 80-90 pages in, basically to the point where the Atreides are in a roundtable discussion about the future plans for Dune, and how the outlook is grim.
That section you're in right now is, roughly speaking, my favorite part of the whole Dune cycle. Actually, the first six chapters as a whole are an outstanding example of world-building.

Enjoy yourself; you're discovering a wonderful fictional universe.
I enjoyed that scene too, but the dinner scene and the still tent scene in that first book are just amazingly well done. In the defense meeting scene Paul is just kind of a lump. He really comes out of his shell later on in those two later scenes though, which is probably why I like them more.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

be sure to let us know when Merritt bans you Over There ....
ImageImage

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

True enough.

I'm sure you noticed in the miniseries that they gave Paul some lines that were spoken by other characters in the novel.

Sitting around and just soaking up knowledge might work well on the page, but it's not very visual. I guess I can't blame them too much.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Amazing beginning in general.
I might have said this already, but I was so surprised when I re-read the books and found out that the world and characters I knew so well were being desribed in so few chapters.
Another reason I think Dune is better than his other work - only The White Plague has that convincing (and swift) characterization.

Oh, and mulletsavant - welcome, glad you came!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

mulletsavant wrote:I got into Dune initially because of the religious/philosophical/psycholgical aspects.
Welcome. And I envy you reading the books for the first time. I hope you enjoy them.

HBJ
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Welcome mulletsavant, twice welcome! :lol:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome Mr. Mullet!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I agree, the first few chapters of Dune are my favorites to re-read. Reading them really makes me think that Dune can be easily converted into a weekly serial, if someone had the balls to stick to the book verbatim.

Welcome Welcome!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

mulletsavant wrote:

You have been accepted in the Religion of Muad'dib!

I really like to help newbies. If you have any doubt I'm here only to serve!

It haven't been much time since I've read all the series, so I think I can understand how you feel as being drawn to this great fictional universe. But remenber, the real Duniverse is the only one that have come from Frank Herbert's mind. All the other books are heresy! :P
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals