Dune Audio Books

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

BasharTeg

Dune Audio Books

Post by BasharTeg »

Hi all,

I just wanted to get everyones opinions on the new ''full cast'' recordings of the Dune novels, not the crappy prequels/KJA Brian Herbert stuff.

I bought the new Dune recording by Audio Renaissance and I thought it was great. Although they pronounce some words differently than I did while I was reading it, it was still quite good. It really brings you into Herbert's world. I'm a big fan of audio books as I commute over an hour each way to work and this was quite a treat.

I've noticed that the first four new recordings are available, and Heretics is due out today actually and Chapterhouse in February.

I have some original recordings of the Dune novels which were done in the 90s, but are not full cast recordings. Let me know if anyone would want an mp3 copy of them and I will gladly make them, all six books fit onto 1 or 2 CDs as memory files, not audio files. You can them burn them to CDs or listen to them on your computer if you have the software.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I agree: they're pretty damn good. Not Irulan's-butterfly-hat good, you understand, but pretty good nonetheless.

I'll never forget listening to all of Dune Messiah on an up-and-back trip to the Bay Area. I brought along an iPod full of music, too, and never even powered it on.

Not to overlook the best bonus of all: all content is 100-percent free of Kevin J. Anderson!

(poor Scott Brick ... just trying to make a living and stuck reading that shit from KJA ... he must scour his tongue every night)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Purge

Post by Purge »

I was trying to find the previous discussion about Dune audo books. Freak mentioned one he has, and a few others mentioned ones they have. I am interested in purchasing an audo book for Dune. Does anyone know the quality of the most recent Dune audio book? I saw it at Borders but I held off on buying it because I thought someone here had panned it. What's the scoop?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Dune read by Connor O'Brien is horrible. Avoid it like the plague - it was one of the first audiobooks I tried to listen to and it put me off the concept totally.

The only other Dune audiobook I've listened to is Paul of Dune read by Scott Brick. Which (despite the source material) was Bluddy brilliant :D. I would not have finished that book if I had to read it for myself.

Have a look on www.audible.co.uk or do a google, you can listen to short samples of the books before you buy. Or the best thing to do (if you can) is to get it from your local library. Nobody's told them about mp3 players yet :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nobody's told them about mp3 players yet :P
The people currently associated with all aspects of Dune publishing are not the swiftest in the pack when it comes to things technological. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"