Will soon be in FH overload!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

sparafucile

Will soon be in FH overload!

Post by sparafucile »

A friend of mine managed to find someone at her work willing to sell a buttload of FH books for a mere 20$! She said they included all the truDune books along with several others, like the Lazarus Effect, the Green Brain, the White Plague, etc. I'm looking forward to it! Is there any that are particularly good which I should read first?
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

The Consentiency Universe is an interesting read (Whipping Star, Dosadi Experiment). I'm almost done Dosadi and it's pretty crazy.

The White Plague was pretty interesting. It's always fun reading his other books and seeing the parallels to Dune. For instance, in White Plague there's a character named O'Neill who ends up compressing his identity into his subconscious and assuming a new ego. But sometimes the inner self would speak to him, and Frank would write something like "He could feel O'Neil-within stirring..." Which always reminded me of when FH said "Odrade-within" in Chapterhouse. There are lots of little things like that.

None of it that I've read really measures up to the awesomeness of Dune though.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Will soon be in FH overload!

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

sparafucile wrote:A friend of mine managed to find someone at her work willing to sell a buttload of FH books for a mere 20$! She said they included all the truDune books along with several others, like the Lazarus Effect, the Green Brain, the White Plague, etc. I'm looking forward to it! Is there any that are particularly good which I should read first?
Is The Jesus Incident in there? I'd recommend that one highly, don't read Lazarus Effect or Ascention Factor without reading Jesus Incident first, it would make them less impressive. If the Eyes of Heisenberg is in there that's a good one too.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Personally, after Dune I think that The Dragon in the Sea is his best work, and then The White Plague, then The Santaroga Barrier. The next thing I would pick up are his short story volumes. I think that there are three, counting Eye.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:Personally, after Dune I think that The Dragon in the Sea is his best work, and then The White Plague, then The Santaroga Barrier. The next thing I would pick up are his short story volumes. I think that there are three, counting Eye.
I haven't made it all the way through Dragon in the Sea yet, but I do have a really cool first edition with a strange miss-printed covor. Kinda neat. I'll have to get on finishing that.

For collections of shorts there is Eye, The Book of Frank Herbert, The Worlds of Frank Herbert and The Best of Frank Herbert. As far as I know there is quite a bit of spillover from each to each, especially into Eye and, I assume via the title; Best of.
sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

I'm not sure yet exactly what novels I'll be getting at the moment other than classic Dune books and the other three I mentioned. In her email my friend called one of them the Lazarus Incident, which must certainly be a title confusion. I'm really hoping it has at least the first book or two of Dosadi, I've been wanting to try that one, purely because I like the name of the second (?) book, Whipping Star :D.
Druken Idaho wrote:None of it that I've read really measures up to the awesomeness of Dune though.
No doubt! :D
A Thing of Eternity

sparafucile wrote:I'm not sure yet exactly what novels I'll be getting at the moment other than classic Dune books and the other three I mentioned. In her email my friend called one of them the Lazarus Incident, which must certainly be a title confusion. I'm really hoping it has at least the first book or two of Dosadi, I've been wanting to try that one, purely because I like the name of the second (?) book, Whipping Star :D.
Druken Idaho wrote:None of it that I've read really measures up to the awesomeness of Dune though.
No doubt! :D
First book is Whipping Star and The Dosadi Experiment is the second book.

Both very good books.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

He probably meant The Lazarus Effect.

http://www.amazon.com/Lazarus-Effect-Fr ... 0441475213

It is the third book in the Pandora (Voidship) Series.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Baraka Bryan wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:[ but I do have a really cool first edition with a strange miss-printed covor.

was that an intended pun? :lol:
No, :oops: but if I was a less honest man I'd take credit for it - what a great pun that would have been!
Sole Man

on FH books

Post by Sole Man »

I'm with Omphalos
trang

Post by trang »

I have collected Paperbacks of all his books and collections that I could find.

I have read whipping star and dosadi and they are really good.

I have read destination void which is good also, pretty hard sci-fi, its the prelude to the pandora series.

EYE has the two prequel stories for the main character in Whipping star, so might check those out as well.

I liked Opmhalos's review of Dragon of the sea on his site and plan to read that as well, sounds really good.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

sparafucile

Post by sparafucile »

Well, long story short, the lady I would have been buying all the books from can't find them, and thinks she might have already given them away or sold them. So looks like I'm out of luck for now. However, she did have one book of FH, The Santaroga Barrier, and I've started reading it slowly.

Oh well. Guess I'll actually have to spend more than 20 bucks to get these books after all. :D
Sole Man

on what's his names problem

Post by Sole Man »

Your pain makes me happy.

:twisted:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: on what's his names problem

Post by Omphalos »

Sole Man wrote:Your pain makes me happy.

Dont be an ass, Sloey.

Seriously, go write some fanfic and work through the voices that are talking to you today.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: on what's his names problem

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Sole Man wrote:Your pain makes me happy.

Dont be an ass, Sloey.

Seriously, go write some fanfic and work through the voices that are talking to you today.
If he were older, I'd recommend heavy drinking.

Teenagers... :roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'll tell you what I'm lovin' right now is these 750ml plastic bottles of Wellers.
SandChigger posted some bullshit or other last night that had me
literally convulsing, choking on my own spit (hi,mandy!), flopping my
arms around - knock that bottle right off the desk; it just bounced
twice and rolled underneath the stove. Crawled over there, retrieved
it and poured myself s'more. :D
A Thing of Eternity

Plastic bottles are almost always a good idea for heavy drinking.