The Wisdom of BobaMatt

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

The Wisdom of BobaMatt

Post by SandRider »

Over There, BobaMatt wrote:Coming to this board {ed:The Dune-Sketch} from a long time posting in Star Wars forums, I'll have to submit that canonicity is somewhat flexible. It {ed: Dune Ency} could be considered outdated and incomplete without considering it completely noncanon - considering how many Star Wars reference books came out before all the reshuffling that came about due to the prequel movies, this fact becomes more clear. It's fiction, and since none of it's true it can be played with.
What's more the Dune: Encyclopedia is an in-universe document, which is a common out used in Star Wars books to explain canon conflicts that arise when new material is released.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Oh right. So KJA isn't being a spineless, cowardly, lazy author who is trying to cover his ineptness by undermining the integrity of the original novels.

This is a standard way of dealing with a common problem.

Man, I hate myself for not giving KJA more credit.

HBJ
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

HBJ wrote:This is a standard way of dealing with a common problem.
y'all correct me if I'm wrong here, but that was kinda my point.
didn't Kevin write alot of the Star Wars bullshit ? didn't he re-"write"
the basic storylines to fit whatever the hell it was he was "envisioning" ?
I never read any of the Star Wars bullshit, either, I'm just assuming here ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Yeah, I'm assuming he just used the same philosophy in Dune that is prevalent in Star Wars, not understanding or caring that what you can get away with in SW (a less rigorous, multi-author domain) will not do for Dune.

(Just to clarify, my post wasn't in any way bashing you, SR. It was intended to be critical of the post you quoted, echoing the point you were making).

HBJ
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I know that, brother ...

I was pointing out this was coming from a Star Wars fan :roll:
who accepts this kind of thing ...
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, Kevin IS writing Dune for those fans, no? :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Sole Man

on KJA STARWARS books

Post by Sole Man »

I will admit, the STAR WARS TALES (Novels, not the comic books) were good, even though they were edited by Mr. Anderson himself. (Which probably means he didn't touch them at all)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, he touched them alright.

While he touched himself. :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:Oh, he touched them alright.

While he touched himself. :shock:
Well, I guess whatever works for him. :vomit:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Over Here, in a different guise, BobaMatt wrote:Anyway, my larger point is that we can either be militant about it, or we can say, "Alright, they're asking me to accept this as canon. Now...how the fuck do we go about doing that?" while still kind of not caring about KjA's "work." As it's fiction, and not history, it lends itself particularly well to being approached from a number of angles without affecting how you actually feel about things.
ImageImage

EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

I wrote:You also have to take into account who I was talking to: I was trying to make sure a thread that the boardadmin would likely find controversial fly without argument. That being said, I still - to some extent - hold to that thought, as, well, if FH ever wrote an inconsistency into his books, we'd probably retcon it.

The problem comes when something is so egregious and inconsistent that the previous, better book takes precedence. I stopped reading House Atreides when I got to the robotic shuttle.

Anyway, my larger point is that we can either be militant about it, or we can say, "Alright, they're asking me to accept this as canon. Now...how the fuck do we go about doing that?" while still kind of not caring about KjA's "work." As it's fiction, and not history, it lends itself particularly well to being approached from a number of angles without affecting how you actually feel about things.
I wrote:I'm not saying it's okay. I'd rather the new Dune books were never written, or if they had, that they'd been handled by someone with a better understanding of the universe. I'm also not suggesting anyone accept them as canon, as I don't, and don't expect anyone interested in entertaining this whim of mine to, either.

What I'm positing is that, since we're being asked to accept the damn books as canon, it might prove amusing - say, during a bout of insomnia or procrastination - to try and figure out why the fuck the Guild would have robotic shuttles after the Butlerian Jihad.
For the sake of completeness.
:twisted:
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

good catch
ImageImage

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

:lol: He's only been here five minutes and he gets a thread dedicated to him. Nice work!
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

long story - I did this in the middle of the week, thinking he would provide amusement Over There - he may actually be too smart for Over There, despite the Star Wars handicap. Should have waited atleast a week to see how it panned out, but I am bored, invalid, and a raving
:post whore:
ImageImage

EsperandoAGodot

Ha!

I can like crappy pulp and intellectual stuff at the same time. It's my prerogative as an East Coast elitist.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Are you an invalid? What's wrong with you?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
EsperandoAGodot

lol

Slow Sunday morning. Must go be productive now, though.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ruptured disc between L4&L5, compressed L5 scraping S1, I've been shot up with all kinds of steriods and traction and loritabs that I'm not supposed to be taking and drinking but fuck that, and haven't you read my rambling, pain & drug induced rants that look similar to this only with a lot more typos and misspellings and make much less sense ? Okay maybe not much less sense, but anyway I'm waiting for the surgeons to decide when they want to cut into me so I'm kinda trapped here in the house in front of this computer command station in a real comfy chair with wheels that I've got the dogs harnessed to so I can get up and down the hall and over to the liquor cabinet. Now we're doing the "chat" thing that's been irritating people. How was your week ?
ImageImage

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Really busy but good, thanks. I'm being worked like a dog but I like it. :lol: On Friday I went straight out on the piss after work which was a good laugh, then Saturday we were going to watch the fireworks as 5th November is Bonfire Night here in the UK but they usually move it to the Saturday after. In the end we were invited to dinner so we went there instead, which was great. Today has been a really lazy day.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Out to dinner or to someone's home ? What did you have ? Is there a special meal associated with Guy Fawkes ? How's your mum ?
ImageImage

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandRider wrote:Out to dinner or to someone's home?
At a mate's house. He's an amazing cook.
What did you have ?

One of the best steaks I've ever tasted. It was glorious.
Is there a special meal associated with Guy Fawkes ?
Toffee apples and roasted chestnuts.
How's your mum ?
She's amazing. :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

now by toffe apples, do mean what we call candied apples ? covered in caramel or something similar with a stick pushed in it for a handle ? chestnuts used to associated with Christmas, but I remember reading something somewhere about a fungus that killed all the chestnut trees. maybe that was just over here, or maybe it was something else entirely. do you happen to know just why those foods are associated with the 5th of November ?
ImageImage

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:ruptured disc between L4&L5, compressed L5 scraping S1, I've been shot up with all kinds of steriods and traction and loritabs that I'm not supposed to be taking and drinking but fuck that, and haven't you read my rambling, pain & drug induced rants that look similar to this only with a lot more typos and misspellings and make much less sense ? Okay maybe not much less sense, but anyway I'm waiting for the surgeons to decide when they want to cut into me so I'm kinda trapped here in the house in front of this computer command station in a real comfy chair with wheels that I've got the dogs harnessed to so I can get up and down the hall and over to the liquor cabinet. Now we're doing the "chat" thing that's been irritating people. How was your week ?
What course of injections are you on? I deal with this condition all the time in my work. Are you headed towards a a fusion surgery?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Without the benefit of a chat function, ESI, Epidural Steroid Injection. As to what the specific shit is that monster's been jabbing into me, I don't know without looking at all the paperwork they told me to read, which I just signed when I gave them my credit card. They want to do another week of PT (traction) and another injection Saturday (the third), then decide on surgery. So far, none of it has made much difference in the intensity of the pain, and the MRI results were just scary as all hell. There's the nerve, there the two bones squeezing the disc material out into it. It's all just bullshit, and God punishing me for my lifestyle and political beliefs.
ImageImage